Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oblivion (Tom Cruise)

Options
  • 08-12-2012 4:22pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Tom Cruise stars in this sci-fi action-adventure from the director of Tron Legacy. Looks pretty cool!

It's out in April.

Synopsis:
    On a spectacular future Earth that has evolved beyond recognition, one man’s confrontation with the past will lead him on a journey of redemption and discovery as he battles to save mankind. Jack Harper (Cruise) is one of the last few drone repairmen stationed on Earth. Part of a massive operation to extract vital resources after decades of war with a terrifying threat known as the Scavs, Jack’s mission is nearly complete. Living and patrolling the breathtaking skies from thousands of feet above, his soaring existence is brought crashing down when he rescues a beautiful stranger from a downed spacecraft. Her arrival triggers a chain of events that forces him to question everything he knows and puts the fate of humanity in his hands.

In HD:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/universal/oblivion/

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My only tiny gripe is the post war earth looks like an untouched paradise :D Looks pretty promising though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Jack Harper - it's totally someone's job in Hollywood to come up with generic action hero names for Tom Cruise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So... am I the only one whose initial thought was it might be an adaptation of the Bethesda game? lol

Looks ok, I'm no fan of Cruise as any actor by any stretch, but could be fun. I don't think the Tron Legacy hate was entirely deserved, so should be interesting to see what Kosinski does next.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    So... am I the only one whose initial thought was it might be an adaptation of the Bethesda game? lol

If only, though I wouldn't want Cruise in that movie!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Trailer was pulled. I've put a new link in, but it's a bit out of sync.

EDIT: Fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Jack Harper - it's totally someone's job in Hollywood to come up with generic action hero names for Tom Cruise.

Coming to cinemas 2013: John Q Everyman.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I like Olga.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Trailer isn't great but i imagine the film is pretty decent from reading the story

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I like his gun.

nintendo-snes-scope.jpg

• Advertisement

Tom Cruise is: Wall-E

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Hmmm no sign of him sprinting in the trailer, could be ****...

Nice Poster

OBL_OnlineWebArt_1206_4_IGN-610x895.jpg?1354905641

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Jack is making a comeback. He hadn't used that ame since Legend and now he's got two in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kerrywoman1

I love the poster do you know where i could get a copy

That is a nice poster alright, steps away from the usual Cruise giant face used in most of his movies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

krudler wrote: »
    That is a nice poster alright, steps away from the usual Cruise giant face used in most of his movies.
    I guarantee that poster won't be the one used in multiplexes; there'll be another one produced, a little more Cruisian :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, it looks a teaser poster to me, which is the only time you see any creativity from big studio marketing departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,586 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Looks quite good plus the cinematographer for it is Claudio Miranda (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button & Life of Pi)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Didn't think much of the trailer but with the Cruiser & Morgan Freeman I have high hopes for this.

We don't get enough good big budget sci-fi so fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

FlashD wrote: »
    Didn't think much of the trailer but with the Cruiser & Morgan Freeman I have high hopes for this.

We don't get enough good big budget sci-fi so fingers crossed.

We have plenty next summer so hopefully they all do well and persuade Hollywood to push the envelope - Oblivion, Pacific Rim, Elysium, After Earth, Star Trek Into Darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Reckon this is going to be a work on I am Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I was surprised at how visually uninteresting the trailer was. Still, nice poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭FrogMarch

I was surprised at how visually uninteresting the trailer was. Still, nice poster.

Agreed. I don't have high hopes as the trailer looks a bit, em, odd. Or maybe they're intentionally not giving much away. Too early to tell but could be good. Certainly 'looks' nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Ha, the first thing I thought of when I read the name was

BenStiller.png

Kosinski is getting M83 to do the score. Risky, but if it pays off as well as Daft Punk did in Tron Legacy we could be in for a musical treat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah, me too. We can say a lot about Tron Legacy, but it was one of the most visually interesting blockbusters of recent times. Even the real world stuff was imaginatively filmed. Hopefully this will offer the same bold visuals.
    Kosinski is getting M83 to do the score. Risky, but if it pays off as well as Daft Punk did in Tron Legacy we could be for a musical treat.

This I like. Too many Hollywood scores sound identical these days, always nice to see someone thinking outside the box.

Kosinski is getting M83 to do the score. Risky, but if it pays off as well as Daft Punk did in Tron Legacy we could be for a musical treat.

Now I am interested; M83's most recent album was arguably a soundtrack in of itself, it could be a real treat to hear what they come up with as a score for an actual film.

the score was probably the best thing about Tron Legacy, I liked that movie but its purely for the visuals and music and a few of the setpieces.

now if only someone could compose trailer music that isnt all Inception horns we'll be laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I have to say that it looks interesting

Kind of like a better Battlefield Earth :pac:

I will go see it anyway

Advertisement