Sent the text to the person the text was about - Page 3 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-09-2013, 23:53   #31
anncoates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ryan View Post
You could just delete the Facebook message before they see it...
Won't they still get an email notification containing the message if they have notifications on?

Plus they'll see it anyway.

As a rule I don't really bitch about people by text if they are a contact. Just do it in person if you really have to.

Last edited by anncoates; 11-09-2013 at 23:59.
Advertisement
11-09-2013, 23:53   #32
Legs.Eleven
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyWizzy View Post
Am I the only person in the world who doesn't send nasty messages about people to mutual friends? Why do that?

*Groan*
11-09-2013, 23:55   #33
IzzyWizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs.Eleven View Post
*Groan*
Seriously, though?

OP going 'oh, she'll think I was b*tching about her'.

That's exactly what you were doing.
11-09-2013, 23:55   #34
beks101

WHY has no-one invented an email system where you can immediately delete something you sent by accident before the Sendee reads it?? It seems so obvious.

The message was far too specific to the both of us to be a frape, so I'd imagine a "FCUK OFF LOLZ" would only worsen the situation.

And the last PMs we exchanged WERE about six months ago, so it'd be odd if they suddenly appeared in her inbox again. Besides, she assumedly has already received the notification.

So essentially, I'm screwed.

Ah feck it, we weren't that close.
11-09-2013, 23:55   #35
BNMC
Closed Account

Just block the person straight after you send the FB message.
Advertisement
11-09-2013, 23:57   #36
beks101

Quote:
Am I the only person in the world who doesn't send nasty messages about people to mutual friends?
Yes
(4) thanks from:
11-09-2013, 23:58   #37
HughMann

If you're in the kitchen when you send the offensive message, quickly put your phone in the microwave and close the door. Leave it there for a couple of days until your phone gives up on trying to send it. If it's really offensive, turn on microwave, 3 minutes at reheat should do it.
11-09-2013, 23:59   #38
Femme_Fatale
Closed Account

Quote:
Am I the only person in the world who doesn't send nasty messages about people to mutual friends? Why do that?
I don't send nasty messages about friends to other friends of course, but if a friend was being really out of order, you might confide in another friend about it.
12-09-2013, 00:02   #39
anncoates

Quote:
Originally Posted by beks101 View Post
WHY has no-one invented an email system where you can immediately delete something you sent by accident before the Sendee reads it?? It seems so obvious.
You can recall messages with some clients as far as I know.

Plus I'm almost sure you can configure gmail to edit or cancel a sent message but it has a silly max configuration time that's quite short.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-09-2013, 00:02   #40
FizzleSticks

I've only done that on the old Nokia 3310 when the the sending message screen came on for about 20 seconds I'd still keep pressing the red button as if it would make any difference and switch off my phone, feckkk!

I was standing in town with my friend last year and tried to call the guy I was seeing at the time to see if he was going to pick us up as he said he would. There was no answer so I turn around to my friend and starting going off about how flaky that is and how there's always a catch.. I didn't realise it had gone to voicemail and he heard everything we said in that one minute but it did end with *fumble fumble* Oh sh*t it's on voicemail!

Needless to say we're no longer dating.
12-09-2013, 00:04   #41
Femme_Fatale
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by beks101 View Post
Although you know the way it says "Seen at whatever time" when you send someone a PM (which is now kinda doubled up with Chat) on Facebook? Maybe it can be deleted before it's seen. It's like a thread that two people are sharing, so maybe deleting goes both ways before it's seen? No use if they have email notifications for PM's set up, but not everyone does.
12-09-2013, 00:05   #42
beks101

Was wondering how long it would take for the Morality Police to arrive.

Said friend has been a known flake in our circle for the last six months, blatantly ignoring invites, text messages, phone calls etc.

So this message was in response to another message from a mutual friend a few days ago where myself, and Flaky Friend, were invited to dinner. I will be leaving Canada FOREVER in three weeks, so don't have much time to waste. Sent Said Message, intended for our mutual friend, explaining that time is the essence and we don't have time to wait on Flaky Friend to respond, when she likely won't.

It's nothing I wouldn't say to her face, but I guess I framed it less "diplomatically", because it wasn't intended for her this time.

Ah feck it, I'm going with LegsEleven on this one. It might kick her into action if nothing else.
12-09-2013, 00:06   #43
IzzyWizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Femme_Fatale View Post
I don't send nasty messages about friends to other friends of course, but if a friend was being really out of order, you might confide in another friend about it.
As in out of concern or as in 'this bloody cow is doing my head in'?

I just think sending any sort of negative written message (text, email or FB message) about someone else is retarded, b*tching aside. There's way too much that can go wrong, from sending it to the wrong person to it being forwarded on to the person in question (by mistake or out of malice), to someone borrowing someone else's laptop/phone and seeing it. There's always a fairly high chance it will be seen by someone other than the intended recipient.
12-09-2013, 00:07   #44
beks101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Femme_Fatale View Post
Although you know the way it says "Seen at whatever time" when you send someone a PM (which is now kinda doubled up with Chat) on Facebook? Maybe it can be deleted before it's seen. It's like a thread that two people are sharing, so maybe deleting goes both ways before it's seen? No use if they have email notifications for PM's set up, but not everyone does.
I wondered about this...but thought if I deleted it, it would just be gone from MY Inbox, and still present in hers?

Worth a shot I guess!
12-09-2013, 00:09   #45
Legs.Eleven
Closed Account

Why don't you test it out with another friend on Facebook? Send them a message, wait, delete it and see if they got it?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion