Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Surgery?

Options
  • 12-08-2012 7:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

So anyone ever get a bit over enthusiastic with the toe nail clippers? After my shower this morning I went a took a scissors and a box cutters and cut out a verruca out of my right foot, I had tried freezing it a dozen times and even used acid before but go nowhere.

Last week I was told I'd have to wait 15months for a consultant dermatologist to see me. Today I bit the bullet today and got out a scissors and and new box cutter, scalded both and went to work cutting out the horrible thing. It was very painful and I rubbed vodka on the bleeding wound afterwards before rubbing a red hot nail into it to cauterize it by burning it and that stopped the blood.

Its not a sore now as I took two paracetamols but I have been hobbling around all day. I had the verrucca for two and a half years as I caught from a German swimming pool in a hotel whilst I was there before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You going to do the inevitable amputation yourself too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Every so often , I despair of AH ... I get fed up and make my mind up to close my account .. and then a thread like this comes along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Once I was trimming the hair on my scrotum with a scissors while stoned.

I snipped some of my ball sac off.

It hurt.

Stinicker wrote: »
    So anyone ever get a bit over enthusiastic with the toe nail clippers? After my shower this morning I went a took a scissors and a box cutters and cut out a verruca out of my right foot, I had tried freezing it a dozen times and even used acid before but go nowhere.

Last week I was told I'd have to wait 15months for a consultant dermatologist to see me. Today I bit the bullet today and got out a scissors and and new box cutter, scalded both and went to work cutting out the horrible thing. It was very painful and I rubbed vodka on the bleeding wound afterwards before rubbing a red hot nail into it to cauterize it by burning it and that stopped the blood.

Its not a sore now as I took two paracetamols but I have been hobbling around all day. I had the verrucca for two and a half years as I caught from a German swimming pool in a hotel whilst I was there before.

Any chance of a pic of the verrucca ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Once I was trimming the hair on my scrotum with a scissors while stoned.

I snipped some of my ball sac off.

It hurt.

Reading that gave me instant pain...:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

mattjack wrote: »
    Any chance of a pic of the verrucca ?

Nah, I cut it out and flicked the bloody bits in the bin, I have it dressed with cotton wool and sellotape

Nah, I cut it out and flicked the bloody bits in the bin, I have it dressed with cotton wool and sellotape

Have you heard of them things they have now ? plasters, I think they call them...sellotape's gone outta fashion ,I hear .

mattjack wrote: »
    Have you heard of them things they have now ? plasters, I think they call them...sellotape's gone outta fashion ,I hear .

Cotton wool and sellotape works better as it allows to soak more blood and by wrapping the sellotape around the foot it keeps it in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Don't forget to cauterise the wound with a lighter.

Cotton wool and sellotape works better as it allows to soak more blood and by wrapping the sellotape around the foot it keeps it in place.

Ahhh I see, you've obviously put a lot of thought into this.

• Advertisement

You and me are just mere amateurs .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I rubbed vodka on the bleeding wound afterwards
    F*cking insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

He stuck a red hot nail into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Chucken wrote: »
    He stuck a red hot nail into it!
    Paging Dr.Norris...

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

A real man would've taken the vodka and made a Bloody Mary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pensivepuca

I was tempted to rip out my tooth last night because it was in pain. Decided against it, gonna let the dentist have a go. I did pull a splinter out of my ear once in fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

OMG, this thread made me shudder :(

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

please tell me this is true,pure gold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Pussies do that. The trick is open shells and use the gunpowder to cauterise the wound

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

I love operating on splinters caught in the hand. A red hot sewing needle and a good rummage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

This is a leg-end of a story!! (Do ya see what I did there....legend...leg end=foot)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Real men bazuka that veruca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

It doesn't look like you removed it all! Time for the stanley knife - any chance you can film it and post the footage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

TheBody wrote: »
    This is a leg-end of a story!! (Do ya see what I did there....legend...leg end=foot)

That's sole destroying:p.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

If you put duct tape over it, it will draw the verucca out, it also stops air getting to the verucca the skin goes white and its easier to dig the verucca out.

Been there and done that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

Did a small bit of DIY surgery as well. had 6 skin tags that i ripped off with a pliers, couldn't be arsed with oil treatments, wanted something instant.
    another was athletes foot that wouldn't go away with all the creams i put on my feet so pissed off one day i went out the back in my bare feet and kicked the ground in a fast sliding motion for about 5 mins till most my foot was bloody and raw and top layer of skin was gone, athletes foot gone and never returned!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

This guy had fluid on his knee and did a diy job to release it...

Its a bit nasty and the language it bad bad bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZEZyNDn3lU&feature=plcp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

I had a wart on a knuckle on my left hand for a few months, decent size too.

Tried putting duct tape over it for a while and it would get a little smaller but would come back again.

Finally, after being fed up looking at it I just butchered it off with a nail clippers.

It bled for hours but when I eventually stopped the bleeding I whacked more duct tape onto it, after a week it was more or less gone and a small scab remained.

Scab fell off and all thats left is a tiny scar but completely smooth knuckle is once more.

*kisses knuckle*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

I sliced a wart off my knuckle with a stanley knife once.
    And any time I got stitches I removed them myself rather than queue in hospital a second time.
    When I worked on building sites running repairs with insulating tape for cuts were the norm.

Advertisement