Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aztec alarm

Options
  • 30-05-2012 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I have a fault occuring every once and a while.were my alarm is not set but goes off. It sounds strange but seems to go off on Sunny days between 10 and 11. My panel says 17 call engineer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Are you sure it says 17?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'd say it's 77.
    What displays after you disarm the system after an activation?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,657 ✭✭✭✭altor

robs1 wrote: »
    I have a fault occuring every once and a while.were my alarm is not set but goes off. It sounds strange but seems to go off on Sunny days between 10 and 11. My panel says 17 call engineer

17 indicates a faulty sensor on a loop.
    If it is going off like you say it may be an environment issue.
    Any PIRs facing a window or getting a glare at this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭robs1

When it goes off it comes up on the panel zone 3 and then flashes up sensor contact panic. the only pir i have is in the hall and is well shaded. somone said to me it could be the end of line resistor going and with the sun shining on it causing this problem. i have never heard of thus before. yes its 17 showing

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Sounds like a very bad connection on zone 3 possibly the EOL resistor is not tight.
    Sensor refers to shock sensors and not the PiR.

• Advertisement

When it goes off it comes up on the panel zone 3 and then flashes up sensor contact panic. the only pir i have is in the hall and is well shaded. somone said to me it could be the end of line resistor going and with the sun shining on it causing this problem. i have never heard of thus before. yes its 17 showing

If it is showing 17 and not saying anything to do with the end of line resistor then it may be a faulty device or two on this zone.
    The only way to check this is with a multimeter.

How should i check with a multimeter. do i disconnect each device

Disconnect the zone from the panel & remove any end of line resistors,
    Set you meter to continuity and connect the pair to the 2 meter leads.
    on a lenght of cable long enough to reach all your windows on zone 3.
    Make a note of the reading in ohms. One by one tap evey sensor & open and close every contact. After a tap or an open close the resistence should return to the around the same value. If it does not disconnect that device , close of the pair wired into it & move on. Replace any that you had to close off.

How should i check with a multimeter. do i disconnect each device

You could if you wanted to do it that way. Just remove the resistor to close off the end of the zone and do the same in the control panel. Another option if you can get someone to give you a hand is to just get them to stay at the control panel with the meter with resistor taken out of the end of line. Set the meter to 200 ohms. The reading should be 0. Now go around taping each sensor, any sensor that does not return the meter to this value after you tapping or opening the contact, take out of the loop and move on. Replace any you find faulty. If the value is already higher than 0 then see which sensor you tap or open the contact on that returns this to 0. Take it out of the loop and check all the sensors again.

If you are metering out the entire zone from the panel the reading will be higher than zero. An average 3-4 windows could read around 5 ohms or more depending on the length of the cable. If its excessively high to start with close off each sensor one by one to see which brings it back down.
    Then test the other sensors by tapping each one a few times & check if the value returns to the same level. Ignore percentages of one ohm in the difference. eg 5.1ohms to 5.3ohms or 5.4ohms wouldn't warrant changing the device.

• Advertisement

Are you checking this on continuity or ohms :confused:

That's great lads ill give that a crack tomorrow

That's great lads ill give that a crack tomorrow

Your welcome, any problem let us know.

altor wrote: »
    Are you checking this on continuity or ohms :confused:
    Ohms of course
    Set the meter to 200 ohms..

Must of being lucky over years: Always get 0 unless there is a faulty device and that would be with 8 or less devices, sometimes even more.

Must of being lucky over years: Always get 0 unless there is a faulty device and that would be with 8 or less devices, sometimes even more.

You should almost never have zero. There's always some resistence.

You say almost?
    If there is a fault then yes there would be a higher resistance.

Yes, almost. Depending on the gauge of the cable, the bigger the gauge the less resistance. With a pair of seven strand alarm cable there's relatively high resistance over a small distance.

Yes, almost. Depending on the gauge of the cable, the bigger the gauge the less resistance. With a pair of seven strand alarm cable there's relatively high resistance over a small distance.

Never came across this but will keep it in mind.

Even a perfect run with one perfect sensor an average cable run in a normal house will show a couple of ohms. Connecting directly to a perfect sensor you may get closer to zero.

• Advertisement

Never came across this but will keep it in mind.

How do you test for a faulty sensor on a zone? Just curious, we might be talking about two different things.

How do you test for a faulty sensor on a zone? Just curious, we might be talking about two different things.

I set my meter on 200 ohms to test the devices.

By connecting the meter to the entire zone at the panel?

KoolKid wrote: »
    By connecting the meter to the entire zone at the panel?

Disconnected from the panel, yes.

Just to be sure I'm getting this right. You take out the EOL(S) and then connect the cables at the panel to your meter & get a reading for the whole zone?
    If your doing that the reading would never be zero.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Just to be sure I'm getting this right. You take out the EOL(S) and then connect the cables at the panel to your meter & get a reading for the whole zone?
    If your doing that the reading would never be zero.

Really???
    Are you trying to say I lie?
    Here we go again....

Any engineer will tell you any length of cable with any number of devices will have some resistance on the cable. An average upstairs of a house with 5 or 6 windows on a loop would be 4 or 5 ohms for example.
    Zero ohms would be a direct short on a meter or so of cable.

I am an engineer. I am telling you what I am getting on 200 ohms.

• Advertisement

By the way alarm cable would probably be around gauge 22.

Advertisement