Silk Road: The eBay of Illegal Drugs - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-08-2013, 08:00   #1
GiftofGab

Silk Road: The eBay of Illegal Drugs

http://www.killyourdarlingsjournal.c...article&p=7478

Quote:
Half a dozen people sit around a lounge room in a funky inner-Melbourne apartment, sipping on beer and wine, each tapping away at a laptop. They’re all on their favourite website competing with people from around the world. But this is no geek-fest full of pasty, anti-social nerdlings who can only relate to pixels on a screen, nor is it a virtual gambling den with members playing poker games across cyberspace.
‘Woo hoo!’ cries a young man in his late 20s. ‘Seventy-five dollar voucher!’ The others are happy about his good fortune and eager to know what he’s going to spend it on. He scans the goods for sale, searching for the best value.
‘I think I’ll get a gram of MDMA from Germany.’
The others nod in approval; that will make eight strong ecstasy capsules, enough to see him through three weekends of partying. They all go back to their computers, calculating purchases and hoping they’ll win their own prize.
Every seven minutes, a lucky user somewhere in the world receives a private message telling them they’ve won anything from $20 to a Macbook Air. Not that it really matters if they win; like pretty much everything these days, the purchases made online are about a quarter of the price they would be expected to pay in a face-to-face transaction in Australia. They win regardless.
I was at a party a few weeks ago and one of the guys mentioned that he recently purchased drugs online. He didn’t mention which site or how much he paid for them but it got me interested. I always knew illegal drugs were available online but didn’t know how easy to were obtain. I don’t do drugs but I was curious to see what is out there. I did a quick Google search and came across a few articles about Silk Road.

I’m baffled that a site like this can continue without the authorities shutting it down. Apparently there has only been one conviction so far – from what I’ve read – in which the Australian authorities intercepted a package and raided a house in which they found passwords and user name to the website along with packages of drugs. Other than that they seem powerless. They dealers are apparently sophisticated enough that they can conceal packages from most border controls.

I have to agree thou – it looks like a better system that is in place now. Which implies risking your safety meeting a dodgy dealer down some back alley. It would also cut down on a lot of the gangland killings as dealers are competing with each other online and will have to come up with a clean product. Through Silk Road you buy directly from the supplier cutting out the middle man. I can out on average about half a dozen middle men. Users also have the option to read reviews of the product which would give a better idea of what they are buying and if it was highly contaminated / mixed with dangerous substances such as rat poison.

So what do you think?

Mods notes that I have absolutely no affiliation with this website. I don’t do drugs and completely condemn the use of illegal drugs. It just amazed me that a site like this exists.

Mod Note: Please don't quote full articles.

Last edited by humanji; 29-08-2013 at 08:47.
Advertisement
29-08-2013, 08:05   #2
Hasmunch

Quote:
Half a dozen people sit around a lounge room in a funky inner-Melbourne apartment
GiftofGab

Quote:
I don’t do drugs and completely condemn the use of illegal drugs.
Sure a friend told you all about this!!
29-08-2013, 08:25   #3
Eight Ball
Closed Account

Joooooooooooooooooooooooooe Duffy wont like this.
29-08-2013, 08:31   #4
realies
The man who never talked back

Way to long to read at this hour of the morning.
29-08-2013, 08:32   #5
Guy:Incognito

If its so easy to just send stuff in the post why is there a big thread about 2 20 year old girls in jail in peru?

Last edited by Guy:Incognito; 29-08-2013 at 08:35.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-08-2013, 08:36   #6
Sunglasses Ron

It's not as simple as going to the Silk Road website or anything.

You first have to access something called the Deep Web (god knows) and pay with some crap called Bitcoins.

Basically the thing looks so complicated it gave me a headache.
Thanks from:
29-08-2013, 08:40   #7
Leftist

Quote:
Originally Posted by realies View Post
Way to long to read at this hour of the morning.
this.

summarize it in 2 sentences please.
29-08-2013, 08:44   #8
mariaalice

Its news? that people are buying drugs on line after the head shops closed down!

I don't know how it could be stooped.
29-08-2013, 08:44   #9
jimgoose

Ah yes, good old *.onion.net. Crazy place, and a great yoke to stay away from.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-08-2013, 08:45   #10
kneemos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy:Incognito View Post
If its so easy to just send stuff in the post why is there a big thread about 2 20 year old girls in jail in peru?
These appear to be young professional types who haven't had their lives disassembled by taking drugs yet.
Your average junkie probably can't wait for the post.
29-08-2013, 08:54   #11
mariaalice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneemos View Post
These appear to be young professional types who haven't had their lives disassembled by taking drugs yet.
Your average junkie probably can't wait for the post.
Its called recerational drug use to make it sound better and to distance themselves from the junkies.
29-08-2013, 09:02   #12
The Backwards Man

Not doing drugs is an even cheaper, healthier, and much less dangerous way of working.
29-08-2013, 09:04   #13
Leftist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Backwards Man View Post
Not doing drugs is an even cheaper, healthier, and much less dangerous way of working.
Great insight. Can't believe more people haven't thought about this.
29-08-2013, 09:06   #14
The Backwards Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftist View Post
Great insight. Can't believe more people haven't thought about this.
Yep. Sometimes the simplest answer is staring you right in the face.
Thanks from:
29-08-2013, 09:06   #15
Seaneh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy:Incognito View Post
Because before someone in The US/Europe can post drugs from their apartment to someone on the other side of the world, they need to get their product. They have to source a supply for a product before they can sell it on, and that is where mules come in. The lads selling over Silk Road are buying their 1kg at a time from the same place the local scumbags supplying their junkie clients are, they aren't growing the stuff themselves.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion