Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment Questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

By then everyone will have attended annual training. It will be easier to tell who is NE and who isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 faithy2013

hi could yhuu tell me if the R.D.F on the 1st of october because a man out off the r.d.f told me they were but ii couldn be sure if they are .. some people are saying diff if yhuu ahave any info for me on the dates they are recruiting could yhuu get back to me as soon as you can thanks .....
    and what would you need to bring in to the recruitment.. .. !!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Reserve Defence Forces - Naval Service Reserve - depending on where you live, are supposedly recruiting - this was mentioned last week on boards - I cannot verify that its true, others may be able to.

The rest of the reserve defence forces are not recruiting at this time.

No word has been given on when this will be reinstated.

So if you want infantry, cavalry, CIS, transport, artillery, medics etc you will have to wait probably until some time next year if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ace86

faithy2013 wrote: »
    hi could yhuu tell me if the R.D.F on the 1st of october because a man out off the r.d.f told me they were but ii couldn be sure if they are .. some people are saying diff if yhuu ahave any info for me on the dates they are recruiting could yhuu get back to me as soon as you can thanks .....
    and what would you need to bring in to the recruitment.. .. !!!

The best thing you can do is call to your nearest Rdf or Pdf Barracks and ask for the person in charge about recruting into the Organisation.You can bring along your Birth Cert and your Driving Licence or Passport and that should be sufficient. If there is no recruiting they will take your name and put it on a list and contact you when a vacancy arises.My personal opinion is there will be no recruitment for a few years bcos of the numbers that are there after the Re-Org that has just taken place, and also the state of the country with army barracks closing and financial cost and running of installations.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

Naval Service Reserve allowed to recruit up to establishment so small numbers involved, Army Reserve not allowed at the moment.
    There was a RDF Unit commanders meeting in the Curragh last Sat, might be more info from this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Sorry if ive posted in the wrong thread.
    But im having bother trying to locate my nearest Rdf base
    Ive contacted 3 different manpower offices with no joy as to where it is.
    Im living in laois and im trying to locate for possible recruitment.or at least get my name in
    thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭brennan10

Hi,

I'm new to boards here and after some info.

I'm living in Clontarf, aged 31 and have being wanting to join the RDF for some time now. I checked out the relevant military.ie website and looked under the RDF section. I phoned up cathal Brugha barracks in rathmines (7th Btn) to get information on whether recruitment is to occur in the near future. Something may be in the pipeline and been told to look out for media announments in the near future. In relation to been cleared by the gards how long does the process normally take and can I try to complete this process prior to joining or do I just have to wait on the say so??

Any info would be gratefully appreciated.

At the moment the NSR are allowed to recruit, at the moment Army HR are in talks with the NS about running an ad campaign in the press and recruiting like they do for the PDF interviews ect, nothing finalised yet.
    Hope this helps.i would think it is the future for the AR as well.

Thanks Mcko for that...do you think is it better to join the NSR rather than the RDF as it may be easier to join? Also is there any requirements that differ between the two for enlistment? Thanks.

Only you can decide which is better to join. DO you want to be a Naval Reservist or an Army Reservist. Nobody can make that decision for you. They will advise you based on their own experience, but that will be their personal opinion, nothing more.

It's like asking which taste better, apples or oranges?

• Advertisement

thanks, I get what your saying but to be honest the RDF has always interested me moreso. I was orginally a member of the RDF in the 28th Btn in Donegal 13 years ago for a short time but ended up having to be discharged due to having to relocate for college in Dublin. I have always wanted to rejoin again and now feel is the right time to do so as I only have a few more years left before age limit hits. Are you in the service yourself?

Retired.

Retired.

The NSR is a great organization that allows you to see and do things peole in the AR may not do, I have gone on over seas trips on ships been to the US for St Patricks Day gone on patrol with the Aer Corps.
    It's really diverse from shooting guns to sailing yachts to driving ships, it's all there for you.
    It's not better than the AR just different.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

The army reserve offer many experiences not on offer to nsr pers. also.

I never understand people wanting or having an interest in both the army and navy, they're 2 completely different jobs/hobbies bar minor trivial similarities (marching, shouting, styre).

If you like boats n hoes, go navy

If you like machine guns and carrying things with your body, go army.

No brainer.

What's the story with the Garda clearance at the moment? Can I give the releveant garda unit closest to me and start the process on prior to joining the RDF or do I have to wait until I know i'm accepted in the RDF to start that? I have heard that RDF recruitment may happen in Jan '14 in certain dublin units but nothing is certain. I would hold off concerning the Garda clearance but I know the process can take up to three months so thinking of getting ahead. I don't have a record and have nothing to worry about but is what i'm saying possible? any advice on this?? Thanks in advance...

Garda security clearance only gets sent off when you apply to join,ie when they recruit.
    The AR will only recruit when they go below 4000 pers, at the moment they are up at 4500.
    The NSR is currnently training on the GPMG and will roll out to all units shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Okay this thread escalated into something completely different very quickly :/

Anyway. Any word on the RDF returning to Mullingar and back to regular training?

[MOD]Infractions will be issued for dragging threads off topic, trolling, etc, read the charter please.[/MOD]

back on topic.

mcko wrote: »
    Naval Service Reserve allowed to recruit up to establishment so small numbers involved, Army Reserve not allowed at the moment.
    There was a RDF Unit commanders meeting in the Curragh last Sat, might be more info from this.

In relation to the above quote, has anyone heard what was announed or any plans from the RDF Unit commanders meeting in the Curragh recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Does anyone know what the story is with rank and rejoining the RDF?
    I left last year as I moved to the UK but got a job back in Ireland. If I rejoin, would I have to start again as a recruit or would I rejoin at my old rank?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Lockstep wrote: »
    I left last year as I moved to the UK but got a job back in Ireland. If I rejoin, would I have to start again as a recruit or would I rejoin at my old rank?

I would speculate that it depends what you mean by rank. If you mean Private 2* or Private 3* then you might be in with a reasonable chance as some units might be below strength at that rank and have vacancies. There was no recruitment last year. If you mean NCO I would think its highly unlikely. After the recent amalgamations of various units there is an oversupply of NCOs and many are serving "without appointment" eg they don't have a formal role in the units they are nominally attached to.

Edit: But to answer your specific question on recruit training I will ask and reply here. My instinct is that if there is a record of you having fired the recruit table on the Steyr then no you shouldnt have to redo recruit camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

chances are unless you have your discharge certificate, you may find yourself still on a list somewhere albeit non effective. Ring your barracks and ask, you never know. There are lads still on paper even though they are in Oz!

Paperworks all over the shop.

Mate of mine from my old unit contacted me last nigh, he'd received a letter from the army saying that as he had not signed back on 3 years ago he was being discharged..... funny thing was that he signed back on 3 years ago as did I - we both did it the same night. He had also requested to be discharged in the re-org back in March/April/Whenever this year
    :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

OK

1. Recruit Training: No if you reactivate or re-enlist you should not have to redo recruit training if you can show you recently participated in full time training.

2. Getting back in (reactivation): Your best bet is if you can reactivate. Its as put by Morpheus and Donegaldude. The paperwork is all over the shop and you may be on a list of people who are still in service but non-effective. In that case you may be able to reactivate if you can find a unit that will have you.

3. Getting back in (re-enlisting): If you have been formally discharged then you will have to wait until recruitment restarts although the process for you should be quicker.

4. Rank: Its pretty much as I put it. There are vacancies at private level but NCO level is going to be much more difficult.

If you want to make enquiries about Galway send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kalmanon2

Is there any word yet on if the Army Reserves are going to be recruiting any time soon? I am based in Carlow and been wanting to join for a while, but couldnt due to the recruitment freeze...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Morpheus wrote: »
    Paperworks all over the shop.

Mate of mine from my old unit contacted me last nigh, he'd received a letter from the army saying that as he had not signed back on 3 years ago he was being discharged..... funny thing was that he signed back on 3 years ago as did I - we both did it the same night. He had also requested to be discharged in the re-org back in March/April/Whenever this year
    :)

I got discharged because they couldn't "make contact" with me. Despite me having the entire unit(including senior NCOs) on Facebook. I think when the recruitment freeze came in, a lot of units tried some tactics to get some fresh blood in, and in some cases it back fired.

Advertisement