Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Does anyone know the default username and password for logging into the sky router?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Hogzy wrote: »
    Does anyone know the default username and password for logging into the sky router?

Username = admin

Password = sky

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

i dident realise that there was two threads going.anyways got an email this morning from sky saying the hub had being posted and i would be live on the 29the,got he hub from the courier about an hour ago:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Does anyone know if the stock wireless security on the Sky router is wep or wpa2?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SomewhereNicer

Further to above :

When I logged in to "My Sky" right after the call on Jan 14, I could see that my broadband order was "progressing" but my phone+talk order was "delayed"

I called the customer service number on Jan 21 as I was still seeing the delayed message and was told that there's "nothing wrong with the order" and it "must be an error" with my online account.

He apologised for the error and then I asked what's the extra €1 in the confirmation email -- he said "Line Rental" and then offered to transfer me to the sales dept. to CANCEL THE ORDER . . . I said I didn't want it cancelled and I ended the call.

---
    ---

This morning I received an email telling me that my broadband should be activated on Friday - Jan 25 - but the Hub has not yet been dispatched . . . AND I'm still seeing the delayed message for the phone service :(
    In general the order tracking in mysky is not very reliable at all, as people here on boards have received their hubs, but yet it still says on the order tracking that they haven't even been dispatched yet! So it ain't reliable.
    The sky talk order will stay delayed and in red colour until your broadband has been activated and fully set up.
    Everyone has been charged 1e for the line rental. Sky have to put something down for line rental on the first initial bill, so that's why it's been charged. But you will be refunded that 1e on your next bill.
    So there's nothing to worry about.
    Now since you ordered on the 14th, then you should just be waiting on the hub to arrive, and then it's just a case of activating that and then sky talk will then also activate. So the hub should be arriving pretty soon imo. You'll receive an email and text from dpd when the hub is coming.
    I think (but could be wrong) that the hubs are coming from Britain and therefore they may have been delays in shipping them due to the adverse weather.

Was it the Irish customer service that you were speaking to? Cause it appears that the person who you were speaking to didn't really seem to have a clue what he was talking about, in comparison to the people that I've spoke to at Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Meanwhile in the UK
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/22/sky_broadband_adding_customers_first_capacity_after/
    Sky has confessed it has overloaded its broadband service by putting far too many Brits onto its network. The media giant told The Register that it has run out of capacity in certain corners of the UK, which has knackered its users' internet connectivity at peak times.

Subscribers to Sky Broadband Unlimited in Doncaster, North Wales and Bristol have complained of connections grinding to a halt especially in the past three months. This is despite the company promising "we'll never slow your Unlimited broadband down, even at peak times".

One user of the ADSL service went public to report that his or her download speeds dropped to 2Mbps:

I would'nt worry too much about that happening in Ireland. If you take the populations of those 3 areas, its more than the total population here.

did u try out your sky hub Kristopherus??

No. There's 2 lappies going as well as the pc, so I dare not upset the applecart:D
    Did you?

not yet iam afraid that if i turn off vodafone router and set up the sky hub that i might not have any thing untill sky activate it on the 29h.id say it will be activated well before the 29th

• Advertisement

just tried there and its up and running for me so any one that ordered on the 14 and have the sky hub u might as well give it a go.iam getting the same speed as i was with vodafone which is about 5mb but at only a 10e amonth:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

In general the order tracking in mysky is not very reliable at all, as people here on boards have received their hubs, but yet it still says on the order tracking that they haven't even been dispatched yet! So it ain't reliable.
    The sky talk order will stay delayed and in red colour until your broadband has been activated and fully set up.
    Everyone has been charged 1e for the line rental. Sky have to put something down for line rental on the first initial bill, so that's why it's been charged. But you will be refunded that 1e on your next bill.
    So there's nothing to worry about.
    Now since you ordered on the 14th, then you should just be waiting on the hub to arrive, and then it's just a case of activating that and then sky talk will then also activate. So the hub should be arriving pretty soon imo. You'll receive an email and text from dpd when the hub is coming.
    I think (but could be wrong) that the hubs are coming from Britain and therefore they may have been delays in shipping them due to the adverse weather.

Was it the Irish customer service that you were speaking to? Cause it appears that the person who you were speaking to didn't really seem to have a clue what he was talking about, in comparison to the people that I've spoke to at Sky.

No, it was the UK call centre I was talking too -- he didn't appear to know anything about the €1 or that it'll be refunded...

ANYWAY :

Without warning today, the doorbell rang and it was DPD with my Sky Hub - no communications from them that it was coming.

The info pack with it said I'll be up-and-running on Friday, Jan 25.

However, I received an email this evening from Sky saying that my services - both Broadband & Phone, have been activated and I should connect my Sky Hub right away.

So from hearing nothing & getting a "delayed" message on "My Sky" it has all been delivered and switched on within a few hours today.

I'm typing this while connected with my new Hub and, although I was told I'd get "up to 10Mb/s" on my line, I'm currently getting 12

Happy Chappie tonight . . . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Went from under 3mb to just under 6mb which might not seem much to some - but means HD Netflix now and much speedier general browsing

Oh and unlimited is comforting - no checking vodafone site at the end of each month to see if I'm hitting that 40gb limit again

For those of us on rural exchanges, Sky's entry into the DSL market has been a big boost!

(Now don't hammer us price wise after the 12 months !:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭fernrock

No, it was the UK call centre I was talking too -- he didn't appear to know anything about the €1 or that it'll be refunded...

I have had several conversations with the sky Dublin office and, have found them very efficient to deal with.
    BTW the €1 is added AND then subtracted from each monthly bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

I received a call from Sky last night asking me if everything had switched over OK and whether I had any questions.

The agent sounded Irish but it was a London number on the Caller ID.

I asked her about the €1 charge and she confirmed it will be refunded.

My speed is still steady at 12Mb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

I received a call from Sky last night asking me if everything had switched over OK and whether I had any questions.

The agent sounded Irish but it was a London number on the Caller ID.

I asked her about the €1 charge and she confirmed it will be refunded.

My speed is still steady at 12Mb/s

Have had several conversations with Sky over the last few weeks. There numbers vary from English and Irish numbers.

Any IT chap out there. Please tell me why my Signal to noise ration has changed as well as the Down stream Att. This has happened since Sky started testing my line.

Airuser

Why are there two threads on Sky broadband? Surely the thread in the Broadband forum is a better place for this sort of talk?

Hogzy wrote: »
    Why are there two threads on Sky broadband? Surely the thread in the Broadband forum is a better place for this sort of talk?

Probably, yes. But this variation has happen with Sky and I want to see if others had this happen to them with Sky.

airuser wrote: »
    Probably, yes. But this variation has happen with Sky and I want to see if others had this happen to them with Sky.

So then ask the question on the Sky Broadband thread on the Broadband forum.

• Advertisement

Hogzy,

Thank you for your advice. Hope I may help you in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

airuser wrote: »
    Hogzy,

Thank you for your advice. Hope I may help you in the future.

That'll learn you airuser, get it right next time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Are the Sky Hubs like this one?

$(KGrHqV,!g0FC111PtDvBRBojk)u)Q~~48_80.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 45,872 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Nope. Just a square type box about 6" x 6" x 2" thick

Edit: here;s a pic

Tech_Specs_Expandedjpg_1032054028.jpg

The first one looks the biz,it'd sit nicely on a shelf of my multimedia cabinet.

its way to big for a modem, u need them small and tidy like the sky hub is

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Got an e-mail today to say my hub was on it's way, and should arrive in the next few days. About 3 minutes later there was a knock on the door and a courier handed me the package containing the hub.. Now that's efficiency!! :):)

(have to wait on my activation confirmation e-mail before hooking it up though)

naughto wrote: »
    its way to big for a modem, u need them small and tidy like the sky hub is

It's no bigger than the Vodafone one & has a stand so it can be stood on it's side.Anyhow looks like we are getting the white one.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

Mugser wrote: »
    Got an e-mail today to say my hub was on it's way, and should arrive in the next few days. About 3 minutes later there was a knock on the door and a courier handed me the package containing the hub.. Now that's efficiency!! :):)

(have to wait on my activation confirmation e-mail before hooking it up though)

same here..

• Advertisement

plug it in now and see what happen thats what i did and it was live when i pluged it in

Advertisement