Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-08-2012, 18:33   #1
babymanval

Ridiculous Workplace Rules, Policies, Requests, PC, Initiatives, etc.

Hi all,

Workplace policies/procedures/rules/directives from management etc. can often be ridiculous, counter-productively nonsensical at times. However I heard the most ridiculous one today. A friend of mine texted me at lunch to tell me about a farcical 30 minute meeting that she had to sit through:

She got an email requesting her to attend a meeting with her line manager this morning. It transpired that the purpose of this was to discuss any support that she may need for "any addictions that [she] might be suffering with"... The catalyst for this? Her manager had observed her taking three, rather than the recommended two tablets (for her Katie Taylor homecoming-inspired hangover). Furthermore, the manager observed that she had 2 packets of Solpadeine on her desk, "in full view". She came away from the meeting with some literature on addiction agencies, and a heartfelt reassurance that the management have a staunch policy of standing behind employees where they need support.

It got me to thinking; I've heard of some management requests/policies that would make you want to rip your hair out. They always put me in mind of the film "Office Space" (TPS reports etc). My experiences have been:

- A request that I wear black slacks, instead of the very (very, very, very) dark blue/navy ones I was wearing, in a telesales job, with zero contact with anyone, ever.
- The (quickly boycotted) organisation of separate male and female Xmas "parties", so "as not to encourage workplace romance/indiscretions leading to awkwardness/disruption in the team".

Anyone else?

Last edited by babymanval; 14-08-2012 at 18:39.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-08-2012, 18:37   #2
MagicMarker

My employer doesn't allow fisting.
14-08-2012, 18:40   #3
The Amazing Spiderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymanval View Post
Hi all,

Workplace policies/procedures/rules/directives from management etc. can often be ridiculous, counter-productively nonsensical at times. However I heard the most ridiculous one today. A friend of mine texted me at lunch to tell me about a farcical 30 minute meeting that she had to sit through:

She got an email requesting her to attend a meeting with her line manager this morning. It transpired that the purpose of this was to discuss any support that she may need for "any addictions that [she] might be suffering with"... The catalyst for this? Her manager had observed her taking three, rather than the recommended two tablets (for her Katie Taylor homecoming-inspired hangover). Furthermore, the manager observed that she had 2 packets of Solpadeine on her desk, "in full view". She came away from the meeting with some literature on addiction agencies, and a heartfelt reassurance that the management have a staunch policy of standing behind employees where they need support.

Anyone else?
Sure that sounds like a bit of an overreaction. But at least they mean well
14-08-2012, 18:41   #4
Lyaiera

My employer prefers we only have a few drinks while working and keep the heavy drinking for when we've knocked off.
14-08-2012, 18:41   #5
Millicent

So, your friend has a hangover on a workday, takes more than the prescribed dose of OTC medicine, and has two boxes of a highly addictive, tightly controlled and usually prescription-only codeine painkiller on her desk? I wonder why her boss might have thought she had difficulty with substance abuse problems.
Advertisement
14-08-2012, 18:41   #6
Cassidy28

It seems fairly okay to me.
Thanks from:
14-08-2012, 18:42   #7
marshbaboon

I was brought into a managers office & told I "wasn't friendly enough & needed to spend more time talking to co-workers".
14-08-2012, 18:43   #8
mauzo
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshbaboon View Post
I was brought into a managers office & told I "wasn't friendly enough & needed to spend more time talking to co-workers".
I was told that too, so I started screwing half the staff
14-08-2012, 18:44   #9
The_Dazzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millicent View Post
So, your friend has a hangover on a workday, takes more than the prescribed dose of OTC medicine, and has two boxes of a highly addictive, tightly controlled and usually prescription-only codeine painkiller on her desk? I wonder why her boss might have thought she had difficulty with substance abuse problems.
What's this now?
Advertisement
14-08-2012, 18:44   #10
some random drunk

In my ex-girlfriend's office they were only permitted to drink bottles of water at their desks (including carbonated, flavoured water). She had a bottle of 7up one day and was given out to and warned not do it again.
14-08-2012, 18:44   #11
Where To
Closed Account

I love my boss, he's the bestest boss in the world ever, very handsome also.
14-08-2012, 18:45   #12
Millicent

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshbaboon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by syndeyfife View Post
I got told I was talking too much to customers. In a retail job. Because I was making chit chat while scanning through shopping. How the fuck is that a bad thing?
14-08-2012, 18:45   #13
1ZRed
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndeyfife View Post
Yeah like you needed a reason
14-08-2012, 18:45   #14
Lyaiera

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dazzler View Post
What's this now?
It's no longer over the counter. I think the pharmacists have a little leeway over handing it out though.
14-08-2012, 18:45   #15
Millicent

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dazzler View Post
What's this now?
Solpadeine is ridiculously hard to get now. Same rules as that for Nurofen Plus cos of the codeine in it.

Last edited by Millicent; 14-08-2012 at 19:52.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion