Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon UK - Black Friday Deals - November 19 to 25

Options
  • 09-11-2012 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

Amazon UK have this - Black Friday Deals Week 2012 "from November 19 to 25 and feature over 1,000 Lightning deals"It has been good in the past,

Copy From part of there site -
    Amazon.co.uk's Black Friday Deals Week set a new benchmark in UK retail in the past two years. Over 1,000 deals in 2010 and 2011 included discounts of up to 80% on a range of bestselling products: hit CDs from Susan Boyle and Take That for £1, One Direction signed album copies, Microsoft Xbox and Nintendo Wii consoles for £50 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 [PS3 and Xbox] at 50% off. Other highlights included huge savings on LEGO, Adobe software, Timex watches, Sony TVs and LOVEFiLM subscriptions.

This should be good and its in 10 days... [ based on the past, its going to be better then the " 24hr sale starting November 8th! Book Depository" [now finished] anyhow:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Wonder will they give away a few Wii U's on the final day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

How does it work? Is there a limited number of each item, for example 100 xbox consoles? Or is the deal live for a specified time no matter how many units sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

I'm going to be ready for this mo fo this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

How does it work? Is there a limited number of each item, for example 100 xbox consoles? Or is the deal live for a specified time no matter how many units sell?

It's time and quantity, as far as I know.

Whitehawk wrote: »
    It's time and quantity, as far as I know.

Does that mean that the really good deals go so quickly that you need to get lucky to place an order?

• Advertisement

Wasn't it awful last year though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Wasn't it awful last year though?

Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Absolute rubbish last year. Got nothing of any note if at all.

Better deals this year on the footwear stuff than at Black Friday and I was searching.

Take note Ambo, I am not looking for anything so tempt me big time or no cigar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

This is just something they use to shift the stuff they can't get rid off. It's about 99% absolute crap and 1% is decent so that people will say "oh but last year they threw up some cheap playstations" and every year everyone is disappointed. Not this year, i've learned my lesson :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

jive wrote: »
    This is just something they use to shift the stuff they can't get rid off. It's about 99% absolute crap and 1% is decent so that people will say "oh but last year they threw up some cheap playstations" and every year everyone is disappointed. Not this year, i've learned my lesson :'(

So, like the DX bags o' crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Doodah7

It was much better the first year but last year was pretty poor. Although in saying that I did get an Oral B electric toothbrush for a brilliant price...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Big Lar

tallpaul wrote: »
    It was much better the first year but last year was pretty poor. Although in saying that I did get an Oral B electric toothbrush for a brilliant price...
    Well its the little things

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I got €120 off a Golf GPS device last year so there were bargains there

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

In America its great but over here where there's no competing sales the bar is very low. Why would they put on decent stuff when they sell out on the ****e anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Yea the first year was brilliant, some really fantastic stuff on offer. Last year was a bit poor, the recycled a lot of the same shoite time and time again over the week, that nobody was interested in, peppered with a few choice pieces. And the choice pieces didn't have as much of a reduction to them as they did the previous year.

They also changed the criteria for getting a deal. The first year, once you clicked on the deal and had it in your basket you had til midnight to pay and check out. Last year you had a fifteen minute window from when the item went in your basket or you lost it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

hdowney wrote: »

They also changed the criteria for getting a deal. The first year, once you clicked on the deal and had it in your basket you had til midnight to pay and check out. Last year you had a fifteen minute window from when the item went in your basket or you lost it

I think thats only fair. Stops people hoarding. You either want it or not

godtabh wrote: »
    I think thats only fair. Stops people hoarding. You either want it or not

True, I guess my problem with it is I don't have a credit card, just an o2 money card (there is a whole rant in there about AIB not having visa debit yet but...) and unless I want to stick a load of funds on the card on day one incase something comes up that I want and at a price I am prepared to pay I am a bit scuppered. Especially with the hidden deals. So the hidden deal pops up and it turns out to be something I want and at a fantastic price. I have a fifteen minute window to try get to a shop that accepts the top ups, top up the card, get home and check out :( and they always tell you it 'can' take up to an hour for the funds to go onto your card. And then there is the nighttime deals when the shop is closed :(

I do see the fairness in the fifteen minute window but..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

This was a bit of a disaster last year. I think it's more stress than it's worth generally, unless there is something you have your eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

The fifteen minute window also impacted the free super saving shipping. If you hadn't spent 25 within fifteen minutes of your first purchase you had to pay for shipping, rather than 'hoarding' and having it all shipped together for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

True, I guess my problem with it is I don't have a credit card, just an o2 money card (there is a whole rant in there about AIB not having visa debit yet but...) and unless I want to stick a load of funds on the card on day one incase something comes up that I want and at a price I am prepared to pay I am a bit scuppered. Especially with the hidden deals. So the hidden deal pops up and it turns out to be something I want and at a fantastic price. I have a fifteen minute window to try get to a shop that accepts the top ups, top up the card, get home and check out :( and they always tell you it 'can' take up to an hour for the funds to go onto your card. And then there is the nighttime deals when the shop is closed :(

I do see the fairness in the fifteen minute window but..

AIB do have visa debit. Used mine this morning.

• Advertisement

Jimdagym wrote: »

WHAT???? My AIB claim they don't. When did you get yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Jimdagym wrote: »

They are only starting to roll them out and not everyone will receive their Visa debit until Summer 2013. Have a look at this thread here re:visa debit - some very mixed feedback from varying branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

This sale is more annoying than anything. I remember two years ago, missing a few items i probably didn't need. Last year sitting with "ReloadEvery" installed first, then pressing F5 constantly.. The more people, the harder to buy. I'd say there are going to be a lot more people this year, So i am going to try and avoid it.. But i bet i get sucked in again..

Allyall wrote: »
    This sale is more annoying than anything. I remember two years ago, missing a few items i probably didn't need. Last year sitting with "ReloadEvery" installed first, then pressing F5 constantly.. The more people, the harder to buy. I'd say there are going to be a lot more people this year, So i am going to try and avoid it.. But i bet i get sucked in again..

So even if a good deal comes along you only have a few seconds get your order in before it's gone? Sounds too annoying for me.

I called 24 hour banking last wed week as mine was broken. Got a new pin friday and a card last tuesday. Completely painless. All lasers that break or get lost are being replaced by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭matchthis

Don't forget parcel motel for those of us that are near a pick up point. First two stays are free! Been waiting to use this and hopefully amazon will have something decent to use it on

matchthis wrote: »
    Don't forget parcel motel for those of us that are near a pick up point. First two stays are free! Been waiting to use this and hopefully amazon will have something decent to use it on

Yes Indeed, since they are opening one in Kilmac. Question re parcel motel. Do I need to register on the Parcel Motel website? (and should I do that BEFORE I need something from Amazon?)

Yes Indeed, since they are opening one in Kilmac. Question re parcel motel. Do I need to register on the Parcel Motel website? (and should I do that BEFORE I need something from Amazon?)

Yeah, you have to register first. They give you a reference which you use in your delivery address so your parcel gets to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭matchthis

Registered myself there on Friday, jus to have it done. Looks like you can change collection point, bit not sure if this can be changed after a purchase as there are two points close to me and depending on the week, one might be more handy than the other

• Advertisement

Grand I think I'll just go and register to be registered incase I have need. I assume you don't pay anything when you register

Advertisement