Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Omgea 3 Fish oils

Options
  • 02-08-2012 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

One has fish body oil 1000 mg providing EPA 180mg and DHA 120mg

The other has fish oil 1000mg providing EPA and DHA 250mg. There is no break down of EPA and DHA and i do not know if it means 250mg of each

Assuming it is 250mg total between EPA and DHA which is best for a cholesterol reducing diet

The boxes are almost identical

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Advice my mother got from the leading cardiologist in the west of ireland.

the MAIN thing you need, ahead of prescription medicine, to lower cholesterol is "co-enzyme Q-10".

I take 2 a day. You can get it in Tesco. Dear enough at 10 for 90, but anything Ive read about it online has been excellent.

I honestly dont understand the difference in fish oils :(

Why not google it for yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭whiteonblu

the MAIN thing you need, ahead of prescription medicine, to lower cholesterol is "co-enzyme Q-10".

I take 2 a day. You can get it in Tesco. Dear enough at 10 for 90, but anything Ive read about it online has been excellent.

do not understand all the EPA etc. Have you evidence of reduced cholesterol with Q10 other than reading have you had yours high and come down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Iherb.com do it much cheaper. What strenght is the one you buy? 30mg?

I've never heard of or seen an evidence that it helps in reducing cholesterol. co-enzyme Q-10 is vital for heart function and those with low levels are a high risk of heart disease and complications. And guess what statins that doctors prescribe for lowering cholesterol also reduce the livers capabilities to produce co-enzyme Q-10 !!!

whiteonblu wrote: »
    One has fish body oil 1000 mg providing EPA 180mg and DHA 120mg

The other has fish oil 1000mg providing EPA and DHA 250mg. There is no break down of EPA and DHA and i do not know if it means 250mg of each

Assuming it is 250mg total between EPA and DHA which is best for a cholesterol reducing diet

The boxes are almost identical

Thanks

just aim for the one with the higest numbers of both EPA & DHA, best place and value if find is on myprotein.ie, buy the liquid.

mount per 5ml serving:
    EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid): 825mg
    DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid): 550mg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I buy the liquid from myprotein, it's great value. A quick tip is get a bottle of their strawberry flavdrops to go with it. The flavour of the oil is relatively inoffensive to be fair compared to others but a drop of strawberry in the spoon with it makes it go down a bit easier!

• Advertisement

"Have you evidence"

No evidence, just what the cardiologist said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

You might be a bit off the mark there are co q 10 is more of a supplement you take when also taking statins (cholesterol lowering medication) so no way it's a priority over fish oils if you are not already taking statins.

Overall for cholesterol lowering coming off all junk food, cut out wheat, eat more essential fats and get active in a big way will make biggest difference

You might be

Not me my man, the cardiologist dude....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Transform wrote: »

Overall for cholesterol lowering coming off all junk food, cut out wheat, eat more essential fats and get active in a big way will make biggest difference

as well as cutting out foods, you should eat foods which will help lower cholesterol. Nuts, whole grains (oats, barley) are great source of soluble fibre, fruit & veg. plenty of exercise and lots of water. all of these, plus a spoon of lecitin granules twice a day and I've lowered mine from over 7 to under 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

You might be

Yeah so you could be parroting the information incorrectly

• Advertisement

You might be

Yea still unlikely

as well as cutting out foods, you should eat foods which will help lower cholesterol. Nuts, whole grains (oats, barley) are great source of soluble fibre, fruit & veg. plenty of exercise and lots of water. all of these, plus a spoon of lecitin granules twice a day and I've lowered mine from over to under 5.

heard about that but dont think there is any scientific evidence of that

http://www.illpumpyouup.com/articles/will-lecithin-lower-your-blood-cholesterol-levels.htm

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400272/lecithin-for-cholesterol-control.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

ya, I know, for every positive thing you read about a vitamin, supplement, food you'll also find a negative or noncommittal comment, but all I know is it worked for me. granted the big increase in exercise and eating properly worked too.

he must own shares in a coenzyme q 10 factory.

or else the cardiologist knows less than you about heart health.

OR he's gone crazy.

ya, I know, for every positive thing you read about a vitamin, supplement, food you'll also find a negative or noncommittal comment, but all I know is it worked for me. granted the big increase in exercise and eating properly worked too.

This is a great reply,

I’ll be very serious when I say most GP’s haven’t a clue about the latest finding in terms of treating heart disease, cardoligists only know a little bit more that GP’s.
    Make some changes to your lifestyle, track them and measure the results.

Chancer3001 you heard wrong, do some research, there a loads of studies out there on the effects statins have on CQ10.

ok cool.

Must have heard wrong.

i did manage to find a random study on google.

maybe people will like that more.

CoQ10 lowers LDL cholesterol by 12.7% in just 2 weeks....

http://newhope360.com/heart-health/coq10-lowers-cholesterol-127-percent

i did manage to find a random study on google.

maybe people will like that more.

CoQ10 lowers LDL cholesterol by 12.7% in just 2 weeks....

http://newhope360.com/heart-health/coq10-lowers-cholesterol-127-percent

Not the greatest of studies very small and narow sample only 53 healthy young males over a very short time frame. No other variables mentioned.

Would be interesting to see the full study.

yeah.

he must own shares in a coenzyme q 10 factory.
    very possible or some financial interest

• Advertisement

whiteonblu wrote: »
    very possible or some financial interest
    its not like the docs dont have reps in every week flogging them drugs and supplements for patients to take

yeah thats probably it.

Advertisement