Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Still nothing remotely interesting on this mornings offerings, mild, dry and calm for the foreseeable future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Well at least it feels slightly colder this morning. I got very rosy cheeks and a red nose walking into work, which gives me a very festive feeling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tiler Durden

Harps wrote: »
    Still nothing remotely interesting on this mornings offerings, mild, dry and calm for the foreseeable future

I'll take that.

Two out of three aint bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OMG 14/15 degrees next week according to MT! :eek::( I am NOT impressed. I hate mild weather in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

leahyl wrote: »
    OMG 14/15 degrees next week according to MT! :eek::( I am NOT impressed. I hate mild weather in winter.

But didn't that happen in 2010. Mild weather and then -20 degrees difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

leahyl wrote: »

Come on out to Canada if you hate mild winter weather

Screenshot_2013-12-04-13-17-05.png

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

stevenf17 wrote: »
    Come on out to Canada if you hate mild winter weather

Screenshot_2013-12-04-13-17-05.png

as much as I hate mild weather over the Christmas I think id rather that than -19...this country would grind to a complete halt... though if its still mild around Christmas I could change my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

howlinwolf wrote: »
    as much as I hate mild weather over the Christmas I think id rather that than -19...this country would grind to a complete halt... though if its still mild around Christmas I could change my mind

Yeah it most definitely would, but the airs so dry it doesn't seem so crazy cold, once your sealed up it's fine. It's to get into the -30's on Friday though so that could be a different story.
    There was a huge blizzard here on Monday and even over here the whole city ground to a halt for 2 days, but one big thing unlike home that makes it bearable is that it's so cold none of the snow has a chance to melt so there's no ice. There's none of that thaw freeze, thaw freeze like you get back home which I can remember from Dec/Jan 2010 made getting anywhere a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

it's looking like winter 1988-89 or even 1991-92 I'm afraid ( I'd love to be wrong)
    cheerio.
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsreaeur.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Hate snow, I don't mind the cold just don't give me snow, well I don't mind so so much its the bloody ice after it that wrecks my head, not too mention when it turns mucky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Hate snow, I don't mind the cold just don't give me snow, well I don't mind so so much its the bloody ice after it that wrecks my head, not too mention when it turns mucky

Ah heerrrreeee leavvveee ihh ouuuuu

• Registered Users Posts: 44 finnbob123

it's looking like winter 1988-89 or even 1991-92 I'm afraid ( I'd love to be wrong)
    cheerio.
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsreaeur.html
    I would think maybe the first half of the winter would be quite mild yes but I don't think the second half will be as mild. so maybe not quite like these years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

How long until someone mentions drought?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

dopolahpec wrote: »

Farmer told me yesterday that the water wells are low :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Ah sure when the water tax comes in next year there will be no more drought. Enda'll have a big shiny button on his desk that he can press to make it rain.

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Farmer told me yesterday that the water wells are low :)

I'd wonder about the capacity in Dublin. We had an extraordinary dry period in the summer, and now when we should be replenishing the deficit we see even more exceptionally dry conditions.

The less said about this never ending anticyclone on GFS the better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

http://www.nrk.no/video/ny_tv_serie_fra_nrk/567D368B3353B65A/

Here's a job a few snow bunnies in here would enjoy. (link to a trailer for a new Norwegian documentary)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

next week is almost looking like t-shirt weather! should be mostly dry with temps of 11-15C. So far one of the mildest/dryest starts to winter that I can remember, not exactly what snow lovers want but its sure a damn sight better than relentless atlantic wet muck. Really hoping things will change significantly during end of December/January!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tiler Durden

Gonzo wrote: »
    next week is almost looking like t-shirt weather! should be mostly dry with temps of 11-15C. So far one of the mildest/dryest starts to winter that I can remember, not exactly what snow lovers want but its sure a damn sight better than relentless atlantic wet muck. Really hoping things will change significantly during end of December/January!

Here here.

If we're not getting the cold stuff we may as well be getting the dry stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

No doubt about it, snow is the preference but dry weather the next best thing. Anything but rain!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Rain only annoys me when it's accompanied with a bastard of a westerly wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,285 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd wonder about the capacity in Dublin. We had an extraordinary dry period in the summer, and now when we should be replenishing the deficit we see even more exceptionally dry conditions.
    Vartry Reservoir (Roundwood) isn't particularly low at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Latest from Joe B

Winter mainly over continent of Europe next 2 weeks, but blocking developing means UK may have widespread white Christmas"

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

pad199207 wrote: »
    Latest from Joe B

Winter mainly over continent of Europe next 2 weeks, but blocking developing means UK may have widespread white Christmas"

Did he mention Ireland by any chance?

Nope he did not. Surprise surprise
    Just learned that he posted this a few days ago... my bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

pad199207 wrote: »
    Nope he did not. Surprise surprise
    Just learned that he posted this a few days ago... my bad!

Was it one of his tweets or a full run down of Winter in EUROPE THIS WINTER?

Ill be posting pictures later on the Calgary Blizzard over the last 3 days..........epic stuff

;)

Kippure wrote: »
    Was it one of his tweets or a full run down of Winter in EUROPE THIS WINTER?

Ill be posting pictures later on the Calgary Blizzard over the last 3 days..........epic stuff

;)

yup was one of his tweets

yeah mate on facebook has pics up on her page from calgary of the snow. It was -26.8c there this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

No doubt about it, snow is the preference but dry weather the next best thing. Anything but rain!!!
    just as a matter of interest why is snow your preference? Is it the dangerous driving conditions the increased fuel bills the lack of running water due to burst pipes the decrease in retail business the cancellation of sporting events....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

just as a matter of interest why is snow your preference? Is it the dangerous driving conditions the increased fuel bills the lack of running water due to burst pipes the decrease in retail business the cancellation of sporting events....

I presume because snow is a welcome break from 9 months of continuous grey gloomy wet winter weather which we normally get.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement