Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal's yesteryears in photos

Options
  • 19-02-2013 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from the Donegal photo game thread we have decided to open a new thread for people to post any old photos they have of Donegal. We can run this along the same lies as the other thread in that someone can post an old pic and leave it for others to guess where it is.

Alternatively people can just post a pic and say what or where it is if they wish.

Bring it on :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

where is this? (are old ones allowed?)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

New Row, Donegal town?

byte wrote: »
    New Row, Donegal town?

New Row it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

more old ones would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

ootbitb wrote: »
    more old ones would be good.
    Agreed but I dont know if this is the right thread or not for them. I know the thread here started off as a bit of fun and a guessing game but it has garnished some fantastic photos of the county and the thread would be a great asset in showing off some of the magnificent sights and scenery to potential visitors to the county especially Boards.ie members.

Apart from the members we do get a lot (and I mean a lot) of non members viewing the posts here but what I'll do is have a talk with homer about this and get back to you all. :)

Edit: Having talked this over with homer we agreed that it would be best to have 2 separate threads with this one now being for old pics

• Advertisement

A couple of posts above moved from the "photo game" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Couple from around the Port Bridge in Letterkenny

12956.jpg

12957.jpg

this wont last long

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

an older ballyshannon?

correct, Ballyshannon it is, not sure what year though. Here is the full shot

• Advertisement

one more for luck,

one more for luck,
    That would be St Conals but Im a tad confused about the semi circular windows??

St. Conals it is.

Here is the full shot, the old barracks at Sprackburn is in the foreground, I thought that it was the back of the old St Conal's church but on closer inspection it looks like this was some sort of church that was built onto the front of the hospital, I can find out.. that shot looks like it was taken almost 100 years ago?

St. Conals it is.

Here is the full shot, the old barracks at Sprackburn is in the foreground, I thought that it was the back of the old St Conal's church but on closer inspection it looks like this was some sort of church that was built onto the front of the hospital, I can find out.. that shot looks like it was taken almost 100 years ago?
    It does indeed look as if there was some form of a chapel built onto the main building but its obviously now removed. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Termonator

muffler wrote: »
    It does indeed look as if there was some form of a chapel built onto the main building but its obviously now removed. Interesting.

Is it not just the Vestry which is still there as a little cafe or something?

Termonator wrote: »
    Is it not just the Vestry which is still there as a little cafe or something?
    It appears the long narrow windows in the original pic were replaced sometime during the last 100 years. Link to Google street view

another oldie

Kilmacrenan?

Kilmacrenan?

Kilmacrenan is right

here is another

• Advertisement

Milford maybe.

Milford maybe.

Milford is right

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

6XFqiA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Love old postcards and have a pretty good collection at this stage. Can anyone tell me where these two buildings were or are in Letterkenny? I'll delete them if there's any copyright issue.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled_1.jpg

First one might be Rockhill House.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

First one might be Rockhill House.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Senna wrote: »
    6XFqiA.jpg

Looks like Pettigo.

Love old postcards and have a pretty good collection at this stage. Can anyone tell me where these two buildings were or are in Letterkenny? I'll delete them if there's any copyright issue.

Untitled_1.jpg

This one is Hillmount Manse up past the Garda station on the New Line Road.

• Advertisement

Untitled.jpg

I think this was Fox Hall, which used to be here.

Advertisement