Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais price rise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Only mentions gas.

I am an BG electricity customer. Same for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭DailyBlaa

No news yet for electricity prices but being that we use gas turbines for generation it is not out of the question that we could see a rise in those prices further down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

This is a joke, they only got a 22% increase last year.

The bit I think is even more sickening is that they applied for a 7.54% increase but the commission decided to give them 8.5%

Their costs have increased blah blah, makes me sick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Same time every year, theres always a hike once the winter is coming

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Are Bord Gais workers as overpaid as ESB workers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Which ESB workers are overpaid?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

bassey wrote: »
    Which ESB workers are overpaid?

Ask Brendan Ogle
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/esbs-75500-staff-spoilt-admits-union-chief-2859455.html
    THE most senior union official at state-owned ESB has been caught on camera admitting the workers he represents are "spoilt".

Brendan Ogle, secretary of the group of unions representing more than 7,000 workers at the energy provider, said the staff had got used to "gravy" being poured from above.

Workers at ESB enjoy average salaries of €75,500 a year, which are worth €94,300 when generous pension contributions are included.

As usually treads here get derailed from gas price rises to public service bashing. There are far more external factors to the rises than salaries and as such there are the topics for discussion. We are very limited with out import policies being on the periphery of Europe. This factor with our own lack of state funded exploration of natural resources has led us to this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

DailyBlaa wrote: »
    As usually treads here get derailed from gas price rises to public service bashing. There are far more external factors to the rises than salaries and as such there are the topics for discussion. We are very limited with out import policies being on the periphery of Europe. This factor with our own lack of state funded exploration of natural resources has led us to this stage.

The problem with external factors is that they are are usually external to our control.
    State funded exploration of natural resources is too expensive and is a long term project anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

DailyBlaa wrote: »
    As usually treads here get derailed from gas price rises to public service bashing. There are far more external factors to the rises than salaries and as such there are the topics for discussion.
    Which factors?
    natural-gas-henry-hub-y-charts-2012-april-27-580.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Footy101

Lads/Ladies, no more interested in getting into all that nonsense. More interested in the cost of my bills over the Christmas period. I'm thinking about changing from B. Gais to another gas and electricity supplier. Any suggestions? Was thinking about Electric Ireland (living in Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

Footy101 wrote: »
    Lads/Ladies, no more interested in getting into all that nonsense. More interested in the cost of my bills over the Christmas period. I'm thinking about changing from B. Gais to another gas and electricity supplier. Any suggestions? Was thinking about Electric Ireland (living in Dublin)
    There is no real competition on the energy market. All companies offer about the same prices. If one of them is giving you lower price, be sure they will inrease it in few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Footy101

There is no real competition on the energy market. All companies offer about the same prices. If one of them is giving you lower price, be sure they will inrease it in few weeks time.

Good craic. Love paying bills :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

The Energy Regulator should be replaced by a rubber stamp. No need for highly paid group here just set up an automatic increase on a regular basis and implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

@count dooku, allegedly it's a currency flux, which to me sounds transitory. Also should be reflected throughout Eurozone as we typically get gas from Russia?

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Someone called to our door not to long ago can't remember the company now(typical) telling me they're cheaper than bordgais. I think it might have been flo gas??

I'll be changing anyway that's a joke we've both gas and elec with them.

So long Bord Gais

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

Why didn't the regulator tell them to lower costs instead, starting with the ridiculous salaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

You know those chairs they bought (http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/08/30/this-will-make-you-very-upset/) those dont pay for themselves ....

Not to mind that fancy building they moved into

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Cerco wrote: »
    The Energy Regulator should be replaced by a rubber stamp. No need for highly paid group here just set up an automatic increase on a regular basis and implement.

It's even worse than a rubber stamp.

At least that would only give them the increase they actually applied for .

To give them more without them even asking for a further increase shows the Regulator has been captured by the industry

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/workers-seek-pay-for-3km-move-2857157.html
    Unions have made a claim for compensation for additional travel time. The talks are ongoing.
    so are those who now travel less, offering to give up some pay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Maybe theres an obvious answer that I cant figure out but should our energy costs not be reducing due to the huge amount of windmills now dotted all over the country compared to a few years ago?

I dont believe that energy costs have reduced over the last number of years since the popularity of these windmills increased but of course I may be wrong.

delop wrote: »
    You know those chairs they bought (http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/08/30/this-will-make-you-very-upset/) those dont pay for themselves ....

That is sickening.

Maybe theres an obvious answer that I cant figure out but should our energy costs not be reducing due to the huge amount of windmills now dotted all over the country compared to a few years ago?

I dont believe that energy costs have reduced over the last number of years since the popularity of these windmills increased but of course I may be wrong.

More likely our costs will go up due to these, wind is between 10-30% more expensive per megawatt/hour compared to gas turbine. And if you figure in off-shore wind that comparison goes out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Footy101 wrote: »

Flogas are currently the cheapest for natural gas IIRC.
    Bonkers.ie is an excellent website for all those price comparisons for gas, electricity and phone/broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Wholesale electricity prices are completely dependent on gas prices here because 60% of our electricity is generated using gas.

However that is a separate issue to domestic gas prices an gas for SME businesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Is it possible that ESB and BGE are getting lousy deals on natural gas imports due to the state's bad credit rating at present?

I know Greece suffered energy and other import issues due to this.

i.e. are we paying higher than market prices because some oil / gas oligopolist thinks we're a dodgy credit risk or has some automatic formula that kicks in designed to protect them but that actually cripples already crippled economies even more...

Is there any information available on what BGE and ESB are actually paying for gas imports?

This kind of hiking is rather worrying to say the least as it's an absolutely enormous burden on the economy equivalent to a very serious tax hike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭A fella called fish

Just changed over to flo gas.

If enough people leave bord gais it will at least show them that we're not taking this crap anymore. Who is still with them? Leave, it wont cost you anything and takes 5 minutes over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

delop wrote: »

They have just bought 8,500 of those chairs where I am working at the moment and they cost £870 each. They are wicked comfy though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Just changed over to flo gas.

If enough people leave bord gais it will at least show them that we're not taking this crap anymore. Who is still with them? Leave, it wont cost you anything and takes 5 minutes over the phone.
    You are aware that the if Flo ever reached BGs level BG would be allowed to undercut them right? That Flo et al only have a business because of BGs minimum price has been set to be artificially higher then the competitors (who in general resell BG gas).

All you're doing is getting a slightly cheaper price but once enough switch BG can set their own prices with out regulation as they are no longer considered to big; want to guess what direction the prices will go then (and since most resell BG gas in the first place...)?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Interesting to see that our Northern brethren are getting a reduction in electricity due to an "easing" in gas and coal prices

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19343459

Advertisement