Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson Ariva 150

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 diarmuidie

I tried to update my Ariva 150 to the latest firmware (V1.26B9) all went well but when loading the channel list back in from the editor something went wrong and now I'm getting an ASH error on startup.

I don't have access to a computer with an RS232 port, but I have a second working Ariva 150. I read somewhere that you can flash the rom from the working box the the bricked one directly using an RS232 cable?

Has anyone been able to do this?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

yes you can Tony posted how to a while back

channel lists are the biggest cause of crashs

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭PatchZ

Playing around with the box over the xmas period (happy xmas by the way) and found a problem, again, where I lost most of the channels when recording a saorview channel from a favourite group. I loaded in the original firmware, programmed up a few channels, tried again and it was fine.

The bottom line is that I had taken an old channel list and loaded it into the latest released firmware and this appears to cause problems.

So I've started from scratch again, rescanned astra 2 & saorview and generated a new firmware file with the rescanned channels and no problem with loss of channels while recording. It also has a new ITVbe channel and the new UTVireland channel.

So here is that new firmware if you have the problem. https://www.dropbox.com/s/i682g2e0nhgit3b/Ariva150_126B9.abs?dl=0

It does mean updates of the firmware in future require a rescan (and the addition of some manual TP's) but there you go.

As usual, Ariva 150 only, take precautions copying and loading in the firmware & stop if you get warnings about it being invalid when loading it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Hi guys,

moved into a new house the last day and had this working fine no problem yesterday.

Tried tonight and every single channel I get the "no signal" message. Is there something I may be drastically doing wrong or could the house mate of took a card, or could there be something in the settings which I could adjust for it to work?

Really annoyed as I was all set up to watch all the football tomorrow.

check your connections

sometimes a reboot with the power switch at the back can fix freezes on fergusons

check you have the satellite selected in the set up also

Nowso wrote: »
    check your connections

sometimes a reboot with the power switch at the back can fix freezes on fergusons

check you have the satellite selected in the set up also
    Thanks for that I think everything is okay. At the back there is an Ethernet cable, Hdmi cable and power. Should there be something else?

There is no card in it either could that be the cause?

For every single channel it says no signal and has 0% beside channel, but in settings it has signal 30% and quality 10%.

your dish may have been moved

there should be the satellite cable aswell

or aerial connection for saorview

if you moved house a bit of a distance you may need to rescan for saorview channels as there on different frequencys in different areas

your dish may have been moved

there should be the satellite cable aswell

or aerial connection for saorview

if you moved house a bit of a distance you may need to rescan for saorview channels as there on different frequencys in different areas

Thank you got it sorted I have most channels now.

One issue though bt sports channels say no signal, but I had them too. Is there a way to fix this? Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Finical wrote: »
    Thank you got it sorted I have most channels now.

One issue though bt sports channels say no signal, but I had them too. Is there a way to fix this? Cheers!

What did you do to get back whatever you have? It might help steer us in the right direction!

• Advertisement

do a tune or add the transponder and search that freq changed few months back

Sorted it all out now. Appreciate the help! :D

One last question anyone have the transponder for the setanta's?

12634 22000 h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Quick question re: the Ariva 150 and use of it's LNB Out.

If you have your satellite dish cable to the "LNB In" on the Ariva 150 box, and take a cable from the "LNB Out" on the Ariva 150 and connect this to the "LNB In" on an old Sky box - will the Sky box get the FTA channels?

If so, do both boxes then operate completely independent or is the resulting setup one where what can be viewed on the Sky box (fed from the "LNB Out" of the Ariva) is in some way dependent on what is being viewed on the Ariva? (I gather if you split a LNB Satellite cable and feed two receiver boxes that one becomes a master and one a slave dependent on what transponder the other is tuned to - eh, or something like that :))

Anyhow, any info on the above with this specific box would be much appreciated (I'm trying to decide between the Ariva 150 box and the Walker WP645TS-HD - the Walker hasn't a LNB out, so i'm trying to gauge would the Ariva allow me to continue to use the Sky box without installing a dual/quad LNB on the dish and additional cabling) - hope that all makes sense!

Thanks.

your better of installing a quad lnb whatever . gives you more options as some double and triple tuners use 2 cables

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Agreed, the lnb out is of little value in any receiver

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Gollie

Quickie question:
    My dad hates change, and would rather stick with his stone-age Sky (old non Plus,FTA only, SD only, no RTE) box.
    Currently i've got a Ferguson 252 hooked up to the Saorview, and i've tested it successfully with the Freesat FTA channels successfully.
    I'd rather we moved to 252 fulltime, better media support, HD, features, recording, custom firmware etc. so my plan is to gradually convert him over to the new box over a period of months once he gets used to it.

What's the best method/device for splitting the signal so we can switch back and forth between the two boxes on the one telly?
    (They won't be connecting to any additional TVs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Does the TV not have two inputs? ...... one for each box ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gollie

Does the TV not have two inputs? ...... one for each box ....

Yup - it's got multiple scart and HDMI inputs - it's the satellite cable from the dish that's the issue - i've only got one line - so i was wondering about getting a splitter or something - and looking for feedback from anyone on the pros, cons, and device recommendations

Not really recommended to split a satellite signal as it carries voltage and could damage either box. In the past there were isolating sat switches but i've not seen them in quite a while. Perhaps best with its own thread as this one is specifically for the ariva 150

Gollie wrote: »
    Yup - it's got multiple scart and HDMI inputs - it's the satellite cable from the dish that's the issue - i've only got one line - so i was wondering about getting a splitter or something - and looking for feedback from anyone on the pros, cons, and device recommendations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Gollie wrote: »

Try bringing your sat cable to your Ferguson box.
    Then a short cable from the LNB out of your ferguson connected to the LNB in on your skybox.
    (ive had mixed experiences doing this in the past...it doesnt always work)

Marty.

• Advertisement

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Try bringing your sat cable to your Ferguson box.
    Then a short cable from the LNB out of your ferguson connected to the LNB in on your skybox.
    (ive had mixed experiences doing this in the past...it doesnt always work)

Marty.

It's a waste of time IMO. You can't use both together and you run the risk of damaging both boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Avns1s wrote: »
    You can't use both together and you run the risk of damaging both boxes.

Surely the LNB loopthrough is designed to keep the LNB power supplies of each box isolated from each other?

Trying to use both together would be a bit of a pain though, as the box switched to horizontal polarity &/or high band will win any conflict over LNB control.

Thurston? wrote: »
    Surely the LNB loopthrough is designed to keep the LNB power supplies of each box isolated from each other?

Trying to use both together would be a bit of a pain though, as the box switched to horizontal polarity &/or high band will win any conflict over LNB control.

Several boxes I have seen carry printed warnings stating the box is to be powered down before powering up a box connected to the loop through. And you have the issue of the limited channels as you describe.

It's a much better solution to get a direct cable to the LNB.

It's a much better solution to get a direct cable to the LNB.

Definitely agree it's better to have an independent feed of some kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

Hey Folks,
    Recently (this evening) I received a Ferguson Ariva 150 from the old man that he was using up until yesterday. He said simply hook the coax cable, power and hdmi cables up to their respective ports and I should be ready to go.

I do see the menu screens and the various channel names in the menu bar - but I'm also getting a message of "No Signal".

My previous system was/is UPC the non cable type, I have a wee antenna on the roof.
    1) will I be able to use the Ferguson 150 with that antenna
    and if so
    2)Can someone point me in the direction of some instructions for the setup.. I did have a look through the settings but I havent a clue.

Thanks!

Dow99 wrote: »
    Hey Folks,
    Recently (this evening) I received a Ferguson Ariva 150 from the old man that he was using up until yesterday. He said simply hook the coax cable, power and hdmi cables up to their respective ports and I should be ready to go.

I do see the menu screens and the various channel names in the menu bar - but I'm also getting a message of "No Signal".

My previous system was/is UPC the non cable type, I have a wee antenna on the roof.
    and if so
    2)Can someone point me in the direction of some instructions for the setup.. I did have a look through the settings but I havent a clue.

Thanks!

The UPC Aerial wont work. You will have to get a proper UHF aerial for the Saorview channels and connect it to the Coax Input.
    You will also have to connect the box to your satellite dish for the satellite channels using the F connector input.

To set up the Saorview Channels:

Automatic Scan
    1. Press menu on your digital receiver remote control

2. Press the right or left arrow button to go to the Installation list, press OK & go down to Terrestrial Automatic Scan & press OK

3. Select Country “Ireland” on the top line, and Select “No” for FTA Only.

4. Scroll down to Search and press OK.

5. All Muxes should be scanned and all channels should appear in the DVB-T channel list from where you can reorder them. (See page 34 of the user manual for “How to Move a Channel”.

To set up the Satellite channels:

1. Press menu on your digital receiver remote control

2. Press the right or left arrow button to go to the Installation list, press OK & go down to Single Satellite Search and press OK.

3. Select the Satellite (I find Eurobird works best for the Sky channels)

4. Select "YES" for FTA Only.

5. Select "Blind Scan" for Scan Mode.

6. Move down to Search and Press OK

All free channels should now be scanned in.

Recently (this evening) I received a Ferguson Ariva 150

... My previous system was/is UPC the non cable type, I have a wee antenna on the roof.

No, neither Saorview or free-to-air satellite can be received using the MMDS antenna.

You will need a UHF TV aerial (correct type for your location & signal conditions) & a suitable satellite dish aligned on the satellites at 28 degrees east (same as used by Sky).

Thanks Anvs1s - that explains it.

So as I do not have a satellite (I currently receive the "Satellite" stations via the UPC antenna) does this mean the best I can achieve is the Saorview channels once I get a UHF aerial?

Thurston? wrote: »
    No, neither Saorview or free-to-air satellite can be received using the MMDS antenna.

You will need a UHF TV aerial (correct type for your location & signal conditions) & a suitable satellite dish aligned on the satellites at 28 degrees east (same as used by Sky).

I'm outta luck then,, DAMN UPC!!!

Thanks for the quick info guys!!

Thanks Anvs1s - that explains it.

So as I do not have a satellite (I currently receive the "Satellite" stations via the UPC antenna) does this mean the best I can achieve is the Saorview channels once I get a UHF aerial?

That's pretty much it I'm afraid. Is installing a satellite dish an option for you?

• Advertisement

That's pretty much it I'm afraid. Is installing a satellite dish an option for you?

I was kind of expecting a plug & play setup, so it's not something I had considered until now, but I will look into it.

Depends where you are, although most UPC areas will be out of range of UK terrestrial transmissions, certainly without a pretty hefty aerial installation, that would need as much if not more installation expertise than the satellite dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BigBobE

not me but there are extra features on the patched version , not that i can talk much about it on the forum

i upgraded to the patched version you have linked to. would you able to PM a link to an irish channel list by anychance, just having a bit of hassle getting it ALL set up correctly or even a how to.

i havnt a channel list

do a blind search on astra 2 or eurobird and you should find them all

or just add the setanta and bt sports transponders and search them then

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BigBobE

Grand just tried that... I'll just sort all the channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Rather than start a new thread, I've a 153.
    I just downloaded the latest firmware from the ferguson site.
    First does anyone know if it's worth upgrading to this?
    Second, if I backup just my channel list, then upgrade the firmware, will it still then accept the channel list saved from the old firmware?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭PatchZ

sin0city wrote: »
    Rather than start a new thread, I've a 153.
    I just downloaded the latest firmware from the ferguson site.
    First does anyone know if it's worth upgrading to this?
    Second, if I backup just my channel list, then upgrade the firmware, will it still then accept the channel list saved from the old firmware?

Hi,

First off, haven't used the 153 but similar to the 150 I'd guess.

What firmware do you have at the moment? Hard to know exactly what has changed recently but I think the last firmware fixed a channel loss issue. But you may not have that issue and if you are using something recent then maybe not worth the risk of an upgrade. If you have an older version then well worth the effort.

And I used to backup my channel list and load it into the new firmware until, on the last version, it caused me serious problems so I wouldn't recommend it. The downside to that is the time required to rescan and organise the channels but maybe you can get a channel list from someone in another thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭mobby

Have a problem with a 153 that was installed over a week ago. I am not getting any signal from the Loop out to a 2nd saorview box I have in another room. this is through some cable that was already in place and was working when I had UPC. I have tried connecting the box directly from the aerial in feed at the combi box and it picked up the saorview channels. but if I connect to the loop out it finds no channels. is there something I need to configure on the box, anyone assist?

Is the 153 on when you are testing ?

mobby wrote: »
    Have a problem with a 153 that was installed over a week ago. I am not getting any signal from the Loop out to a 2nd saorview box I have in another room. this is through some cable that was already in place and was working when I had UPC. I have tried connecting the box directly from the aerial in feed at the combi box and it picked up the saorview channels. but if I connect to the loop out it finds no channels. is there something I need to configure on the box, anyone assist?

• Advertisement

its on standby mode red light on front of box.

its on standby mode red light on front of box.

It should work when the box is switched on.

Also, if you go to menu > System Setup > Other and turn "Clock in Standby" to ON, then it should work all the time.

Also, if you go to menu > System Setup > Other and turn "Clock in Standby" to ON, then it should work all the time.

Thanks, will give that a try tonight.

PatchZ wrote: »
    Hi,

First off, haven't used the 153 but similar to the 150 I'd guess.

What firmware do you have at the moment? Hard to know exactly what has changed recently but I think the last firmware fixed a channel loss issue. But you may not have that issue and if you are using something recent then maybe not worth the risk of an upgrade. If you have an older version then well worth the effort.

And I used to backup my channel list and load it into the new firmware until, on the last version, it caused me serious problems so I wouldn't recommend it. The downside to that is the time required to rescan and organise the channels but maybe you can get a channel list from someone in another thread?

I only got it a week or so ago. I can't check at the moment but I think it's something like 1.27B6 and the one on the Ferguson site is 1.28B8.

http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/download/HD-Satellite-Receivers/Ariva-153-Combo/ (Translation of description is latest software version)

I upgraded to it anyway but there were no channels so I take it you always have to rescan satellite and terrestial when you upgrade software?

It wouldn't accept the old channel list so I reinstalled the older firmware with the channel list. I don't fancy sorting all the channels again unless there are major improvements with the new software so I think I'll just see how I go for a while.

Really like the box so far though, great picture, lots of option in the menu, the media player is decent and little things like being able to record a paused segment so you can switch channel without losing it.

Just one other question, Rte +1 seems to have stopped working. (I know it's only on from 7pm) There are 2 scanned in but neither work. The PID (new to this and don't know what that is) is different from the other channels though. The rest go something like 8970/8146/8190 but for Rte +1 it's 0/no audio/8190. Any ideas?

Try deleting them and scan again after 7pm

Just one other question, Rte +1 seems to have stopped working. (I know it's only on from 7pm) There are 2 scanned in but neither work. The PID (new to this and don't know what that is) is different from the other channels though. The rest go something like 8970/8146/8190 but for Rte +1 it's 0/no audio/8190. Any ideas?

Tony wrote: »
    Try deleting them and scan again after 7pm

Terrestrial automatic scan?
    And do you have to scan all of them or can you scan for an individual channel?

• Advertisement

Manual probably quicker, if you hit the white button while on RTE1+1 it should give you the freq/ch number so you can just do a manual scan . Automatic will work two but if you are in range of two transmitters it might download both. You can check your optimal transmitter using the coverage checker on saorview.ie

Terrestrial automatic scan?
    And do you have to scan all of them or can you scan for an individual channel?

This worked sort of.. I presume its not possible to have the two box's working at the same time as when I switch on the Ariva the signal goes on the other saorview (Thomson THT504).Also note that RTE1 and UTV are unwatchable break up of signal loss of sound etc. TV3,TG4 RTE one News work ok

I'd say you have some other issues going on if you have picture breakup

This worked sort of.. I presume its not possible to have the two box's working at the same time as when I switch on the Ariva the signal goes on the other saorview (Thomson THT504).Also note that RTE1 and UTV are unwatchable break up of signal loss of sound etc. TV3,TG4 RTE one News work ok

Tony wrote: »
    I'd say you have some other issues going on if you have picture breakup

Agreed. I'd be looking at the setup on cabling and splitters etc, and whether or not the Ariva 150 is sending out the low voltage on the Terrestrial cable to power an amplifier.

Been looking more in depth at the channel list on the 153 model and it now has a "groups" option rather than the old "all channels" "astra 1" etc So even when the list says "all channels" at the top you may still need to select "all" from the drop down list that appears when you hit the yellow "groups" button on the remote.

Does anyone think we should start a new thread for the 153 to avoid confusion ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement