Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gambling/Odds threads

Options
  • 17-07-2012 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,135 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from the last poll:

Do you want in thread gambling or a dedicated thread?

Where do you want your gambling/betting talk? 17 votes

Separate Thread
    0% 0 votes
    In Thread
    100% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Gmpd

Is this not pretty much in a round about way the same poll? :S

• Registered Users Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Gmpd wrote: »

No, this would be the next step if first poll gets the Yes vote I presume.

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    Gmpd wrote: »

No, this would be the next step if first poll gets the Yes vote I presume.

Bit like the Lisbon treaty.. Sure just run it again only change the name?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mikeunt

why is this becoming an issue now
    there has always been a thread for every event on both sides of the pond and posters say who they think will play well and if they have a few euros on them
    what is the big deal
    it seemed to work fine all along

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

the first poll is to see should comments of gambling be allowed in the golf forum as well as the gambling form & the second is where to discuss it - two totally different topics.

• Advertisement

charlieIRL wrote: »
    the first poll is to see should comments of gambling be allowed in the golf forum as well as the gambling form & the second is where to discuss it - two totally different topics.

I see.. I stand corrected

charlieIRL wrote: »

I see.. I stand corrected

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

no worries.

heard ya the first time too!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭MP62

Without a third option of "I don't mind", this poll is meaningless.
    We are all capable of making our own decisions regarding having a punt, what's with this notion of censorship all of a sudden, are the folks up stairs cracking the whip?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Hey what the feckis this Lisbon 2 a recount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

we dont need a seperate gambling thread just allow gambling talk in the normal threads as things were

• Registered Users Posts: 27,135 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

MP62 wrote: »
    Without a third option of "I don't mind", this poll is meaningless.
    We are all capable of making our own decisions regarding having a punt, what's with this notion of censorship all of a sudden, are the folks up stairs cracking the whip?.

Censorship? Again with the conspiracy theories.
    Its nothing to do with making decisions, its about whether or not these types of threads belong in a golf forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Rarely enough are odds etc mentioned
    Generally some of us have a small flutter on the majors
    It's hardly a gateway to a life of out and out gambling

Keep the status quo

soundsham wrote: »
    Rarely enough are odds etc mentioned
    Generally some of us have a small flutter on the majors
    It's hardly a gateway to a life of out and out gambling

Keep the status quo

I think lots of you are missing the point.
    We couldnt care less about whether or not people are gambling on golf, its purely about whether or not these types of threads/posts should be in the golf forum or the gambling forum and if they should be in the golf forum should they have their own dedicated thread??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Seves Three Iron

I wouldn't have enough interest in golf gambling to go off to a specific thread looking for it but I do like when odds are included in general discussions like, Sergio is playing well and he's 40/1. My tuppence worth is that I thought it was fine as it was.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Dont see the harm in mentioning odds when talking about the golf , I think sports and betting go hand in hand these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭MP62

GreeBo wrote: »
    Censorship? Again with the conspiracy theories.
    In the normal world having a thread about the open championship with strict instructions not to refer to betting equates to censorship, but maybe in greenbo land it means something else.
    Its nothing to do with making decisions, its about whether or not these types of threads belong in a golf forum
    I don't see what the issue is, maybe you don't realise that in Ireland betting and sports go hand in hand, so if ain't broke then why are you trying to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

This kinda seems like a Pole just to have a pole. There is plenty of rubbish spoken on all threads so what does it matter if odds are spoken too.
    Whatever happened to freedom of speech?
    If there not abusive posts, then what's the issue??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Probably impossible to police, and would give the mods no end of hassle. Just leave the way it was, it wasnt a problem imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

This kinda seems like a Pole just to have a pole. There is plenty of rubbish spoken on all threads so what does it matter if odds are spoken too.

like I said .. it's such an overkill ..
    over complicating things with absolutely no need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Really can't see the issue myself, it just seems needlessly fussy and divisive to split things up. Talk of odds is natural in threads where there is a major interest in an event, I honestly can't see how it's disruptive at all.

Restricting debate, especially when mentioning someone's odds is a great shorthand way to indicate their chances and form, is just daft.

I'm not sure what Polish people have to do with it, but if you want freedom of speech go to America, there is no freedom of speech on boards.ie. Its a business. Read the T&C's that you signed up to when you first joined.

The "issue" is about how we want the forum to run, it doesn't have to be abusive to be unwanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Any sign of White Smoke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

I'm not sure what Polish people have to do with it, but if you want freedom of speech go to America, there is no freedom of speech on boards.ie. Its a business. Read the T&C's that you signed up to when you first joined.

The "issue" is about how we want the forum to run, it doesn't have to be abusive to be unwanted.

Is that we as in everyone? or we as in the mods and a select few.

Anyway I see normal service is restored in the open thread where bickering over certain golfers has started. I expect the McIroy nationality issue to pop up soon ;)

This is how I see these threads going every tournament:
    Posters start with talking about odds and players chances;
    The tournament starts and people start commenting on the tournament and forget about betting;
    The usual suspects fall out over certain players;
    Someone has a dig about McIroy's nationality and receive a warning;
    Someone posts about the imaginary player Rory McElroy;
    Tiger gets slagged off;
    Harrington get himself into contention and everyone posts about if he can deliver at the weekend;
    Weekend comes and a few people start spending the money they might win from their bets;
    Tiger gets slagged off again;
    Harrington fails to deliver and we all the discuss the what might have been;
    Someone wins a bet and posts about it;
    We all move on to the next tournament.

As far as I see it, the discussion on the betting really only lasts until the tournament kicks off. Not a big deal to be fair as it only adds to the build up.

Nothing worse then when someone picks up on a spelling mistake in a debate, usually a sign of lower intelict and they are firmly on the back foot. This is not countdown right?
    Now I know the above mentioned couldn't be true for this case, So Im willing to give the benefit of the doubt and just assume it was a rather average attempt at comedy..

Anyway, I think the "pole" results speak for themselves in that if you go down the line of policing this kind of harmless fun, you could end up with a lot of unnecessary work on your hands and a very derilict forum.

Nothing worse then when someone picks up on a spelling mistake in a debate, usually a sign of lower intelict and they are firmly on the back foot. This is not countdown right?
    Now I know the above mentioned couldn't be true for this case, So Im willing to give the benefit of the doubt and just assume it was a rather average attempt at comedy..

Anyway, I think the "pole" results speak for themselves in that if you go down the line of policing this kind of harmless fun, you could end up with a lot of unnecessary work on your hands and a very derilict forum.

Apologies, my phone has a habit of missing smileys.
    As for unnecessary work, this forum already creates a lot of unnecessary work for mods and admins, I don't see this as adding to it.

Apologies, my phone has a habit of missing smileys.
    As for unnecessary work, this forum already creates a lot of unnecessary work for mods and admins, I don't see this as adding to it.
    No offence taken. I can't add smileys or other emotions on my phone either, maybe that's a better thing to be working on then this. (smiley).

I still think It would be unfair to punish someone for quoting odds on a sports forum as its generally a posters way of engaging in the thread, but on the flip side if it was constant it would annoy me too.

If you can find a medium, then good stuff. If not I say leave it as it is.

We are discussing the results of the two polls and will let you know when a final decision had been made.
    Thx to all who voted.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭technodub

This is becoming ridiculous i think people just like to have a moan and give out about something. If they have no interest in the gambling thats fair enough but separating the threads is ridiculous.... Some people like to read about the thoughts on the comp and the gambling..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,877 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Is that we as in everyone? or we as in the mods and a select few.

Anyway I see normal service is restored in the open thread where bickering over certain golfers has started. I expect the McIroy nationality issue to pop up soon ;)

This is how I see these threads going every tournament:
    Posters start with talking about odds and players chances;
    The tournament starts and people start commenting on the tournament and forget about betting;
    The usual suspects fall out over certain players;
    Someone has a dig about McIroy's nationality and receive a warning;
    Someone posts about the imaginary player Rory McElroy;
    Tiger gets slagged off;
    Harrington get himself into contention and everyone posts about if he can deliver at the weekend;
    Weekend comes and a few people start spending the money they might win from their bets;
    Tiger gets slagged off again;
    Harrington fails to deliver and we all the discuss the what might have been;
    Someone wins a bet and posts about it;
    We all move on to the next tournament.

As far as I see it, the discussion on the betting really only lasts until the tournament kicks off. Not a big deal to be fair as it only adds to the build up.

Have to say, this post is class. :D As in - it all came true.

Advertisement