Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-07-2013, 16:25   #1
Hannibal Smith

is it ever okay to wear white to a wedding?

I bought a white dress today using a voucher I got for my birthday. I had a voucher. ...the dress was half price and within voucher budget so I bought it.

Any how I was just thinking that if I accessorise it, i could bring it up to wedding guest suitability. So I broke it up with green (ribbon for a belt, green shoes, necklace, brooch and bag) and it looks really good!

The wedding is an old friend of my husband's, so we won't be in any family shots, we're not close friends and its unlikely we'll see much of them in the future. And we're flat broke, so it would really get me out of a hole. But having said that I certainly wouldn't want to offend anyone on the day...or commit a wedding guest crime!

So is it ever okay to wear white if its broken up enough or should I just steer clear altogether?
Advertisement
23-07-2013, 16:37   #2
jojobeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Smith View Post
I bought a white dress today using a voucher I got for my birthday. I had a voucher. ...the dress was half price and within voucher budget so I bought it.

Any how I was just thinking that if I accessorise it, i could bring it up to wedding guest suitability. So I broke it up with green (ribbon for a belt, green shoes, necklace, brooch and bag) and it looks really good!

The wedding is an old friend of my husband's, so we won't be in any family shots, we're not close friends and its unlikely we'll see much of them in the future. And we're flat broke, so it would really get me out of a hole. But having said that I certainly wouldn't want to offend anyone on the day...or commit a wedding guest crime!

So is it ever okay to wear white if its broken up enough or should I just steer clear altogether?

I reckon its fine as your not close family and as you said u wont be in many of the shots, however my mam whos a twin wore white to her twins wedding in the 70s full length lace and a big hat to boot and her sis in law has never been the same with her since lol. If i was you i would stick with what you chose.(",)
Thanks from:
23-07-2013, 16:42   #3
Rosy Posy

I wouldn't if I were you. It might be fine but you might have randoms looking daggers at you all night. IMO it's disrespectful to the bride.

If you really have nothing else to wear why not see if a friend can lend you a dress?
23-07-2013, 18:22   #4
Lima Golf

Once it's short and not a white maxi go for it. People are ridiculous when it comes to weddings, seriously if someone wore white to my wedding I wouldn't be thinking that witch or throwing daggers, I'd be happy they made the effort to come. This white rule is so silly. I wore a white and pink dress to a wedding abroad once and got nothing but compliments, not a dirty look in sight.
23-07-2013, 19:07   #5
CaptainPix

I work at weddings every week and have often seen guests wearing white so guess it's not that uncommon
Advertisement
23-07-2013, 19:13   #6
Maryanne84

I wore white to a cousins wedding. It never cost me a thought. I accessorised with black. It was all I could afford at the time. Wear what you're comfortable in and have a good day.
Thanks from:
23-07-2013, 19:16   #7
ted1

This may sound odd, but if your hot maybe you shouldn't wear it. Can't imagine it's go down well with the bride if there is some one hotter than her in a white dress.
23-07-2013, 19:19   #8
happywithlife

So long as you accessorise it and it doesn't in any way resemble a bridal outfit it'd be ok
But I was at a wedding recently and there was one guest wearing white
She wasn't part of the bridal party nor would she have been in any family photos etc
But
Her dress was white, long & floaty and not at all accessorised ...
To be honest I did think to myself who did she think she was wearing such an outfit to an wedding?!
Thanks from:
23-07-2013, 19:20   #9
username123
Closed Account

The idea is not to upstage the bride so if the bride is young and beautiful and you are less so - then go for it
Advertisement
23-07-2013, 20:06   #10
true-or-false

I've seen quite a few people wearing white to weddings, so it must be widely accepted.

However, personally I'd always see it as very thoughtless, and while I understand that this is a completely irrational addition, I'd also see it as vain (I understand that you're under financial constraints, but in the back of my mind when I see someone in white at a wedding I assume they must care more about how they look than showing respect to the bride). I know I'm harsh, and I'm sure the bride has better things to worry about on the day, but I can't see why there's any strong reason to ignore the custom - surely you have other dresses or friends the same size as you.
23-07-2013, 20:12   #11
Hannibal Smith

Ooh im in two minds now....I was kind of leaning towards no....but it is in no way like a wedding dress and when i put it together it looked even less so. Its knee length Audrey Hepburn style. And I'm in no way arrogant enough to think id in anyway upstage the bride. Its literally just the fact that its white.

But id hate to think there would be peoplewwhispering about 'yer one who wore white'.
23-07-2013, 20:18   #12
Hannibal Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by true-or-false View Post
I've seen quite a few people wearing white to weddings, so it must be widely accepted.

However, personally I'd always see it as very thoughtless, and while I understand that this is a completely irrational addition, I'd also see it as vain (I understand that you're under financier constraints, but in the back of my mind when I see someone in white at a wedding I assume they must care more about how they look than showing respect to the bride). I know I'm harsh, and I'm sure the bride has better things to worry about on the day, but I can't see why there's any strong reason to ignore the custom - surely you have other dresses or friends the same size as you.
To be honest I think you're spot on. I can see how it can look thoughtless. And to be honest the bride is not a friend so that's why I can afford to be a little less thoughtful. The bride isnt even going to see me on the day...so she really isnt going to care. ..but her friends and relatives might.

I literally have nothing else...ive been to a gazillion weddings and have lots of dresses. ..but ive lost 4 stone since Christmas so none of them will fit my new teeny ass
(2) thanks from:
23-07-2013, 20:54   #13
CaptainPix

Hey happy days saying goodbye to the 4 stone eh... nice one
Thanks from:
23-07-2013, 21:18   #14
Hannibal Smith

Thank you. ...I guess all just have to go and buy another dress then *first world problems*
Thanks from:
23-07-2013, 23:44   #15
HardyEustace

Congrats on the weight loss.

To be honest, I really don't think its nice to wear white at a wedding. I wouldn't dream of it.

In fairness, the sales are on right now and you can pick up some amazing dresses for half nothing.

I got a beautiful dress (for a wedding at the end of August) in Debenhams recently, it was reduced from 160euro to 30euro.

So, I really wouldn't wear white. I think after this mail thread, you could possibly feel very self conscious about it as well. Get a new dress, borrow one from a friend or find a good sale, and go and enjoy the day.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion