Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material] - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-10-2013, 16:51   #16
Fieldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by campo View Post
Have a look at the ouya console , it's about 90e but perfect for xbmc
Surely any quad core with 2Gb ram beats a Ouya hands down?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-10-2013, 16:57   #17
campo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldog View Post
Depends on what OP wants to use xbmc for , but if just for streaming I find the ouya very good
22-10-2013, 17:32   #18
iba

Quote:
Have a look at the ouya console , it's about 90e but perfect for xbmc
I was just looking at that box and it seems very good and also seems to be supported by the XBMC community and I'm also looking at this Gbox midnite.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Box-Midnig...=gbox+midnight

Other ones that have popped up seem to be Odroid, Pivos and ATV 1200

Just finished reading teh thread that zerks posted a few posts back. The main recommended there seem to be Prometheus and the MK908B and MK908II (or maybe they are the same box). Really is a massive choice.

Last edited by iba; 22-10-2013 at 17:38.
22-10-2013, 17:33   #19
iba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldog View Post

But is a Quad core really needed or is a dual core sufficent?
22-10-2013, 17:36   #20
iba

Quote:
Depends on what OP wants to use xbmc for , but if just for streaming I find the ouya very good
I would use it mainly for watching 'Filmon' but as I'm only a beginner on XBMC, I'm not 100% sure of its full capabilities and all the things that it is good for yet. I have XBMC on my laptop and Nexus tablet at teh moment and practising with it.
Advertisement
22-10-2013, 17:41   #21
iba

Something else I think that I have just noticed and that is that teh MK908 is not full HD but only 780p - is this right?

I guess it is better to get a box that is fullHD 1080p
22-10-2013, 18:04   #22
Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by iba View Post
Something else I think that I have just noticed and that is that teh MK908 is not full HD but only 780p - is this right?
Not sure where you saw that, even the MK808 is 1080p. Anyway it's the MK908II (not MK908) you should be looking at, the one I linked above.

The Prometheus was mentioned because of a huge price drop, not sure if it's still at the low price now and because of it's Ethernet port etc. But some of these devices have some issues regarding heat and it's unclear which versions are being shipped by Geekbuying.

I've a dual core MK808b at the mo, but yes I would most definitely go for the quad core now as it can be a bit sluggish and sure why not for a few quid more!
Thanks from:
22-10-2013, 18:11   #23
Fieldog

Quote:
But is a Quad core really needed or is a dual core sufficent?
For Jellybean I think Quad core is the way to go, if its was 4.0 ICS dual core would be fine....
Thanks from:
22-10-2013, 18:55   #24
campo

Quote:
I would use it mainly for watching 'Filmon' but as I'm only a beginner on XBMC, I'm not 100% sure of its full capabilities and all the things that it is good for yet. I have XBMC on my laptop and Nexus tablet at teh moment and practising with it.
It does much more, but I probably cant say what but Youtube is your friend
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-10-2013, 20:46   #25
iba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Not sure where you saw that, even the MK808 is 1080p. Anyway it's the MK908II (not MK908) you should be looking at, the one I linked above.

The Prometheus was mentioned because of a huge price drop, not sure if it's still at the low price now and because of it's Ethernet port etc. But some of these devices have some issues regarding heat and it's unclear which versions are being shipped by Geekbuying.

I've a dual core MK808b at the mo, but yes I would most definitely go for the quad core now as it can be a bit sluggish and sure why not for a few quid more!
I looked at that link now - could not earlier on:

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Trons...ck-318432.html

its $70 now - thats a good price, yes? Not sure which of the extras I would need though.

Will have a look around that site later on at other boxes that they have; could only look at amazon earlier
22-10-2013, 20:55   #26
tony1980

You can get the MyGica510B for 77 euro, order through parcel motel for faster and cheaper delivery. It comes with linux XBMC pre-installed so may not be what you want. It is a fantastic device, I have it about 6 months or so and absolutely love it, boots straight into xbmc in seconds and is very responsive. I have no issues with it, wifi works great on it too!

http://www.futeko.com/products/MP047.php

This is suposed to be brilliant as well, only 53 euros! Whufclee on xbmctalk gave it a great review. He is one of the devs for xbmc.

http://www.futeko.com/products/MP046.php
Thanks from:
22-10-2013, 22:28   #27
Blade

Quote:
I looked at that link now - could not earlier on:

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Trons...ck-318432.html

its $70 now - thats a good price, yes? Not sure which of the extras I would need though.

Will have a look around that site later on at other boxes that they have; could only look at amazon earlier
I think it's cheaper when you pay in USD, but yes 54 Euro is good for a quad core with 2 Gigs of RAM, same price as some of the dual cores mentioned here. If you just want a dual core then you may as well go for the MK808b for 34 Euro:
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MK808...ck-313213.html

I would recommend you also go for the Tronsmart remote listed in the bundle I posted earlier, regardless of which of these Android devices you might go for. It's much neater than the likes of the RC11, batteries last longer and it has a motion sensor for games which the RC11 doesn't. If you also want to use the device for Skype or home security through Skype then add that camera from the bundle. Other webcams may not work.

P.S. you can also control these devices through your Android phone with apps like Droidmote or xbmc specific Yatse app, but the physical remote is nice to have.

It's free shipping from that site but as it's coming from China you might get hit for VAT as mentioned and the average wait is about 2 weeks.

Last edited by Blade; 22-10-2013 at 22:39.
Thanks from:
22-10-2013, 22:48   #28
eamonnq

Quote:
Originally Posted by emo72 View Post
Theres one guy on adverts selling one for 109. It's quad core and 2 gig ram and I would go with that to keep it running silky smooth. He also has xbmc installed with all the extras enabled.
Would the 'all the extras enabled' entail much work ? Have only installed XBMC on a PC but have not done much research into the 'extras' yet!!
22-10-2013, 22:54   #29
campo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamonnq View Post
Would the 'all the extras enabled' entail much work ? Have only installed XBMC on a PC but have not done much research into the 'extras' yet!!
Takes about 5 mins, again google and Youtube
22-10-2013, 22:54   #30
emo72

yeah, read his advert, although the price has taken a major price hike.

http://www.adverts.ie/media-players/...v-live/3667451

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion