Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK TV Apps Samsung Smart TV Ireland?

Options
  • 28-04-2013 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

Is it possible to install the itv player app, the BBC iplayer app and 5 OD app on to a Samsung smart TV in Ireland as they don't appear in the Samsung TV app store.

I don't want/need discussions/lectures about VPN's, Geotagging, DNS etc etc.. I know that's forbidden so please leave that for other forums :);)

I just want to know if its possible to put these apps on a Samsung smart TV manually, Like the way you can install Android apps on a Galaxy S2/S3 etc without having to go through the play store.

If you google BBCNEWS.apk (For example) you will get a load of options of where to download the free .apk app for android and you can install it manually. Can you do the same for Samsung TV apps? What file format are these apps for Samsung Smart TV's? Can they be installed via USB?

Any constructive advice/opinions appreciated :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I suspect that your TV (like my network-attached Sony Blu-Ray player) goes first to the manufacturer's gateway and then based on the IP address, they give you the appropriate apps for Ireland.

It wouldn't make any difference even if you managed to manually install the BBC Player, it wouldn't work because as happens with a web browser when you try it from a PC, it will refuse to play because the IP address will give away the fact that you're in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭thisNthat

coylemj wrote: »
    I suspect that your TV (like my network-attached Sony Blu-Ray player) goes first to the manufacturer's gateway and then based on the IP address, they give you the appropriate apps for Ireland.

It wouldn't make any difference even if you managed to manually install the BBC Player, it wouldn't work because as happens with a web browser when you try it from a PC, it will refuse to play because the IP address will give away the fact that you're in Ireland.

Ok, firstly, Thanks for replying, appreciated. :)
    I know why it doesn't come up on the app store in Ireland due to geographical location, I understand that. I don't want to know if it can play it or not, that's not the issue, there are ways around that which can't be discussed here and its a topic on its own so I understand your point but its not really the question I asked (I mean that in the best possible way) ;)

I want to know if its possible to install these apps on a Samsung smart tv via another alternative to the built in app store? Like you can do with .apk files for Samsung phones? What is the file format for app's that are installed on Samsung TV's? and can they be installed via usb?

Thanks again for replying ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

I managed to get Hulu on my UE40D7000 by doing a factory reset, when the Tv rebooted i made the TV think i was in the US which launched the US Version of the app store.

Found this on another site which might be easier, haven't tried it yet ;)
    Press the following keys on the remote:
    ff 289 rew and enter.

You can then change stores.

Belfunk wrote: »
    I managed to get Hulu on my UE40D7000 by doing a factory reset, when the Tv rebooted i made the TV think i was in the US which launched the US Version of the app store.

Found this on another site which might be easier, haven't tried it yet ;)

Unfortunately the ff 289 rew and enter job doesn't work with the F8000 series but thanks anyway. I did a full reset and it asked if I was UK or Ireland (The only options that came up), I said UK, It then asked me for a postcode and would only allow the numbers to be pressed on screen for some reason (No letters) Since most postcodes in UK have letters I just put in 1234, It said it couldn't locate the postcode, proceed anyway? so I pressed yes and went into the Smart section and it uploaded all USA apps for some reason, Hulu plus, HBO Go, Netflix etc and loads more USA apps (Happy days) but still no BBC iplayer or ITV player etc. and RTE player is gone (Although some might class that as a blessing :) )
    Anyway thanks for the info, Appreciated ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 queenonline

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, ;)

I guess the new F-series Samsung is one of those, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭witchity2

Has anyone got the 4OD app on their samsung store? Doesnt show up in mine, but i thought it would as 4OD does not have the location restriction on-line like BBC and ITV

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭rayz

Hey all, kinda related to this post, if I was to buy a samsung 4510 smart tv from amazon uk, would it come with the uk players or can i still get the rte player etc set up on it when i get the tv in ireland.

I presume the tv will know its in ireland based on the ip address and therefore rte player and the likes should show up on it?

on the verge of a purchase so would like to know asap please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

I bought mine from Amazon. No problems. I was able to select Ireland and tune in all channels and access the Irish apps rte player, 3player etc. Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Jimbojimbo

fbradyirl wrote: »
    I bought mine from Amazon. No problems. I was able to select Ireland and tune in all channels and access the Irish apps rte player, 3player etc. Go for it!

@fbradyirl. Was there any problem getting Saorview channels? As far as I know, Saorview uses a different system than what is used in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Jimbojimbo wrote: »
    @fbradyirl. Was there any problem getting Saorview channels? As far as I know, Saorview uses a different system than what is used in the UK?

The Smart TVs support both MPEG2 & MPEG4 so it works with both uk and Irish Freeview systems. Just run a full scan and it's done. No problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

i just got a samsung f4500 smart tv,when i try to select a program in the 'on tv' or recommended section it just stays on the program im already watching is that because im watching through a sky box or am i doing something wrong :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Jimbojimbo

fbradyirl wrote: »
    The Smart TVs support both MPEG2 & MPEG4 so it works with both uk and Irish Freeview systems. Just run a full scan and it's done. No problems at all.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if it will also tune into analogue channels, eg the standard 15 or so (unencrypted channels) carried by UPC on thier cable network?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Did anyone manage to get the 4od app working on the F8000 series?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PyramidHead

Make sure you're on TV then Menu then Setup and let it run its course until the T&C page then press 'Mute, Return, Vol Up, Chan Up, Mute' and the country list will pop up and select UK

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭kbarnesie

How can I get 4oD on my new Samsung UE48H6400....dont see it in the app store

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

kbarnesie wrote: »
    How can I get 4oD on my new Samsung UE48H6400....dont see it in the app store

pretty sure you can't get it without messing around with your DNS etc

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Anyone tried this to change the smart hub to the UK for F and H series?

Also, anyone with the UK setup as their country - do you get access to the RTE/TG4 Player apps if you set your postcode to a NI address?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭corajen

Hi
    Can anyone assist, I have a 350 Gb Hard Drive plugged into my TV via USB port. The TV sees the drive and formatted it ok. I set the record function and it records the TV channel ok. The HD shows the amount of data used and the TV states that the recording has completed but each time I can only view 8-10 minutes before a window appears stating "Failed to Play" this happens each time I reformatted but still the same issue?
    Regards

corajen wrote: »
    Hi
    Can anyone assist, I have a 350 Gb Hard Drive plugged into my TV via USB port. The TV sees the drive and formatted it ok. I set the record function and it records the TV channel ok. The HD shows the amount of data used and the TV states that the recording has completed but each time I can only view 8-10 minutes before a window appears stating "Failed to Play" this happens each time I reformatted but still the same issue?
    Regards

Just wondering does the Harddrive have its own power source or is it powered by USB only, The reason I ask is playing back HD by USB power only, can cause issues with the Harddrive and it can crash, fail to play or play very choppy and jumpy.

• Advertisement

thisNthat wrote: »
    Just wondering does the Harddrive have its own power source or is it powered by USB only, The reason I ask is playing back HD by USB power only, can cause issues with the Harddrive and it can crash, fail to play or play very choppy and jumpy.

Thanks for your reply, no I was using a non powered USB hdd, I have now purchased a powered usb hdd just waiting for it to arrive. I presume I should go for a powered USB hdd for my Android box as well?

I've never had any problems with my drive which is a 2TB usb drive (non powered). Is your HD an older one usb1.0 and maybe not usb2.0 and hence not the right speed needed?

corajen wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, no I was using a non powered USB hdd, I have now purchased a powered usb hdd just waiting for it to arrive. I presume I should go for a powered USB hdd for my Android box as well?

I would personally, It will give alot less problems when it has it's own power source. Let us know how the new powered HardDrive works?
    I've never had any problems with my drive which is a 2gb usb drive (non powered). Is your HD an older one usb1.0 and maybe not usb2.0 and hence not the right speed needed?

A 2GB pen drive wouldn't hold a full movie in 1080p and it depends on make, model etc as to the quality of playback, but you're right it could be USB 1.0 and some USB powered harddrives may work better than others, overall its recommended to get a harddrive that has its own power source if your watching and recording movies etc to it, as the USB power only drives can give unreliable results.

I would personally, It will give alot less problems when it has it's own power source. Let us know how the new powered HardDrive works?

A 2GB pen drive wouldn't hold a full movie in 1080p and it depends on make, model etc as to the quality of playback, but you're right it could be USB 1.0 and some USB powered harddrives may work better than others, overall its recommended to get a harddrive that has its own power source if your watching and recording movies etc to it, as the USB power only drives can give unreliable results.

Sorry my post should have read 2TB...I wouldn't get very far wiith a 2GB pen alright. What I'm using is a WD portable hard drive - 2 TB and I've had no issues with playback on it - if I was going to go for more TBs I would get powered also.

A 2GB pen drive wouldn't hold a full movie in 1080p and it depends on make, model etc as to the quality of playback, but you're right it could be USB 1.0 and some USB powered harddrives may work better than others, overall its recommended to get a hard-drive that has its own power source if your watching and recording movies etc to it, as the USB power only drives can give unreliable results.
    I received the Hdd drive today just to collect it I'll try tonight and let you know...
    I had asked Samsung about this issue sometime ago but never got a reply until now see below:don't know why they mention its works when the TV is switched off???
    Further to your query, the specifications for our recommended hard drives are as below. .

- 5400 RPM
    - No more than 2TB
    - The hard drive must have its own power supply. This is to ensure that this works when the television is powered off. We would recommend using a hard drive rather than a USB as these are often more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I've a 3tb and it works ok (although that's dc powered), as do the two self powered pen drives

I received the 500Gb HDD and its works fine, the powered USB hdd is the way to go. One other point how do you pulse live TV using this HDD. and remove programs from the drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jumbo

Looks as though this thread has gone a bit O/T: It was all about getting 4od to work and now all of a sudden we're talking about HD recording?!?

Anyway, I just wanted to add my own findings to the 4od discussion.

I have an E-Series and the "ff 289 rew and enter" thing worked for me, though it wasn't necessary as it was possible to set location by just going to the setup menu under tools as well :)

As others have commented, it now removes the RTE Player and 3Player apps, and replaces them with ITV, BBC and "All 4" (which is what 4od is now known as).

Obviously BBC and ITV didn't work beyond the menus as they have geo-blocking on the assets themselves, but "All 4" worked, and the quality was amazing. Better than what I'd get on the actual UPC box.

But then after a while I did get some problems with the streams, and some on-screen messages saying that "Content is unavailable", though I am actually watching the content ... could be they do have some kind of geo-blocking enacted after all ...

But to revisit OP's original question .. though answers thus far suggest not ...

Is it possible to install Samsung application packages yourself, beyond those available on the App store? I say "possible", not manufacturer sanctioned.

I dream of a scenario where I can obtain the "all 4" app from the UK app store, and make a backup, and then after reverting to the IE app store I reinstall said backup.

I've been looking at "Samy2go" which seems to promise all sorts of wonderful possibilities beyond even this, and I'll keep ye posted if I discover anything interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

jumbo wrote: »
    Looks as though this thread has gone a bit O/T: It was all about getting 4od to work and now all of a sudden we're talking about HD recording?!?

Anyway, I just wanted to add my own findings to the 4od discussion.

I have an E-Series and the "ff 289 rew and enter" thing worked for me, though it wasn't necessary as it was possible to set location by just going to the setup menu under tools as well :)

As others have commented, it now removes the RTE Player and 3Player apps, and replaces them with ITV, BBC and "All 4" (which is what 4od is now known as).

Obviously BBC and ITV didn't work beyond the menus as they have geo-blocking on the assets themselves, but "All 4" worked, and the quality was amazing. Better than what I'd get on the actual UPC box.

But then after a while I did get some problems with the streams, and some on-screen messages saying that "Content is unavailable", though I am actually watching the content ... could be they do have some kind of geo-blocking enacted after all ...

But to revisit OP's original question .. though answers thus far suggest not ...

Is it possible to install Samsung application packages yourself, beyond those available on the App store? I say "possible", not manufacturer sanctioned.

I dream of a scenario where I can obtain the "all 4" app from the UK app store, and make a backup, and then after reverting to the IE app store I reinstall said backup.

I've been looking at "Samy2go" which seems to promise all sorts of wonderful possibilities beyond even this, and I'll keep ye posted if I discover anything interesting.

Thanks Jumbo, being trying everything to ctry and get iBBC Player and ITV player working :(

Let us know how Samy2go works out, I ve been reading their forums but still can't figure out what its all about any a little worried about bricking the tv

• Advertisement

Is anyone having problems since the app updated to All 4? I had 4od working no problems at all for months now but as soon as it changed to All 4 I'm having problems with it, it just stopping playing. I will be watching something and it goes to the break and that's it...it just stops with a spinning circle on screen and never moves on. Its not speed issues thats causing it.

Advertisement