Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonus Points 2013/2014

Options
  • 15-07-2013 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭

New bonus point system for 2013/14. Its now run by Opta and no longer the EA PPI. Its called a BPS (Bonus Points System) and FPL are being completely transparent on how they are calculated
    How is the BPS score calculated?

Players score BPS points based on the following statistics (one point for each unless otherwise stated):

Playing in a game
    Playing over 60 minutes
    Scoring goals
    Goalkeepers and defenders (4 points)
    Midfielders (6 points)
    Fowards (8 points)
    Assists (3 points)
    Goalkeepers and defenders keeping a clean sheet (4 points)
    Saving a penalty (5 points)
    For every 3 saves
    For every 3 open play crosses
    Creating a big chance (a chance where the receiving player should score)
    For every 8 clearances, blocks and interceptions (total)
    For every 8 recoveries
    Providing key passes
    Making 3 tackles
    Scoring the goal that wins a match
    Pass Completion (after making at least 30 passes)
    70% completion (1 point)
    80% completion (2 points)
    90% completion (3 points)

Players lose BPS points based on the following statistics (one point for each unless otherwise stated):

Conceding a penalty
    Missing a penalty (-2 points)
    For every 2 goals conceded by goalkeepers and defenders
    Yellow cards
    Red cards (-3 points)
    Own goals (-2 points)
    Missing a big chance
    Making an error which leads to a goal
    Every 2 errors leading to an attempt at goal
    Being tackled 3 times
    Conceding 2 fouls
    Being caught offside 3 times
    Missing the target with 3 shots

Data is supplied by Opta and once it has been marked as final will not be changed. We will not enter into discussion around any of the statistics used to calculate this score for any individual match.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The actual BP's are still the same as previous though with 3, 2, 1 bonus available per match although its possible to get more than one player on any BP score as previously
    A new Bonus Points System (BPS) has been created which utilises a range of statistics to create a BPS score for every player. The three best performing players in each match will be awarded bonus points. 3 points will be awarded to the highest scoring player, 2 to the second best and 1 to the third.

Examples of how bonus point ties will be resolved are as follows:

If there is a tie for first place, Players 1 & 2 will receive 3 points each and Player 3 will receive 1 point.
    If there is a tie for second place, Player 1 will receive 3 points and Players 2 and 3 will receive 2 points each.
    If there is a tie for third place, Player 1 will receive 3 points, Player 2 will receive 2 points and Players 3 & 4 will receive 1 point each.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Surely this favours defenders. A lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

roryc wrote: »
    Surely this favours defenders. A lot more.

I'm not sure. Both 8 recoveries and 8 blocks/intercepts looks like a lot for a point each whereas a key pass or a big chance created would seem easier.

Could see a player get 3 key passes in a game a lot easier than 24 blocks. An I reading that right? I gather that each of those would contribute 3 points to your overall bp score which is then gauged against others in the game?

As for chance creation I would think that frequent crossers of the ball could be favoured.

Going by last year's PPI distribution method the top 10 BP scorers were as follows:

Van Persie (fwd)
    Bale (mid)
    Mata (mid)
    Santi (mid)
    Baines (def)
    Hazard (mid)
    Suarez (fwd)
    Evra (def)
    Gerrard (mid)
    Carrick (mid)

With the next defensive player to chart being Vertonghen, who was way down the list.

Under the new system the BP's would have gone as follows:

Van Persie (fwd)
    Vertonghen (def)
    Santi (mid)
    Williams (def)
    Gerrard (mid)
    Agger (def)
    Mata (mid)
    Mertesacker (def)
    Baines (def)
    Jagielka (def)

With Evra (def) and Hangeland (def) coming in 11th and 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Going by last year's PPI distribution method the top 10 BP scorers were as follows:

Van Persie (fwd)
    Bale (mid)
    Mata (mid)
    Santi (mid)
    Baines (def)
    Hazard (mid)
    Suarez (fwd)
    Evra (def)
    Gerrard (mid)
    Carrick (mid)

With the next defensive player to chart being Vertonghen, who was way down the list.

Van Persie (fwd)
    Vertonghen (def)
    Santi (mid)
    Williams (def)
    Gerrard (mid)
    Agger (def)
    Mata (mid)
    Mertesacker (def)
    Baines (def)
    Jagielka (def)

If the new system would have meant Bale not being in the top 12 BP scorers then yes that's not good. I do think it needed to be a bit more balanced. Won't know until we start playing anyway!

• Advertisement

Bale is 17th highest bonus scorer under the new system, despite earning the most BP's last year (50).

Definitely needs to be looked at in more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Van Persie (fwd)
    Vertonghen (def)
    Santi (mid)
    Williams (def)
    Gerrard (mid)
    Agger (def)
    Mata (mid)
    Mertesacker (def)
    Baines (def)
    Jagielka (def)

HOw did you calculate that?

Thought it seemed fair enough while reading it but if that list is true and the likes of Suarez and Bale are not on it it seems not quite right.

Should we be investing slightly heavier in defenders then?

You can check last year's results in the drop down under 'EA Sports PPI'. You can then check what they would have gotten under the new system under 'Bonus Points System'. Bear in mind this is the amount of points they were issued on the index, not the actual BP's (1, 2 or 3) they were issued in each game. This is under 'Bonus'.

Looking at the new system it would appear to favour attacking players more, but the results above seem to lean towards the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭bodking

So Defenders that go forward would be a better pick ??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Full credit to 'In Tommy We Trust' from Fantasy Football scout for the below:

http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/2013/07/21/fantasy-premier-league-player-list-analysis-mid-price-midfielders/?hc_page=8#hc_comment_5080756
    Below is a link to an interactive table that shows the effect the change in bonus point system would have had on the previous season bonus points.

Workings:

Calculated the total bonus points given to every club.
    Calculated the Team percentage of the above total for each player who received at 1 bonus last season.
    Calculated the total EA PPI number given to all clubs.
    Calculated the total Opta BPS number given to all clubs.
    Calculated the players percentage of the above two categories (EA PPI and Opta BPS.)
    Calculated the difference in bonus allocation based off the two above percentages.

I would like to point out that there figures can only be used as a guide as they are based on the whole of last season statistics and don’t drill down into each fixture. To go back and recalculate every fixture is far beyond my capabilities. However these figures and conclusions can be treated as trends and do hold true with the data from fantasy.premierleague.com. They go along way to explaining the pricing of certain players we previously thought were over priced and they definitely highlight which players are due to benefit from the change in system.

So here is the interactive table

http://public.tableausoftware.com/views/OptaBonusPointSystemEffect/OptaBonusPointSystemEffect?:embed=y&:display_count=no

Just to point out you can filter the information down using the options on the right hand side.

Cheers :-)

And one last thing, RVP is unaffected. Just saying ;-)

The interactive table is well worth checking out. It looks messy when you initially click into it, but you can filter using the criteria you want. Great stuff from the above poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Who_8_Paul?

Only just realised the shift that could occur this year in favour of defenders, of the 22 players that scored 200 or more in this new bonus points system from last years play, 13 are defenders, 7 are midfielders and only 2 are strikers

Based on the PPI, 20 players scored over 500 in total, 1 goalie, 2 defenders, 12 midfielders and 5 strikers

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭mectavba

There may be a shift towards defenders in respect of the bonus points, but with a maximum of 3 points available, is it really worth diverting funds from your attacking players who are going to get the points that matter with assists and goals?

mectavba wrote: »
    There may be a shift towards defenders in respect of the bonus points, but with a maximum of 3 points available, is it really worth diverting funds from your attacking players who are going to get the points that matter with assists and goals?

Maybe not a lot of funds but maybe a little more than otherwise and dare I open the Baines debate again... 7.5m for an attack minded defender/winger, same price as Mirallas, would people look at Baines if he was a midfielder for 7.5m, maybe not but if he was 6.5m plus the addition of clean sheets. Kone is likely to get on the end of a few of those crosses too.

Having said that I won't have Baines in my team!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Maybe not a lot of funds but maybe a little more than otherwise and dare I open the Baines debate again... 7.5m for an attack minded defender/winger, same price as Mirallas, would people look at Baines if he was a midfielder for 7.5m, maybe not but if he was 6.5m plus the addition of clean sheets. Kone is likely to get on the end of a few of those crosses too.

Having said that I won't have Baines in my team!

I don't think I could justify having Baines at all, for a few reasons:

1) The price rises of other players such as Bale and Van Persie make it hard enough to get the guaranteed heavy hitters in without spending £7.5m on a defender

2) Moyes' teams were pretty defensively minded and hard to break down, averaging around 10 or 11 clean sheets a season. Martinez is the complete opposite, keeping clean sheets in only 13% of games last season, 21% the season before and 18% the season before that. He'll likely go gung-ho almost every week based on his philosophy to date and that makes clean sheet points even less likely for Everton. Those Baines 2 pointers are an absolute killer.

3) You can get Everton coverage for £5.0m from Coleman and he'll play a very similar to role to Baines, just on the other side of the pitch.

Of course Baines has the set pieces going for him, but I'm not sure I could use that to justify spending £7.5m on a defender playing under a manager who has always found it notoriously difficult to get his teams to keep a clean sheet, especially this year when it's so tricky to get a balanced team.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭moreau

Paully D wrote: »
    I don't think I could justify having Baines at all, for a few reasons:

1) The price rises of other players such as Bale and Van Persie make it hard enough to get the guaranteed heavy hitters in without spending £7.5m on a defender

2) Moyes' teams were pretty defensively minded and hard to break down, averaging around 10 or 11 clean sheets a season. Martinez is the complete opposite, keeping clean sheets in only 13% of games last season, 21% the season before and 18% the season before that. He'll likely go gung-ho almost every week based on his philosophy to date and that makes clean sheet points even less likely for Everton. Those Baines 2 pointers are an absolute killer.

3) You can get Everton coverage for £5.0m from Coleman and he'll play a very similar to role to Baines, just on the other side of the pitch.

Of course Baines has the set pieces going for him, but I'm not sure I could use that to justify spending £7.5m on a defender playing under a manager who has always found it notoriously difficult to get his teams to keep a clean sheet, especially this year when it's so tricky to get a balanced team.

Spot on

So Giroud to get 2 BP and Sturridge to get 1. (If I am right)

I have to say I am very unenamoured with the system (despite having Giroud).

It is nice that they now give each players final BP score, but it remains unknown to the average FF player how the breakdown is calculated as opta have stats.

Eg Sturridge and Giroud scored 7 and 9 respectively.

Getting a goal gives 8 points so Sturridge got negative points. (he got winning goal aswell which is meant to give points).

For me intuitively Studge for me should have got more than Giroud?

I am just going to ignore the bps like last year.

Tbh unless they provide a simple (visible!) system, I don't really see the point of having bps at all for us the actual FF players.

They even seem defensive about it : 'Data is supplied by Opta and once it has been marked as final will not be changed. We will not enter into discussion around any of the statistics used to calculate this score for any individual match'

As far as I know opta data has to be paid for? Yeah right, like I really want to know if Sturridge completed 90% of his passes, who cares! And what the hell is a 'recovery' in soccer?

ok rant over, you won't hear me mention bps again all season

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Points are up

Coleman got 3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

moreau wrote: »
    So Giroud to get 2 BP and Sturridge to get 1. (If I am right)

I have to say I am very unenamoured with the system (despite having Giroud).

It is nice that they now give each players final BP score, but it remains unknown to the average FF player how the breakdown is calculated as opta have stats.

Eg Sturridge and Giroud scored 7 and 9 respectively.

Getting a goal gives 8 points so Sturridge got negative points. (he got winning goal aswell which is meant to give points).

For me intuitively Studge for me should have got more than Giroud?

I am just going to ignore the bps like last year.

Tbh unless they provide a simple (visible!) system, I don't really see the point of having bps at all for us the actual FF players.

They even seem defensive about it : 'Data is supplied by Opta and once it has been marked as final will not be changed. We will not enter into discussion around any of the statistics used to calculate this score for any individual match'

As far as I know opta data has to be paid for? Yeah right, like I really want to know if Sturridge completed 90% of his passes, who cares! And what the hell is a 'recovery' in soccer?

ok rant over, you won't hear me mention bps again all season
    I think it's a far better system tbh, there's an actual logic to them. In previous season we saw players play poorly, only for them to get all 3 BPs just because he scored.

Whatever people say about these, it's fair. An argument can be made against the weighting on certain contributions (e.g. perhaps a goal should be more valuable), but the system is better than previous systems.

Classic example today, in previous years Sturridge would've gotten 3 BPs, today he rightfully got none. There were a few players that were better than him imo, or at least contributed more, Aspas and Mignolet being 2 of them.

It might be better than last year but still an overly complex and worst of all, invisible (re data) system IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I don't like this, moves the goalposts a bit. Took long enough to get used to finding the bighitters at the best value, and now we have to look for those who actually perform well too? Bring me back to the world where I only want the most likely goalscorers at a team and their cheapest defender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

So Szczesny gets me one but Sturridge gets none? Fair enough I guess...

I've done some analysis of the BP's from GW1 so far

Goalkeepers - 6 pts
    Defenders - 29 pts
    Midfielders - 15 pts
    Forwards - 17 pts

Interesting stuff I think and shows that perhaps the cheapo defence may not be the best option this year. Also from the defenders, only 2 of those that got BPs - Shaw and Coleman with 3 BPs each contributed goals/assists.

Early days but it is interesting, and it seems that we dont need to wait for 0-0 draws or goals/assists like we did last season for BP's to go to defenders

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

KevIRL wrote: »
    I've done some analysis of the BP's from GW1 so far

Goalkeepers - 6 pts
    Defenders - 29 pts
    Midfielders - 15 pts
    Forwards - 17 pts

Interesting stuff I think and shows that perhaps the cheapo defence may not be the best option this year. Also from the defenders, only 2 of those that got BPs - Shaw and Coleman with 3 BPs each contributed goals/assists.

Early days but it is interesting, and it seems that we dont need to wait for 0-0 draws or goals/assists like we did last season for BP's to go to defenders

The real trick might be pinpointing some cheap(ish) defenders who also pick up BPs. For example, Hughes and Hangeland (4.5 and 5.0) from Fulham, got 2 and 3 BPs.

The real trick might be pinpointing some cheap(ish) defenders who also pick up BPs. For example, Hughes and Hangeland (4.5 and 5.0) from Fulham, got 2 and 3 BPs.

Yeah but that was based on their clean sheets largely, how many clean sheets are Fulham likely to get this year

Seems like a clean sheet for a defender is worth something like 8 points in the bonus point system. Was following the BPS live in game tonight and after 60 mins, Zabeleta went from -1 BPS to +7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Seems like a clean sheet for a defender is worth something like 8 points in the bonus point system. Was following the BPS live in game tonight and after 60 mins, Zabeleta went from -1 BPS to +7

Where can u follow the BPS? I checked on the site there and Zab still -1?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Sorry but where can you track that? I can't see it. Cheers.

thewools wrote: »

He's on 11 now. Top along with Silva and Yaya

Follow it by clicking the points tab, then click the scoreline of the City game and then click detailed stats

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

thewools wrote: »

Detailed stats link when you click on the fixture down the bottom of the page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

He's on 11 now. Top along with Silva and Yaya

Follow it by clicking the points tab, then click the scoreline of the City game and then click detailed stats
    Detailed stats link when you click on the fixture down the bottom of the page.

Thanks!

Advertisement