Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does childcare cost so much in Ireland?

Options
  • 26-03-2013 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

I was reading the below article and it does astonish me how much it costs in Ireland for childcare especially in Dublin where it can cost up to €1,000 per month per child. There has to be a more cost effective way of providing childcare.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/childcare-costs-three-months-of-average-annual-wage-589219.html

I know some of the costs are because of staffing levels with:
    Children under age of one requiring a staff to child ratio of 1-3
    Aged 1-2, ratio of 1-5
    Aged 2-3, ratio of 1-6
    Aged 3-6, ratio of 1-8

Are these providers making huge profits? Should the state get invoved in this sector and provide childcare facilities where they can operate on a break even basis?

What are your thoughts and opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Sand Wedge wrote: »
    I was reading the below article and it does astonish me how much it costs in Ireland for childcare especially in Dublin where it can cost up to €1,000 per month per child. There has to be a more cost effective way of providing childcare.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/childcare-costs-three-months-of-average-annual-wage-589219.html

Aged 1-2, ratio of 1-5
    Aged 2-3, ratio of 1-6
    Aged 3-6, ratio of 1-8

Are these providers making huge profits? Should the state get invoved in this sector and provide childcare facilities where they can operate on a break even basis?

I think you took the highest possible figure instead of the average of €162 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,269 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Childcare bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Taking care of somebody's spoilt little angel is no easy task, it's like you can just put them in a room and head off for a smoke and stick the head in ever 10 mins..

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

It is expensive on a monthly basis, but when you break it down-
    900euro p.m / 20 days
    = 45euro per day.

900-1000 euro a month is alot to spend and im sure someone is making money from it.
    But average of 45e to pay someone to mind your child for a full day doesnt seem like a huge amount

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Should the state get invoved in this sector and provide childcare facilities where they can operate on a break even basis?

No, they'd make a ****ing balls of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

A childminder in my locality charges about €65 per week and supplies food. That seems to be the going rate here.
    She minds more than one child.
    She's tied to her house for 13 hours a day, twice a week.
    She does a great job.
    I think she should charge a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Sand Wedge

Addle wrote: »
    A childminder in my locality charges about €65 per week and supplies food. That seems to be the going rate here.
    She minds more than one child.
    She's tied to her house for 13 hours a day, twice a week.
    She does a great job.
    I think she should charge a lot more.

That does seem like very good value. What locality is that in.

I suppose my query is more Dublin related then as most people I know are paying a minimum of a €1,000 per month. That is a lot to pay out of your after tax salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

You can replace 'childcare' and put nearly anything you can think of and it will still hold true.

We're an expensive little island.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Taking care of somebody's spoilt little angel is no easy task, it's like you can just put them in a room and head off for a smoke and stick the head in ever 10 mins..

I know our Childminder manages to get her shopping done, cook the dinner, do all her housework, visit her own (adult) children while minding our kids.

Its not a tough gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

What locality is that in.
    The West.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Keno 92 wrote: »
    You can replace 'childcare' and put nearly anything you can think of and it will still hold true.

We're an expensive little island.

Good point......what is Ireland cheap for.....that would be an interesting conversation.

I remember when I was a kid my mother used to go on about people flying in from Iceland to do their shopping in Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

A substantial proportion of that money will be spent on insurance. After that there is a lot of regulation that needs to be complied with, which is usually pretty expensive. If they could avoid all that then they would be a lot cheaper, but for some reason parents are really protective of their kids and demand high standards, and high standards are expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I can bearly afford my creche and have had to cut it down to a bear minimum, but you can't beat it for value for 2 babies.

I wouldnt do their job for double their pay!

Like all business, they have break even points and profit points. I can't see how the baby rooms can be anything other than loss making. (babies 6 month plus)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Its not a tough gig.

You serious? Minding kid(s) is not a tough gig?
    Do you have any young children?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I can bearly afford my creche and have had to cut it down to a bear minimum, but you can't beat it for value for 2 babies.

I wouldnt do their job for double their pay!

Like all business, they have break even points and profit points. I can't see how the baby rooms can be anything other than loss making. (babies 6 month plus)

It must be a nightmare when you get home and find you've picked up the wrong kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Insurance and rent are the two big killers for creches. Staff wages are a big cost but in the main creche staff aren't that well paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Sand Wedge

seamus wrote: »
    Insurance and rent are the two big killers for creches. Staff wages are a big cost but in the main creche staff aren't that well paid.

Anyone got an idea of what insurance costs would be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

pabloh999 wrote: »
    You serious? Minding kid(s) is not a tough gig?
    Do you have any young children?

It is a tough gig but if you are an individual childminder it can be a nice little job.

If a mother has a kid of her own to mind anyway and takes on the responsibility to mind two or three other kids then it can be pretty profitable.

This mother would be a stay at home mother so gets to do all her housework and that anyway all the while making a few hundred Euro extra per week for herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I suppose regulated places are new and there is little competition at the moment. Plus insurance for it must be huge.

I know in Germany the catholic church provides free child care if you pay the church tax which is 10% of you income. Which seems cheap enough. But I suppose the Germans don't have large families like the irish

hfallada wrote: »
    I suppose regulated places are new and there is little competition at the moment. Plus insurance for it must be huge.

I know in Germany the catholic church provides free child care if you pay the church tax which is 10% of you income. Which seems cheap enough. But I suppose the Germans don't have large families like the irish

I'd like to see that in Ireland purely for the thread it would generate in AH.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Three Seasons

I pay 150 per week for my 2 year old for 3 days a week. Luckily the grandparents help out on other days.

All in all I do feel it's worth it as she gets education as well as the chance to improve her social skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Anyone wrote: »
    I'd like to see that in Ireland purely for the thread it would generate in AH.

No doubt it will kick off shortly anyway.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Augmerson wrote: »

No, they'd make a ****ing balls of it.
    Yet it can be done in other countries. Lots of things can be done in other countries, that cannot be done here. We are too soft, too stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I know our Childminder manages to get her shopping done, cook the dinner, do all her housework, visit her own (adult) children while minding our kids.

Its not a tough gig.
    Maybe the one you know has it easy but i can tell you that my wife works in childcare with pre school age & by god she works hard,comes home exhausted & stressed.
    Also where she works struggle to get staff (CE workers) because nobody wants to work with kids as it is a tough gig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Aged 1-2, ratio of 1-5
    Aged 2-3, ratio of 1-6
    Aged 3-6, ratio of 1-8

That one is particularly interesting considering junior and senior infants range from 4-6 and their rations are far from 1-8. More like 1-25.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

For a parent to work full time:-

on average
    - work time of 37.5 hours,
    - travel time of at least 60 mins a day (to split the difference between the short commutes and the longer ones)

Looking at apx 9.5 hours of child care a day.

1000 / 20 days per month = 50 per day
    50 per day / 9.5 hrs = €5.26 per hour

Crèches are open about 13 hours a day, must have cover for breaks, lunch, early starts and late finishes.

Crèches usually provide all food and snacks.

Insurance, heat, equipment, wages make up the cost. Apparently the only way money is made is by the chains and playing the long game, after school, summer camps, etc.

I think it should be tax deductible myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think it should be tax deductible myself.
    Indeed, it's already a money spinner for the government.

If two parents are working and paying for creche, the government gets income from
    - Both parents' income tax
    - VAT on the creche service
    - Income tax on the creche employees
    - corporation taxes on the creche

If the parents have to give up the creche and one stays home to mind the kids, it results in a massive net loss to the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Plus more crèche / child care centres are needed and therefore more staff employed, more tax paid, more funds in circulation.

Aren't Creche Fees VAT exempt? Dunno if it has been changed recently.

As for the person staying home, and their income tax dropping, I'd assume the job would be filled by someone else who would pay tax.

• Advertisement

shedweller wrote: »
    Yet it can be done in other countries. Lots of things can be done in other countries, that cannot be done here. We are too soft, too stupid.

People wouldn't pay the Gov for it, they would complain that its another tax and demand the service for free.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement