Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rowing

Options
  • 19-06-2013 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of joining a club to do rowing as it looks like fun and great exercise. Anyone give me any tips on it and any good club to join in the south dublin area? Id be a beginner. thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A good bunch of people by all accounts http://www.dunlaoghairerowing.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Talent

There's also an active club in Dalkey - don't have any contact details. A club recently got going in Skerries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

Thanks for replies. I emailed and face booked 3 different clubs the last week and no replies, they don't give any phone numbers. I guess maybe you need to know people and they don't accept 'blow ins'!!! Meh!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I know the guy's/girls in Skerries rowing club are open to everyone and are looking for new members, they just had an open day for the launch of their newly built boat. https://www.facebook.com/skerriesrowingclub?fref=ts I'm sure the others will get back to you and will also welcome you in and would not think it's anything to do with who you know. If you do have any problems getting into a club let me know and I'll see what I can do but I don't think you will.

I can arrange a Skerries RC introduction as well.

• Advertisement

Talent wrote: »
    I can arrange a Skerries RC introduction as well.

Thanks for the replies. The skerries one looks good. I live in clonee though... Would skerries be a good bit away?

Coming from Clonee, Skerries would probably be as easy to reach as Dun Laoire or Dalkey. Take the M50 to the airport, then take the first exit off the M1, enjoy one of the most scenic rural drives in the Greater Dublin area and, before you know it, you're in Skerries. The club of which Feargal speaks has a gig which formerly belonged to Dalkey Rowing Club and was bought for the Sea Scouts in Skerries but the SRC makes better use of it.

Coming from Clonee, Skerries would probably be as easy to reach as Dun Laoire or Dalkey. Take the M50 to the airport, then take the first exit off the M1, enjoy one of the most scenic rural drives in the Greater Dublin area and, before you know it, you're in Skerries. The club of which Feargal speaks has a gig which formerly belonged to Dalkey Rowing Club and was bought for the Sea Scouts in Skerries but the SRC makes better use of it.

Sound thanks for that. I see they are on Facebook so might give them a shout on that about joining up. The reason I thought Dun Laoghaire might have been the handiest is because I work on the south side but then the club might only row at weekends. I've no idea the times etc but I guess they should tell me that

They also row during the week. I see them launching around 7.30 pm on Weds when I'm going sailing but don't know if they row other nights. They're a nice friendly bunch who really enjoy what they do.

BTW don't be too hard on the other clubs. They are totally voluntary outfits without any staff that I know of and they are not geared up for expert public relations. The best way to contact them is probably to roll up when they're coming in from a row and will welcome a hand up the slipway.

• Advertisement

If you want to contact Skerries Rowing Club they say leave a message on their Facebook page.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you want to contact Skerries Rowing Club they say leave a message on their Facebook page.

Or head down to Joe May's in Skerries now! they are all in there :D

Some of the guy's/girls from A.P.F.S are rowing the Shannon at the moment with a bit of help from Moonshadow, worth a look if you are on FB https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-APFS-Rowing-Club/124393434305441

They are starting to hurt now but doing a great job.

1004017_485640908180690_1618264106_n.jpg

Just had a look - a very impressive undertaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

fergal.b wrote: »
    Some of the guy's/girls from A.P.F.S are rowing the Shannon at the moment with a bit of help from Moonshadow, worth a look if you are on FB https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-APFS-Rowing-Club/124393434305441

They are starting to hurt now but doing a great job.

1004017_485640908180690_1618264106_n.jpg

Pffft. That's nothing.https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151542401689565&set=a.10151542401644565.1073741829.533369564&type=1&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Rower2

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies. I emailed and face booked 3 different clubs the last week and no replies, they don't give any phone numbers. I guess maybe you need to know people and they don't accept 'blow ins'!!! Meh!

where are you looking to join? Theres Neptune Rowing Club and Commercial Rowing Club.

If you are 30+ and looking for recreational rowing then contact phoenix rowing club. Theyre all in chapelizod area

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Rower2

also thinking Rowing really needs its own sports section. its as similar to boating as swimming is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LeeMaxwell75

If you're near the Islandbridge are of Dublin and if you're looking for an inland rowing club, you couldn't do better than Commercial Rowing Club (commercialrc.ie). I was with them until a few years ago - they're quite friendly and welcoming bunch of lads, but they take it very seriously. See the "new Members" page about joining as a Novice. I spent some of the best years of my life at Commercial. Miss the sport a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Rower2 wrote: »
    also thinking Rowing really needs its own sports section. its as similar to boating as swimming is!

Its a farce that there's no rowing forum. Sort it out Mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

A rowing forum would be brilliant alright!

• Advertisement
Advertisement