Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clamped!

Options
  • 19-06-2012 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

I have been clamped in Naas by NCPS.

Feel screwed as was only gone up to the bank up the street to get money out and came back with change then to buy a ticket, but was clamped by then time I got back circa 20mins later.

I haven't got the money to pay it as I am a student, and currently searching for a Job.
    Add to this that my parents are not in a position to pay it for me.

Mind you even if I had the money I don't think I would give it to the Vultures :mad:

So I plan on removing the clamp but want to ask what have people found to be the best way to do this?

I'm thinking angle grinder?

I have a friend who disassembled his suspension on his Van to get one off, took a few hours though :/

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Do a quick forum search, there has been a few threads done on this already

As can been seen in this thread, a good bolt cutters will slice thorugh the lock in a few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Bolt cutters. Go rent one from a tool hire. Job done. Angle grinder will work too. Throw it in your boot and leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

What car ya got op?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

As can been seen in this thread, a good bolt cutters will slice thorugh the lock in a few mins.

The Lock looks chunky enough and has wrtiting on it saying "anti-cut" or something... But that might mean feck all..
    What car ya got op?

3 Door Peugeot 207.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you have no gripe and no excuse to cut off the clamp. Sounds like you were clamped fair and square to me if you parked for 20 minutes where you shouldnt have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Travellers van's generally tend have bolt cutters inside so if you see one stop and ask for their help, Should be cheaper than paying those vultures anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I'm assuming that we're allowed to advise given that the thread is there from months ago.

Before cutting the lock buy a new lock as similar as possible to the original. This covers you in case anyone arrives during the job. When you remove their property from your vehicle call them and inform that one of their clamps was attached to your wheel, it is not removed and would they like you to leave it where you found it or should you leave it at the nearest Garda station lost and found for safe keeping.

Take many photos before and after, this will not just satisfy us but will also satisfy a judge that you did not damage their property.

If the company calls the Gardaí show that you have purchased a new lock and that you are willing to give your name and address for further correspondence and that you believe it to be a civil matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

k75000.jpg

corktina wrote: »
    you have no gripe and no excuse to cut off the clamp. Sounds like you were clamped fair and square to me if you parked for 20 minutes where you shouldnt have.

Rubbish I went to the bank to get money out.

How is it "fair and square" to clamp a car and charge an extortionate amount of money to release it? I went back to buy the ticket as soon as I could.

• Advertisement

To be fair its up to them to facilitate payment. If they didn't allow payment by text he had no option but to run to a bank machine and withdraw money, since all available spaces were pay parking he had no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭kirving

Whether he dererved to be clamped or not doesn't change the fact that it's illegal to interfere with a vehicle. Cut it off OP.

Just like the have no legal right to clamp, unless they are under contract with the council.

I bet if it was a garda car parked there, it wouldn't be clamped.

Anyway, thats another entire different thread (and has been done to death).

OP, yeah don't worry about that anti-cut crap. Get a good bolt cutters. It will take a good bit of force, but it will come off.

I like the idea of asking travellers to remove it, after all, you are only paying NCPS a removal fee, if you pay someone else to remove it, they can do nothing to you. And the travellers will take the clamp for scrap. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

God Father wrote: »
    Rubbish I went to the bank to get money out.

How is it "fair and square" to clamp a car and charge an extortionate amount of money to release it? I went back to buy the ticket as soon as I could.

its not rubbish. If you have to pay to park there, then you have to pay. How were NCPS to know you were gone 20 minutes for change? Best to get the chancge and THEN park.

its not rubbish. If you have to pay to park there, then you have to pay. How were NCPS to know you were gone 20 minutes for change? Best to get the chancge and THEN park.
    How is it possible to get the change without parking?

Just like the have no legal right to clamp, unless they are under contract with the council.

I bet if it was a garda car parked there, it wouldn't be clamped.

Anyway, thats another entire different thread (and has been done to death).

OP, yeah don't worry about that anti-cut crap. Get a good bolt cutters. It will take a good bit of force, but it will come off.

I like the idea of asking travellers to remove it, after all, you are only paying NCPS a removal fee, if you pay someone else to remove it, they can do nothing to you. And the travellers will take the clamp for scrap. :)

A few PSNI cars have been clamped up north.
    Few photos from England: http://www.google.co.uk/search?sugexp=chrome,mod%3D10&q=cop+car+clamped&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=qbvgT470FOTT0QXk8MSIDQ&biw=1280&bih=699&sei=q7vgT4PaKo6T0QXeteSiDQ#um=1&hl=en&safe=off&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=cop+car+clamped&oq=cop+car+clamped&aq=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_l=img.3...6302.8755.4.9014.9.8.0.0.0.1.124.689.7j1.8.0.cish.1.0.0.94lRyPxdGtY&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=4bd142cdab79878a&biw=1280&bih=699

Emergency vehicles are a guaranteed immediate payout!

The Lock looks chunky enough and has wrtiting on it saying "anti-cut" or something... But that might mean feck all..

Anti cut? lol..

Angle grinders, 20 seconds max. And if its a magical ant cut lock, the chain sure as hell isn't.

He would be in ever more trouble for stopping in the middle of a road or for parking on the kerb!

Probably resistant to manual lock cutters. Angle grinder should do it.

Thats probably because there is law about clamping in UK, I think.

Over here, there isn't. Therefore, if a garda car was clamped, and Guard could instruct the clamper to remove the clamp or face the possibility of a charge under section 9 Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 (and other legislation, I think).

• Advertisement

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3pru3c/

:rolleyes:

Probably resistant to manual lock cutters. Angle grinder should do it.

There is not many locks that will withstand a decent a 42'' bolt cutter espicaially using the ground as leverage.. Extra thick boron steel ones will cause problems but will still cut.
    yale-brass-padlock-boron-steel-shackle-1205-02-mhzz@3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

20mins to take cash out at an ATM, get change and get back to the car?

Red 08 one? Just drive passed and saw it. Wanna try take it off??

Heroditas wrote: »
    20mins to take cash out at an ATM, get change and get back to the car?

No cash from a teller in the bank, up the other end of the highstreet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CliM

Naas is a disaster to park in. I got clamped there last week-I had ticket on car until six. I came back late due to the torrential rain, i had stood in out of it. Gt back at 6.26 clamp on car. I paid it 90 e plus 5 e card charge, feeling the pain ever since. Can't really afford it but needed to get home. If I was to get clamped there again I would cut it off!! Total cowboy system

That's the one ;) Going to take it off alright, just need to source some bolt cutters. Have a guy in mind that might have some. Going to call him now.

BX 19 wrote: »
    There is not many locks that will withstand a decent a 42'' bolt cutter espicaially using the ground as leverage.. Extra thick boron steel ones will cause problems but will still cut.
    And if a bolt cutters can't, for some bizarre reason, get through the lock, pay around €30 to a tool hire and, as mentioned earlier, get a con saw.

Will slice through any steel a clamper would use in literally seconds...

That's the one ;) Going to take it off alright, just need to source some bolt cutters. Have a guy in mind that might have some. Going to call him now.
    Iv handed 3 clamps back to that fella, took em off without damaging them. Cracks me up every time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Where abouts you parked? If youre on main street then the clampers may be acting on behalf of the council which I believe is generally considered a no-no to try take the clamp off as they have the law behind them.

Advertisement