Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

giro air attack helmet

Options
  • 18-04-2013 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

I need a new helmet and was looking at the giro air attack. I think they look a hell of a lot nicer than the mad shaped things that cyclists normally wear, and I like the fact that its a suspended helmet. Does anyone have one, and if so, what are your thoughts?
    I have googled it and there are some good reports.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I think it's ugly tbh. Looks like a snowboarding one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Looks nice in isolation. The white ones look like a pudding bowel or one of those old foam jobs when worn....

survivor.jpg

not the exact image i was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

they do seem to be a bit marmite - people seem to love the looks or hate the looks, but apart from the looks (which I like - i think they look quite smart :)) anyone any actual experience with them. They look like they could be a quite comfortable, forget your wearing it kind of helmet which would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 31,055 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Fad or fashion, take your pick.

You'd better wear it with confidence, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Actually as I was google image searching I noticed the non-white one's look fine.

I like the look of this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lazer-genesis-2-road-race-helmet/

But who knows till you try it on. It might not do my chiseled jawline justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

I can't stand them to be honest. Like some sort of safety aid for people who need constant head protection or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Personally I like the look of it but that's probably mostly because its rounded shape is arguably better in a crash due to being less prone to catching on things. On pure aesthetics it mightn't convince me, but I see it in a better light by perceiving it to be possibly "safer" (but whether that perception is justified is a whole other matter though).

On the purely technical merits of it, I read up a little on it recently and it seems like a curious mix. Giro mention that it can be used in TT's due to having better aerodynamics than a regular road/non-TT helmet but they seemed to shy away from actually recommending it for that purpose. I gather that it falls short of the benefits of a true TT helmet, which is hardly a surprise I guess. To achieve its improved aerodynamic performance versus a road helmet they closed off vents.To compensate for that they designed a new "harness" (don't recall their terminology offhand) which keeps the shell suspended a little more above the head to aid in cooling your head. I do wonder how it performs in terms of cooling, and I also wonder how comfortable it feels just generally with that different design.

Phillipe Gilbert wore one during one of the recent early season races, and if it's good enough for him... He didn't win though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I like it, sort of a cool minimalist look to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,055 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Millar looks nonplussed.

garmin-giro-air-attack.jpg

• Advertisement

mario-mushroom.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

If you like it get it. You change your mind? You can always get the visor and wear it on track, it'll make me less self concious when I'm wearing my new:

cascowarpcompetition.jpg

If you like it get it. You change your mind? You can always get the visor and wear it on track, it'll make me less self concious when I'm wearing my new:

cascowarpcompetition.jpg

did you get it? nice! You should wear it on Saturday :)

lennymc wrote: »
    did you get it? nice! You should wear it on Saturday :)

Jesus no, trying too hard and all that. Serious stuff like Nationals only.

Jesus no, trying too hard and all that. Serious stuff like Nationals only.
    :)

dont mind the begrudgers!! LOL

anyway - this guy claims its the bees knees with free speed and fore/aft adjustability (but he works for giro)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I love it. Can finally turn my bike into a light-cycle:

tron-original-blueglow-snap-img.jpg

In all seriousness I'd get it, if I were you that is. You'll be doing TTs too right?

found a review with opinions from a couple of people who have them here.

This looks nicer, but it doesn't look like it's available.

Nibali-helmet.jpg

Ah feck it, I'm getting one. And to make matters worse, Im gonna get the shield, with extra fredage!! Evans currently seem to be best priced, no where has them in stock tho. The non shield version is in stock in some places.

giro-air-attack-shield-helmet.jpg

yeeha!!

(Ill use it for the road, track and TTs)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Im getting 1 too

Im getting 1 too

evans seem to be cheapest (that ive found so far) but they wont be in stock until 10/05. Ill let you know if I find them anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭The Big Lebowsky

You gotta laugh- over the years giro has come up with better ventilated helmets every second year, now they want to sell us helmet with hardly any ventilation:pac:

The new air attack would make an excellent track helmet, or early season road helmet, but I wouldn't like to wear one on a warm day.

Ive seen them in a few places, waiting for the visor version. 200/240 seems to be the price for both.

You gotta laugh- over the years giro has come up with better ventilated helmets every second year, now they want to sell us helmet with hardly any ventilation:pac:

The new air attack would make an excellent track helmet, or early season road helmet, but I wouldn't like to wear one on a warm day.

the ventilation isnt very visible on the exterior, but that doesnt mean its not there.

Ive seen them in a few places, waiting for the visor version. 200/240 seems to be the price for both.

157 euro pre order in evans for the shield. Think that includes delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭c50

The Edge sports have the standard without visor in stock for 150quid full price...just so people know

evans have the non shield versino for 127 (iirc).

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭c50

yep except 10% loyalty card thats 135 compared to 127 on evans that you said is to pre order only..i havent checked

• Advertisement

c50 wrote: »
    yep except 10% loyalty card thats 135 compared to 127 on evans that you said is to pre order only..i havent checked

sorry, i wasn't clear. My bad. evans have the air attack in stock for 127. They have the air attack shield for 157 pre order, available 10th May. I dont think the shield version is available in stock anywhere yet. They are two different helmets.

Advertisement