Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Continues

Options
  • 01-07-2013 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

http://vimeo.com/66784863

Have you guys seen this yet? If not you HAVE to watch it. Its basically the original series continuing on as if it was never cancelled. The sound effects the music everything is done with the 60's tos style and there is some good actors on it too. there is even a return of a character from tos and played by the actual actor who played that character in tos way back :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Jeez the production values are insane, it's extremely well done. Will watch the full ep later on

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

watch out for an actor from another top sci-fi series making a brief appearance too :D

As a big fan of canon, & not so much of non canon, I can honestly say this was incredibly well done. I had to keep reminding myself this wasn't a full on Trek production. The lighting, sound, props....absolutely first rate.

Granted some of the acting wasn't up to scratch, namely Sulu & Bones, but Apollo was remarkably well done. I'm already looking forward to the second episode, this is that good. It's like a hidden/lost tape of TOS was fault in a vault or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

EnterNow wrote: »
    Granted some of the acting wasn't up to scratch, namely Sulu & Bones...
    Sulu is played by Grant Imahara, of Mythbusters fame!

Rovi wrote: »
    Sulu is played by Grant Imahara, of Mythbusters fame!

Ha is that who that is?! Well, he shouldn't give up the dayjob :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I normally don't watch TOS, but I'm watching this right now and I'm really enjoying it.

I knew the computer voice seemed familiar, turned out it's Marina Sirtis.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Granted some of the acting wasn't up to scratch, namely Sulu & Bones, but Apollo was remarkably well done.!

agree with you . I guess it can't be 100% satisfactory unless we can travel back in time and convince them to not cancel the show :p I think kirk and scotty are well played and Apollo as you said. It made up for that!

I see that Nurse Chapel in the original as become Nurse Temple in this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭alkev

Apollo is played by Michael Forrest who played him in the original series

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Even the fact that it's filmed in 4:3 pleases me :D

• Advertisement

Roar wrote: »
    Even the fact that it's filmed in 4:3 pleases me :D

you can't get much more nerdy than that :p

alkev wrote: »

It shows, he's a class above the rest in that episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Wow, that was really good!

I quite liked the New Voyages episodes too – a similar sort of thing but to be honest, much preferred this 'Star Trek Continues'. Felt totally authentic, a good classic Star Trek story, acting wasn't great but wasn't bad either (some of New Voyages was truly awful), and production values just where you want them.

Really impressed. I'd pay money to see a new one of these every week or so. Hope they make some more soon enough!

Goodshape wrote: »
    Wow, that was really good!

I quite liked the New Voyages episodes too – a similar sort of thing but to be honest, much preferred this 'Star Trek Continues'. Felt totally authentic, a good classic Star Trek story, acting wasn't great but wasn't bad either (some of New Voyages was truly awful), and production values just where you want them.

Really impressed. I'd pay money to see a new one of these every week or so. Hope they make some more soon enough!

I have heard of this but haven't watched it because i was never really into fan series. Might give it a try since i liked star trek continues.

Is there any other fan series out there that you would recommend?

sky23 wrote: »
    Is there any other fan series out there that you would recommend?

The only other fan production I can honestly say I actually enjoyed watching was Star Trek Auora. It's not a continuation of anything, just a nice self contained film set in the TOS universe aboard a non-starfleet cargo ship.

There's also Of Gods and Men which is worth a look (lots of familiar faces in the cast and crew) but ultimately, sadly, not really all that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

jesus thats insane the effects are better than Ds9

alkev wrote: »

He's not the only actor-who-previously-played-Apollo in this episode!

300913_10151646770699925_318851486_n.png
    Jamie Bamber, Battlestar Galactica

Just watched the whole thing rather good for a fan made episode .

Kirt and spock played their parts pretty perfectly specialy the guy who played spock he wouldn't of been out of place in the series and defiantly did a better job than the likes of Vorik in voyager.
    Mccoy was a lot different than the mccoy from Tos but i guess he didnt get much screen time and besides the guy playing him didnt chew the scenery and did a fine job .
    Sulu and scotty though where a much much different level of skill sulu was just bad the gulf in ability between BSG Apollo and him in the scenes outside the ship where like night and day and unfortunately the man trying to play scotty apparently figured doing a complete parody of the tos scotty would be fine (incidentaly is that doohans son?).
    Speaking of apollo the old apollo was very likeable the conculsion of the story was satisfying just due to that.

Effects and set wise its as good as any tv episode of star trek iv seen really cant fault it.

Are they or have they made more ? would happly follow this

bizmark wrote: »
    and unfortunately the man trying to play scotty apparently figured doing a complete parody of the tos scotty would be fine (incidentaly is that doohans son?).

yes he is. Christopher Doohan

sky23 wrote: »
    yes he is. Christopher Doohan

Thats cool just hope he tones down the Scottish accent next time and maybe brings a bit of his own style to the part he cant be his dad it just looks like a parody the guy who played mccoy in this epsoide kinda did it right if intentional or not he didn't attempt to be deforester kelly right down to his body language and it worked imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

As a TOS fan from the 70's (when Telly Eireann first got their hands on it), I have to say I enjoyed that thoroughly. Yes some of the acting was a little ... off, but no less so than some of the modern sh1te that millions of dollars are spent on (I'm looking at you Revolution).

I disagree with the Scotty critics. I thought Doohan the younger wasn't too bad at all.

Agree that Bones was played a little carefully.

Kirk and Spock were as near as damn it as makes no odds.

I look forward to many more ... hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

Could never get into TOS - but this was pretty good! and felt like Trek! (if you know what I mena)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Thought i recognized Sulu, it Grant Imahara from Mythbusters.

Thought i recognized Sulu, it Grant Imahara from Mythbusters.

One of the most staged & scripted shows I've seen, & he still can't act

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The production values were impeccable, the cg was perfect, the enterprise looked pristine. Michael Forest as Apollo was about x1000 above the rest in terms of acting ability, what a great actor. And Michelle Specht as the ship's psychologist...wow...

However the script was pretty cheesy, especially with the cringe inducing puns/play on words, eg "godspeed" "you cant teach an old god new tricks" etc. Also the plot was a bit hokey, with some lame excuses eg, Apollo's girlfriend died saving colonists from a plague, that's just so lazy it's like the writers were like, yeah just get that bit done so we can move on with the story, any explanation will do, just use the cliche bank. The epilogue ending was unnecessary and uber cheesy and the whole moral of the story bit about self sacrifice defining humanity didn't make sense. It was lazy writing and very cheesy. That said I actually watched the whole thing so for a fan production it was very good. The story they had was very compelling, it was just that it was let down in places by the script and the performances of some of the actors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

I am just watching episode 2!....this show looks AMAZING!.....and = Erin Gray!.....from Buck Rodgers!!

The production values are amazing, even the editing, look and feel is totally authentic to TOS.....superb!
    The story was very good as well, classic TOS taking on topical and historic issues....this show is a must see imo!

That was great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

These are amazingly impressive, I completely forgot after a minute or two that this was a fan production. Acting was WAY beyond what I expected

Better(more authentic)/ so more soul than than the stuff than spend millions of dollars on nowadays.

Especially the practical sets, camera workthe lighting felt like it all filmed in the 60's. Like a lost episode.

As an off topic aside
    no excuse why Star Wars Episode VII couldn't do the same with lighting and sets

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Even the acting was fine in that one. Liked the new doctor.

Advertisement