Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many calories in a chicken fillet baguette?

Options
  • 04-06-2013 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi,

I probably posted this in the wrong place, if so, sorry :(.

Anyway,
    How many calories would be in a baguette, one chicken fillet, mayonnaise and lettuce.

That's the usual chicken roll I get so I was wondering how many calories am I actually eating?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think you're more likely to get useful replies here in the Nutrition & Diet forum.

Moved from Snacks & Sweets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭pheno

No problem, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Chicken rolls really are bad for you, very high fat and calorie content. You're looking at the guts of anything from 700-1000 calories.

There was a whole thread on the topic before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

chicken breast 120+ calories (unbreaded, no skin)
    tablespoon of mayo 60 calories
    lettuce 5 calories
    demi baguette 350+ calories.

so around ~550 calories. mostly from the bread.

nothing unhealthy in the chicken or the mayo. you can safely ditch the bread and lose weight.

source:http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/usda/mayonnaise
    http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/chicken-breast-skin-not-eaten
    http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-division-university-french-demi-baguette-i130546

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

chicken breast 120+ calories (unbreaded, no skin)
    tablespoon of mayo 60 calories
    lettuce 5 calories
    demi baguette 350+ calories.

so around ~550 calories. mostly from the bread.

nothing unhealthy in the chicken or the mayo. you can safely ditch the bread and lose weight.

I can almost guarantee you that the chicken in the kind of roll he's talking about is breaded, so I'd say closer to 220cal for the chicken and they tend to absolutely slather on the mayo in most delis, so I'd say closer to 100 cals for that. I'd say 700 calories for your average chicken fillet baguette from a deli is a conservative estimate.

Add a packet of crisps and a soft drink and a lot of people's lunch is costing them over half their daily calorific intake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

How about having it with a wrap instead of baguette?

or a salad bowl

What size are the wraps in delis? a large 10/12" wrap would be almost the same calories as the baguette.
    even a small 6/7 " wrap would be over 100

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Jesus, i knew they were high in calories, but didnt realise how high.:eek: I've lost 2 stone since x-mas. :) But for 3 or 4 years i was eating a chicken fillet roll once or twice a week(with crisps). I'm lucky i wasn't a lot heavier!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

bikeman1 wrote: »
    How about having it with a wrap instead of baguette?
    or a salad bowl

+ 1 to the salad bowl.

Wraps aren't all that better. They are just squished down bread.

its not just the total calories, its the empty calories.
    The chicken and the mayo are fine.
    But the breadcrumbs its wrapped in, and the baguette itself are more than a whole meals worth on non nutritious calories.
    Skip the bread (bagels, wraps, baguettes and sliced pan) completely and go for unbreaded chicken and get a salad bowl and you have a filling snack for 1/2 the calories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Basically bread is the devil :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

its not just the total calories, its the empty calories.
    But the breadcrumbs its wrapped in, and the baguette itself are more than a whole meals worth on non nutritious calories.
    Skip the bread (bagels, wraps, baguettes and sliced pan) completely and go for unbreaded chicken and get a salad bowl and you have a filling snack for 1/2 the calories

Good bit cheaper too. I bought a salad bowl for her self this morning 1.99, chicken wrap, 3.99. If I basically got more lettuce and dropped the wrap as well as saving 100-200 calories, Id also save about 2 euro.

MIRMIR82 wrote: »
    not really, but it is a lot of unnecessary calories.
    Its like packing for a ryan air flight. buying a load of light clothes and packing them in a suitcase that weighs 15kg.
    if you need to get the total weight down then no point throwing out clothes and stuff you need, get rid of the suitcase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

MIRMIR82 wrote: »

Do you know what, it's not even that bread is the devil but you can eat SOOOOO much more food for the wasted calories from bread like.

I like quantity and feeling full and satisfied. When I make better choices other than rolls etc.. I can have waaaay more and still enjoy it!

Do you know what, it's not even that bread is the devil but you can eat SOOOOO much more food for the wasted calories from bread like.

I like quantity and feeling full and satisfied. When I make better choices other than rolls etc.. I can have waaaay more and still enjoy it!

= less bread, more bacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Plus if its a breaded chicken fillet from a deli you might as well just go for the lettuce and mayo!

= less bread, more bacon.

And cheese

bacon rashers between 2 slices of cheese is a perfect sandwhich

bacon rashers between 2 slices of cheese is a perfect sandwhich

Steak between two slices of cheese is a better sandwich

Bacon wrapped Steak between two slices of cheese is a better sandwich
    ;-)

there is nothing in this world that can't be made better by adding more bacon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I read a sentence somewhere on this forum that really stuck with me, bread is mainly used just to stop your hands getting dirty. I think I've eaten bread/pitta etc twice since I read that, and only when I really, really was going to enjoy it. I just have what I would have in a type of bread without it, and we've embraced the wonderful world of lettuce. Lettuce to wrap fajitas, lettuce to hold a burger, crispy chunky bits of iceberg to dip in hummus and guacamole. Mmmm, can eat so much more of the nice stuff when you ditch the meaningless bread, and enjoy amazing breads that bit more then. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭pheno

Thanks for all the replies, really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There is only a small amount of chicken in many of these convenience store rolls.

Posted the other day.
    irishbuzz wrote: »

You cannot work out how much chicken is in it. The 51% is referring to ingredient, not the whole thing.

So that list, in order of greatest and getting rid of the deliberately confusing brackets is,

Chicken, breadcrumbs, batter, vegetable oil, wheatflour, salt etc.

The "chicken" is top of the list, it might be 50% "chicken", so really ~25% of actual chicken in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Durz0 Blint

Looked it up before and while I cant rememeber all the details I will try recall them

Think the rolls used are cuisine de France demi baguettea
    Cant remmeber the chicken fillet brand but I think they were roughly 350 calories.

Butter varies too much depending on who prepares it so I never used it.

If I remember it was roughly 800 calories for the whole thing.

If it fits your macros and all that.

Advertisement