Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II - Page 4 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

02-07-2012, 17:43   #46
Podge_irl

That's grossly underselling Nacewa. If he didn't have a two minute cap for Fiji he would have never come to Ireland as he would have been an All Black. There is a reason they put so much effort into trying to make him eligible. He also wasn't signed as a 10, he was signed as a centre/fullback who could cover 10 (a point Cheika stressed when the signing was announced). There was little elation at his signing amongst supporters because he was unknown up here.

He's not even remotely in the same category as the signings Leinster have made this season.
Advertisement
02-07-2012, 17:49   #47
.ak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge_irl View Post
That's grossly underselling Nacewa. If he didn't have a two minute cap for Fiji he would have never come to Ireland as he would have been an All Black. There is a reason they put so much effort into trying to make him eligible. He also wasn't signed as a 10, he was signed as a centre/fullback who could cover 10 (a point Cheika stressed when the signing was announced). There was little elation at his signing amongst supporters because he was unknown up here.

He's not even remotely in the same category as the signings Leinster have made this season.
Really? I always seem to remember him coming here as a fly-half/12/utility back. :/
02-07-2012, 17:54   #48
Podge_irl

Quote:
Originally Posted by .ak View Post
Really? I always seem to remember him coming here as a fly-half/12/utility back. :/
They may well have been the agenda (and he did end up at 10 for a few disastrous games), but I'm pretty sure the signing was announced as someone to provide cover at 12 and in the back 3. I remember at the time not wanting him in ahead of Sexton so was reassured by that comment and then being disappointed a few weeks later!

Regardless, he definitely wasn't signed solely as a 10.
Thanks from:
02-07-2012, 18:44   #49
CatFromHue

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Jackass] View Post
Of course they were. Contepomi had some Guinness Premiership experience (and was relegated with Bristol, hence his move away to Leinster) and had just made his debut for Argentina, who weren't nearly the team they are now, Nacewa had come from Super14 where he had produced very little and played as a mediocre 10, and was signed as a 10.

At least in that sense that from the player they signed, Contepomi went on to be a world player of the year nominee and Nacewa arguably the best full-back in the world, I didn't hear elation at the quality of the signings when they first joined, it's what they did at Leinster that made them great.
Bristol in 02/03 were all over the place off the field. If I remember right their owner half way through the season said he was pulling out. Without him it looked like the club couldn't survive financially. There were other off the field problems too.

Also by 2003 Contepomi had become a main player for Argentina. I think he got his debut in 1999.

He was a big signing at the time.
02-07-2012, 18:59   #50
WeeBushy

Here's the Leinster announcement from when he was signed.

Quote:
Isa is a top class attacking player whose versatility as either a midfield or back three player makes him a threat as an out and out try scorer, as well as a playmaker in his own right. He will add great depth to our backline for next year and he will also increase our kicking options.
http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/2716.php
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
02-07-2012, 22:10   #51
[Jackass]
Closed Account

Fair enough re them mentioning his outside back potential, but he had played 10 for almost the entire previous season at Auckland and played a lot of rugby at 10 for Leinster in that first season too. Regarding him being a well established player, Clint Newland to put it in perspective had more Super14 time and had played for the Maori, and I think it's fair tosay he was a punt. Berquist, Sykes etc all had more experience, but I'd have called them punts too.

Maybe it's just what you would consider a punt. I would consider it a non-established international quality player. Ollie Le Roux, CJ Van Der Linde, Rocky Elsom, Chris Whitaker, Brad Thorn, Nathan Hines, you know what you're getting. Strauss, Bent, Denton, Quin Roux etc. you're taking a chance on a player who's played top level, but hasn't been a proven success at that level. I'd include Nacewa in that. For every success of a punt like Nacewa, you have the failures of guys like Newland and Sykes imo.

Re Contepomi, just checked and in fairness he did have a good bit of international rugby under his belt, so I'll withdraw that, but at the time I remember being excited by the signing as I saw him play against (and destroy) Leinster in Donnybrook, but I didn't consider him a well regarded and well known international player at the time. Perhaps I was wrong on that one.
02-07-2012, 22:36   #52
WeeBushy

To an extent most SH players are a punt to some degree. Its a completely different style of rugby, different culture, different lifestyle. Some players just suit the NH (e.g. Sykes) while others revel in the different surroundings and improve their reputation
02-07-2012, 22:40   #53
danthefan
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Jackass
;79519891] Nacewa had come from Super14 where he had produced very little and played as a mediocre 10, and was signed as a 10
What a load of rubbish. Just because you didn't know much about him does not mean he had "produced very little". He was extremely highly rated in NZ.
02-07-2012, 23:49   #54
totallegend
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Jackass] View Post
Fair enough re them mentioning his outside back potential, but he had played 10 for almost the entire previous season at Auckland and played a lot of rugby at 10 for Leinster in that first season too. Regarding him being a well established player, Clint Newland to put it in perspective had more Super14 time and had played for the Maori, and I think it's fair tosay he was a punt. Berquist, Sykes etc all had more experience, but I'd have called them punts too.

Maybe it's just what you would consider a punt. I would consider it a non-established international quality player. Ollie Le Roux, CJ Van Der Linde, Rocky Elsom, Chris Whitaker, Brad Thorn, Nathan Hines, you know what you're getting. Strauss, Bent, Denton, Quin Roux etc. you're taking a chance on a player who's played top level, but hasn't been a proven success at that level. I'd include Nacewa in that. For every success of a punt like Nacewa, you have the failures of guys like Newland and Sykes imo.
Sorry Jackass, but you're well off the mark on this one. Nacewa was very highly rated in Super rugby and was not remotely in the Newland/Sykes/Berquist category. He was nominated for New Zealand player of the year just before he came over iirc.
Advertisement
03-07-2012, 09:37   #55
GerM
Closed Account

Nacewa was the fulcrum of the Blues back line during his last 2 seasons there. He was hugely rated and his battle to have his Fijian cap wasn't for fun; he was in line for an NZ cap if he could have managed it. He was one of the classiest players in Super Rugby when he made the switch if not one of the highest profile ones which I'd attribute to his lack of international success.
03-07-2012, 09:38   #56
GerM
Closed Account

SOB's surgery took place yesterday and, according to the man himself, was a success.
03-07-2012, 10:32   #57
bamboozle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatFromHue View Post
Bristol in 02/03 were all over the place off the field. If I remember right their owner half way through the season said he was pulling out. Without him it looked like the club couldn't survive financially. There were other off the field problems too.

Also by 2003 Contepomi had become a main player for Argentina. I think he got his debut in 1999.

He was a big signing at the time.
after the '99 world cup Clontarf appointed Griz Willey coach, he'd just coached argentina and i remember the talk was that contepomi wanted to come to ireland and play rugby while completing his studies in RCofS's. At the time the talk was him to play AIL with clontarf and provincial with Leinster...never happened and he moved to Bristol.
03-07-2012, 10:34   #58
shuffol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerM View Post
SOB's surgery took place yesterday and, according to the man himself, was a success.
Did he perform it himself?
(5) thanks from:
03-07-2012, 10:50   #59
durkadurka

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuffol View Post
Did he perform it himself?
He was too busy wrestling a bull.
(3) thanks from:
03-07-2012, 10:55   #60
Seph503

Quote: