Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #33 That_Guy

Options
  • 21-05-2012 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭

Here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is That_Guy.

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed.
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

If you would like to take part in this and you're not already on the list, please post Here and I'll add you to the queue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

What's your favourite album artwork?
    Do you buy music online as a digital download or buy cd's from a bricks & mortar store?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What has been your favourite album out in 2011?
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

Do you play an instrument? If so why did you start to play it, who influenced you to start and who inspires you today?

If you dont play, what would you like to be able to play and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

If Newcastle United were a rock/metal band, who would they be and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

lord lucan wrote: »
    What's your favourite album artwork?

Tough one but I rather like the artwork for Bleeding Through's "The Truth" album.

0.jpg

The booklet also contains some cool photoshops of each band member disfigured in some way.
    Do you buy music online as a digital download or buy cd's from a bricks & mortar store?

I mostly buy online as I've no space in my room for CD's. I haven't bought a physical copy of an album in ages.
    Denny M wrote: »
    What has been your favourite album out in 2011?

There was a few for me. Machine Head's latest took a while to get to grips with but found myself constantly playing it after a while but I quite enjoyed Unearth's latest, 'Darkness Into Light'.
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)

I'll probably get slated for this but Slayer... They have an outstanding selection of tunes no doubt but I really can't stand to listen to them anymore. I think there's far better thrash bands out there imo.

Also the Red Hot Chili Peppers.... Just.. Ugh...
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?

Mostly a few private forums, soccer, American football and The Gentleman's Club.
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?

I don't really have a preference for either. I guess it depends on my mood. My favourite sub genre would be metalcore though. I'm an absolute sucker for a good breakdown.
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?

I know you said metal but I'm gonna include a few musicians who are in rock bands... Serj Tanken (I'd say he'd be quality to have on a session), Tommy Lee (just for drum tips), King Diamond (would add a bit of vibrancy I'd imagine), Bruce Dickinson (designated driver... in his plane of course) and Jamey Jasta (think that's how you spell his name... He'd be good to have as back up for a fight.)
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?

Chimaira, Hatebreed, August Burns Red with headliners Children Of Bodom.
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?

I wouldn't be a massive thrash metal fan really. Metallica are the one's I most listen to so I'll say them with Megadeth a close second.
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

Initially it was 'The Locust' by Machine Head. I like it for what it is and it grew on me but because 'The Blackening' was so good, I expected more than I probably should have from their latest offering.
    Do you play an instrument? If so why did you start to play it, who influenced you to start and who inspires you today?

I play drums. Joey Jordison initially got me quite interested in drums. His technique is just so good and I figured I'd love to be able to play that. As time went on I got myself more and more into various different genres. I suppose my main inspiration to date would be Matt Greiener. He's the drummer for August Burns Red and is someone I'd like to emulate... well in technique anyway. The Rev from Avenged Sevenfold (RIP) would have been a big influence recently too.

Kess73 wrote: »
    If Newcastle United were a rock/metal band, who would they be and why?
    [/quote]

They would be The Who. Few good tunes and everything seems like it's working well until the drummer (Mike Ashley) decides to blow it all up leaving everyone else a bit shell shocked.
    Malice wrote: »
    What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?

A mate of mine in primary school gave me a lend of a Limp Bizkit album and a Linkin Park album and I instantly got hooked on them. Moreso Limp Bizkit. Their music is ok but lyrically awful. From there I started to get into heavier and heavier things. Slipknot were starting to make it big, likewise System Of A Down.

When we got Sky in, the music channels were playing Soulfly and that's when it really took off and I started listening to heavier and heavier things.

Truth be known I haven't really taken the time to check out new bands because it's all very similar especially when you listen to as much metalcore as I do. I just don't really have the time and I'm more partial to familiarity with the bands I already know.
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?

I found it through a friend who used to be on boards.
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?

I lurk moreso than post really but it's good to keep up with new album releases and gigs that wouldn't really be advertised a whole lot.
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?

I do DJing, play football (badly), watch football and I can be found in the cinema an awful lot. God bless the Cineworld unlimited card.
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?

'3' by Soulfly. I loved everything about it and it's where I then found out about Sepultura and was shown the way into some heavier stuff and really paved the way to my listening habits.
    Where did your username come from?

I honestly have no idea. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

You've mentioned you play drums, but if you could play any instrument at all instantly what would it be and why?

Do you listen to any other music outside of rock/metal?

Any albums by well known bands you feel are underrated?

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    You've mentioned you play drums, but if you could play any instrument at all instantly what would it be and why?

I've always had a soft spot for piano. I like elements of jazz piano and some classical but I remember listening to 'Hate Crew Deathroll' by Children Of Bodom and it blew me away. Superb keyboard playing. Likewise with The Doors too.
    Do you listen to any other music outside of rock/metal?

I listen to absolutely everything and anything. I DJ so my music taste has become quite varied. Not big into top 40 tunes but I quite like finding good club mixes of them as they're usually better than the original.
    Any albums by well known bands you feel are underrated?

Not so much under rated as such but I think more people should listen to 'From Beale Street To Oblivion' by Clutch. One of the best rock albums I've heard in a while.

Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    Do you dress like a metalhead?
    What was the last album that you bought?
    Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?
    What was your favourite gig this year?
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?
    What in your opinion is the best debut album of all time
    If you could erase one band from existence, who would it be?

Who's the most famous musician you've met?

Met Linkin Park before in the RDS twice.
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?

I'd be quite a big fan of Chimaira but I don't like the way the drummer Andols Herrick would constantly leave and come back to the band. Just make up your bloody mind so they can get some continuity.
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?

I'm torn between two.

Marta Peterson (Bleeding Through)

MartaP.jpg

and

Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy)

Angelamerkellol.jpg
    Do you dress like a metalhead?

I used to but not anymore. In fact people are often taken aback when I mention that I like metal because "I dress normally" :rolleyes:
    What was the last album that you bought?

I haven't actually bought an album in ages. I usually download my music. I did purchase an album via iTunes with a voucher I got as a present. It was 'The Fire' by Senses Fail.
    Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?

I don't really like black metal. I like a few songs from a few bands but I just cannot listen to large amounts of it. Does my head in. Same goes for death metal really. I like death-core like bands such as 'All Shall Perish' and 'Despised Icon' but full on death metal just doesn't really do it for me.
    What was your favourite gig this year?

I've only been to one and I had never heard of them before. I managed to get a free pass because a mate of mine was doing photography for it. Enslaved in the button factory. Not bad but not really my thing.
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?

I'm very much looking forward to Lamb Of God. Still waiting to hear back on a potential ticket for Machine Head too. Gojira/Mastodon should be a good one too but haven't gotten around to getting a ticket yet.
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?

I used to when I was playing in a band but I'd still look out for new material by 'Red Enemy', 'Mass Extinction' and a former band mate's new band 'Guttrench'.
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?

I have a favourite band (Brand New) but they'd be more alternative (not sure what that even means tbh) but metal band wise.... Mmmm. That's a tough one. There's so many superb bands I love. At the moment I'm listening to a lot of August Burns Red. I kinda go through phases of listening to one band and their entire back catalogue. I wouldn't really have a specific favourite when it comes to metal.
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?

I suppose the discussion element when it's a good light hearted debate about various bands/musicians is what I love most about the metal scene. Pantera v Metallica seems to come up a lot. On the flip side dick heads that judge you for not dressing like a metal head or for liking a band that they deem, "not metal enough". I like what I like. I don't need some douche bag giving out to me because I'm not metal enough because I don't think Slayer are all they're made out to be.
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?

Bring Me The Horizon... Seriously. Just.. ugh.
    What in your opinion is the best debut album of all time

Best debut album... that is a tough one. There's been a few but Metallica's 'Kill 'em All' is a superb album from start to finish. I quite enjoyed 'The Stings Of Conscience' by Unearth but that's more of a personal thing.

[quote[If you could erase one band from existence, who would it be?[/QUOTE]

Slayer... I think the world would be a much better place. :pac:

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    If you could erase one band from existence, who would it be?

Slayer... I think the world would be a much better place. :pac:
    Without wanting to open a whole can of worms, what don't you like about Slayer? I'm not particularly a fan of their myself but at the same time I can acknowledge their influence over many others. I suppose I'm curious why they came to mind rather than the aforementioned Bring Me The Horizon for example.

Without wanting to open a whole can of worms, what don't you like about Slayer? I'm not particularly a fan of their myself but at the same time I can acknowledge their influence over many others. I suppose I'm curious why they came to mind rather than the aforementioned Bring Me The Horizon for example.

I like a selection of Slayer songs but I guess it's moreso a section of their idiot fan base I've encountered over the years that made me go off them.

"If you don't like (in some cases worship) Slayer, you're not a true metal fan"

I'm not particularly fond of that whammy bar solo noise shíte either. It works for certain tunes but when it's done an awful lot of the time it's just overkill.

EDIT: Bring Me The Horizon would be a close second though I don't really encounter many of their fans as much as I would Slayer fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

That_Guy wrote: »
    I like a selection of Slayer songs but I guess it's moreso a section of their idiot fan base I've encountered over the years that made me go off them.

"If you don't like (in some cases worship) Slayer, you're not a true metal fan"

I'm not particularly fond of that whammy bar solo noise shíte either. It works for certain tunes but when it's done an awful lot of the time it's just overkill.

EDIT: Bring Me The Horizon would be a close second though I don't really encounter many of their fans as much as I would Slayer fans.

I would consider myself in that bracket also!

Any more questions there folks?

Any more questions there folks?

Should I answer this? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

What song make the hairs stand on end and gives you goosebumps every time you hear it?

lord lucan wrote: »
    What song make the hairs stand on end and gives you goosebumps every time you hear it?

It's a pity it's not longer but this song always gives me goosebumps. I do a lot of running and this is always the first song I listen to, to get me motivated.

"Never waiver, never falter... Remain die hard" -- That's the bit that always gets me.

Thanks to everyone that posted questions and to That_Guy for answering them. The next installment of In The Pit is here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement