Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 traffic much heavier recently?

Options
  • 02-10-2013 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed traffic on the M50 getting ridiculously heavy in the mornings recently? Maybe I should say that in particular I am talking about the stretch between Finglas and the Red Cow southbound.

I know the schools are back etc, but it was never this bad with the schools last year. I could get on at Finglas most mornings as late as 8:05 and be in citywest for 8:30 (during the summer i could get on at 8:10 and once i managed 8:15). There was a bit of a slowdown around Lucan and that was it, unless there was a crash. Now I find myself joining traffic already at a standstill or crawling to one. It takes at least 30 minutes just to reach the red cow and there is no longer any obvious consistency in which lanes move faster at certain points.

I don't need to be told to "just leave earlier", what I'm wondering is if a lot of other people have noticed this and if anyone knows why it's happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭markest

Seems to be more commercial vehicles on the road. Sign of an improving economy maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Yup, as of about 2 weeks ago it has become mental. I used to hit it every morning for a short stretch between Ballymun and Blanch.
    Now I take the back roads through Finglas -> Cappagh because the traffic is so bad.

I understand bad weather causes (most) people to slow down but this degree of tailback is far beyond that. Really curious what is causing it too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

The traffic in general ( Dublin traffic ) seems to be much worse in the last 2 weeks , much worse than last year when the schools went back

The M4 is at a standstill most mornings at Celbridge now at 07:30 , yesterday I couldn't even get on the motorway and used the back roads ( Hazelhatch/Nangor Rd ).

This time last year it was taking me 15 mins to get to work , now taking me 20-25 mins at the exact same time.

Lets hope its a good sign !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

whatever you do don't drive down whitxworth road regularly taking twenty minutes end to end last two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

I find it hard to believe it's a business upturn because there were virtually no delays during the summer. I was wondering if maybe schools are starting earlier this year? I suppose the traffic during midterm breaks will tell the tale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Thanks for starting the thread - I was going to start one myself.

I was listening to AA Roadwatch this morning and they were saying the section from Blanchardstown to Firhouse was very slow.

The also said that it could take an hour to get from the M1 junction to the Firhouse junction! :eek:

So, my question is, having expanded it to three lanes (and four in places) is it now under-capacity?

Or is it traffic not clearing off the junctions quickly enough, leading to tailbacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

This happens every year when the schools and also (particularly) when the colleges return. We all have very selective memories to a degree about this. The same problems occur every year right across the city:

1) People find it particularly hard to get onto buses as they are all full
    2) Traffic gets particularly heavy in the morning peak

It takes several weeks for everything to settle down again as people re-adjust their departure times, students settle into a standard pattern rather than all returning at once, and by mid-October things settle back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

The increased traffic is caused by the fact that the M1 upgrade is now complete and there is no delay for traffic coming down the M1 and joining the M50 SB. Previously traffic would crawl from before J4 Donabate past junction 3 Swords. This acted as a throttle to prevent the M50 getting too busy. This traffic now flows straight onto the M50 and as a result the usual slowdown between J7 and J9 is starting even further back at J4.

Also the schools traffic, ie parents bringing children to school, has no bearing on the traffic on the M50. The only reason the traffic gets worse when the schools go back is that roughly 20% of the workforce are on annual leave in July and August. That makes a huge difference.

Also the crap weather hasn't helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

tobsey wrote: »
    The increased traffic is caused by the fact that the M1 upgrade is now complete and there is no delay for traffic coming down the M1 and joining the M50 SB. Previously traffic would crawl from before J4 Donabate past junction 3 Swords. This acted as a throttle to prevent the M50 getting too busy. This traffic now flows straight onto the M50 and as a result the usual slowdown between J7 and J9 is starting even further back at J4.

Also the schools traffic, ie parents bringing children to school, has no bearing on the traffic on the M50. The only reason the traffic gets worse when the schools go back is that roughly 20% of the workforce are on annual leave in July and August. That makes a huge difference.

Also the crap weather hasn't helped.

Do teachers not drive as well?

People seem to forget that they are off the road during the summer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Compared to the number of students, I would say the number of teachers is very minimal.

I do however agree with you, that this happens every year. It takes a few weeks and people settle back into the routine. The question does however have to be asked about an outer ring road, say the M100, as it seems the M50 is going to be nearly at capacity in the next few years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Compared to the number of students, I would say the number of teachers is very minimal.

I do however agree with you, that this happens every year. It takes a few weeks and people settle back into the routine. The question does however have to be asked about an outer ring road, say the M100, as it seems the M50 is going to be nearly at capacity in the next few years!

As I understand its above safety limits currently and has being for many years now even after the upgrade.

Wasn't make for short hops as being used and I don't think an outer motorway is the answer as the level of traffic completely bypassing Dublin is very small, something else is needed to fix the current problem.
    More tolls on slip roads at least say every second or third junction would take lots of short hop traffic away which should be using other routes which have the capacity for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

tobsey wrote: »

This makes a lot of sense. I drive down from Drogheda and I learned very quickly after moving there to avoid the M1 in the mornings and instead go via Duleek and Ashbourne onto the M2. I was thinking of switching back to the M1 now that the work is complete, but if I'll just meet that same traffic as soon as I join the M50 I think I'll continue on my current route!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

lxflyer wrote: »
    Do teachers not drive as well?

People seem to forget that they are off the road during the summer too.
    Of course they are. They would be included in the 10-20%. I've no idea of the actual figures but in my office of 10 people there is always at least one if not two people off in July and August. I know it's not exactly an accurate reflection of the whole workforce but I'm fairly confident that's the issue in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

A major part of the issue is how Dublin City and environs has NEVER had administration which regarded Public Transport as an integral part of it's infrastructure.

For countles generations of Dublin's Senior Planners,Public Transport,particularly bus based,was a rather annoying element which they were losing patience with being forced to facilitate.

I'd have to agree with Eamonn Ryans views here....

http://www.thejournal.ie/eamon-ryan-calls-on-nta-to-publish-dublin-document-1082313-Sep2013/

Any observations involving the M50 will also have to take account of the fact that the N/M3 Meath is already at "Saturation Level" which entails every Licence holder in it's catchment actually having direct access to a vehicle they hold a licence for....now THAT is scary,if anybody is trying to make a case for Public Transport....

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    More tolls on slip roads at least say every second or third junction would take lots of short hop traffic away which should be using other routes which have the capacity for it.
    Where are these mystical roads within the M50 with free capacity? Because I've never seen them at rush hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Tragedy wrote: »
    Where are these mystical roads within the M50 with free capacity? Because I've never seen them at rush hour!

They don't exist,Tragedy.

We are still reluctant to admit that the removal of those thousands of "Inner City" families during the 1960's,without first putting a Public Transport plan in place,has proven disasterous for Dublin as a functional Capital City.

I am old and wizened enough to remember the opening of "Ballymun Flats" and the "dedicated" Bus Route,the 36,which was to serve those thousands of people for whom "Commuting" was as new and incredible an experience as their new abodes.

Did the "Authorities" provide a "New" Public Transport experience out to Ballymun Cross ?......did they heck !.....:o

Those folks got an example of the worst possible means of service provision to this new population centre.....Single Doored High-Floor,Short Wheelbase,Leyland Leopards conveniently converted to One-Man-Operation and operating from a wildly chaotic Parnell Square.

For years these vehicles swayed and lurched around the 36,36A and 36B routes in ever more vain attempts to cater for a HUGE demand for Public Transport,with many old photos still available (cue!) showing jammed "C" Class buses heading Ballymun wards with the driver barely visible amongst the standing throng.

Dublin NEVER had any policy regarding it's Mass Transit requirements,and in spite of all the waffling since Neil T Blaney's Ballymun Flats days,we still don't....NTA or no NTA :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I can't say I've noticed it a huge amount heavier in terms of volume.

If anything though, it is slower. Of 4 lanes, the two on the left are always empty. Those transiting between junctions or exiting at the next one continue to veer across 3 lanes at the last minute rather that correctly use the auxiliary lane, and nobody uses the driving lane for actually driving in because apparently it's unfashionable.

The Gardaí simply must start enforcing lane discipline. It's sickening to have to prevent myself from undertaking moron after endless bloody moron.

We also simply must employ the humble zebra crossing in this country. A massive contributor to slow traffic is endless pedestrian traffic lights. Put a zebra crossing on every junction and slap massive fines on morons that disregard them, and the need for stupid pedestrian lights disappears almost entirely. That, or of course employ footbridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭m0nsterie

lxflyer wrote: »
    This happens every year when the schools and also (particularly) when the colleges return. We all have very selective memories to a degree about this. The same problems occur every year right across the city:

1) People find it particularly hard to get onto buses as they are all full
    2) Traffic gets particularly heavy in the morning peak

It takes several weeks for everything to settle down again as people re-adjust their departure times, students settle into a standard pattern rather than all returning at once, and by mid-October things settle back down.

Anyone notice the traffic settling down yet? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bonbondar

Coming from Navan to Blancherdstown the traffic is a nightmare on the M3 coming up to Clonee/Damastown. Slows to a crawl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

As a new commuter on the m50 (m1 on ramp to exit14) I've found it progressively worse as the weeks have gone on.

Monday seems fine, but after that...an hour to get to the toll is rather crap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's loads of things I'd love to see the impact of quantified:

1: There has been an increase in employment.
    2: There are a number of companies now banning home-working, e.g. Yahoo.
    3: There are people who have returned to cars since Network Direct, e.g. there are far less buses serving many business parks than previously

Each of these has to have added some cars to the roads, albeit that could be a tiny amount. I know of people in my current/soon-to-be-former employers who've started driving since the ND changes to the Citywest routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

MYOB wrote: »
    There's loads of things I'd love to see the impact of quantified:

1: There has been an increase in employment.
    2: There are a number of companies now banning home-working, e.g. Yahoo.
    3: There are people who have returned to cars since Network Direct, e.g. there are far less buses serving many business parks than previously

Each of these has to have added some cars to the roads, albeit that could be a tiny amount. I know of people in my current/soon-to-be-former employers who've started driving since the ND changes to the Citywest routes.

They might be factors, but clearly the concept of 'Induced Demand' is at play here. In another few years the M50 will be as congested as it was prior to its upgrade, and no doubt the calls for even more widening by car commuters and motor lobby groups will be made.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

TINA1984 wrote: »
    They might be factors, but clearly the concept of 'Induced Demand' is at play here. In another few years the M50 will be as congested as it was prior to its upgrade, and no doubt the calls for even more widening by car commuters and motor lobby groups will be made.

Considering how many years post-upgrade it took for issues to occur, I think you're massively, massively, massively over-stating that one.

The option of sitting in an effective carpark is not an inducement to anyone sane. Methinks you've got a rather big axe you're trying to grind here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Not much room left, and double decker isn't an option at this late stage, so they will add more tolls as a disincentive. Its runs ok apart from the peak hour, or a crash. Most of might could be avoided if people left a sensible distance to the car in front

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

m0nsterie wrote: »
    Anyone notice the traffic settling down yet? :rolleyes:

Nope, I'm diriving west Wicklow into Rathcoole and it's driving me mad. Caravan train of vehicles doing 60-80 on a 100k road, go through Kilteel and save a bit of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

Considering how many years post-upgrade it took for issues to occur, I think you're massively, massively, massively over-stating that one.

Not many years, just 5 years, that's not a long time in the great scheme of things. Furthermore the economic shock the country endured around the time the very expensive upgrades came online is almost certainly the only reason the shiny, new and improved M50 has lasted as long as it has with only minor congestion issues in comparison to the bad ol' days.

I'd wager that as economic growth returns we'll see M50 congestion return to its starring role in traffic updates and as the bane of drivng commuters lives in the greater Dublin sprawl.
    The option of sitting in an effective carpark is not an inducement to anyone sane. Methinks you've got a rather big axe you're trying to grind here.

Tell me more about this axe I'm grinding oh wise one?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

bonbondar wrote: »
    Coming from Navan to Blancherdstown the traffic is a nightmare on the M3 coming up to Clonee/Damastown. Slows to a crawl.

It's always like that in the morning, it's the traffic going to IBM in Damastown and the industrial parks further on.

I often work in that area and either get there early, or else factor in about twenty minutes to get through it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Methinks you've got a rather big axe you're trying to grind here.
    Tell me more about this axe I'm grinding oh wise one?

Both of you: Drop the axes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The option of sitting in an effective carpark is not an inducement to anyone sane.

People often make choices which don't seem to sane. Transport choices is no different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Bad driving and merging is causing a chunk of the issue.

People join the motorway and head straight for lane 2 & 3. Cars that are in lane 1 do not move out of the way for cars to join the motorway and this causes slowdowns. Drivers also stay in lane 2 & 3 up to the last minute and then try to get to aux lane & lane 1 at the last minute.

All of this has contributed to the slowdowns and it was evident last Thursday when cars slowed before J6 then drove fine after until before J7.

Added to this is the buildup off the motorway tailing back up onto the M50.

I have been driving the M50 for 2 years now and it took me 35 mins from M1 J6 to M50 J7 leaving at 7:30. Now the same time and journey is 60-70 mins

Advertisement