Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #34 - D.Q

Options
  • 04-06-2012 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is DieselQueenD.Q.

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed.
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

If you would like to take part in this and you're not already on the list, please post here and I'll add you to the queue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What has been your favourite album out in 2011?
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Do you play any instruments? And which instrument would you love to be able to instantly pick up and play?

Do you listen to any genres outside of rock and metal?

Underrated albums by well known bands?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

What's been the best gig you've ever been to?
    Do you buy your music online or buy cd's/vinyl from a regular shop?
    What's your favourite album artwork?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?

Always watched wrestling when I was younger, and rock and metal was a big part of their shows in the late 90s early 00s. So I was into the likes of limp bizkit, linkin park, nirvana etc. The usual first bands people listen to. Moved on to Iron Maiden then, listened to Rock in Rio religiously for about 2 years. Graduated to Metallica then and didnt look back. My all time favourite band. Still get chills listening to ecstasy of gold.

no other music comes close to giving me the feeling that metal does. When a band kicks into a filthy riff you cant help but react. Live shows are a big part of it, love seeing the effect metal has on a crowd of fans. No other music comes close, people just losing their minds in mosh pits etc, but without any real violence or malice in it.
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?

Joined up for the leaving cert in 2008, soon noticed the Pro Wrestling section, followed by the rock and metal forum. Two of my favourite things in life, PW and Rock and Metal are by far my most frequented forums on boards.

What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    Very handy for news and that. The metallica superthread makes for interesting reading!
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    Work in a shop and currently studying computer science in college!
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Tough call. A toss up between Master of Puppets and Crack the Skye. Puppets opened my eyes to what metal can be,bone curushing power and melody wrapped up in fantastic songwriting.

Crack the Skye was just so ambitious and layered, that as a guitar player, it really inspired me as far as the scope of my songs go.
    Where did your username come from?
    Used to be in a band called Diesel Queen back in 2008. So that was my name for a while. Changed it to DQ when I registered a while back. Got sick of people mistaking me for a lady!

***shameless plug***

great fun!

• Advertisement

if you want to let someone go ahead of me til next week actually, I wont be on this for a week.

Ironically have a very metal reason for not being around! Heading off to Download for the weekend!

Sorry about this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Question for when you come back: Which band impressed you most at Download?

D.Q wrote: »
    if you want to let someone go ahead of me til next week actually, I wont be on this for a week.

Ironically have a very metal reason for not being around! Heading off to Download for the weekend!

Sorry about this!
    I missed this post altogether. So, now that you're back, what was Download like?

****ing muddy man! But I survived! I'll get to answering the questions now if thats ok!

What has been your favourite album out in 2011?

I'm assuming this is is an old question, and relates to 2012 instead of 2011!?:)

in 2012, it would probably be Eulogy for the Damned by Orange Goblin, riff after riff. Gutted I missed them in dublin
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)

I really cant stand whitechapel. Hate the vocals and just dont get it.
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?

I would use Pro Wrestling alot. The cool vids and pics is good for a laugh and every so often I will look, but not post, never post, in soccer.

Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?

Probably right down the middle with regards to this. My favourite bands would be Clutch, Mastodon, Metallica, Guns n Roses.
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?

Lemmy
    Ozzy
    Slash
    Brent Hinds
    James Hetfield (20 years ago)

What would be the lineup of your dream gig?

Black Sabbath
    Metallica
    Alice in Chains
    Mastodon
    Clutch
    Kyuss

Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?

Metallica by a mile. Megadeth second. Don't rate the other two at all.
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

I'd have to say the new Lamb of God album. They were getting better and better up until Wrath. But the new one was really let down with production. Just thought the levels were all over the place. A shame for me as I really felt they were about to take the next step.

• Advertisement

I'm assuming this is is an old question, and relates to 2012 instead of 2011!?:)
    Oops. :o

So, why haven't you graced the album of the week voting thread in a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

I'd have to say the new Lamb of God album. They were getting better and better up until Wrath. But the new one was really let down with production. Just thought the levels were all over the place. A shame for me as I really felt they were about to take the next step.

Really?
    That's mad! I never really picked up on the production issues, I'll have to listen closely next time. I think with this album they tried to push the boundaries a little and add a little prog-ness, albeit not totally radical, but the song The Number Six is definitely proggy imo!

Here's one for the thread.
    Do you look/dress like a rocker/metaler?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Did it crush your soul, as it did mine, when the Undertaker became 'the American Bad Ass' with new theme music - Kid Rock taking a massive **** on 'Sad But True'?

Do you play any instruments? And which instrument would you love to be able to instantly pick up and play?

Yep I play guitar, or try to. Been playing for about 5 years now. Love it. Trying to get myself an SG, but trading a Zakk Wylde les paul is proving difficult. Very niche marked it seems.
    Do you listen to any genres outside of rock and metal?

I'd listen to anything really. Have a soft spot for a bit of rap, and even the right dance song can strike a chord with me
    Underrated albums by well known bands?
    hmmm.. I think St.Anger is wrongly slated and MUCH preferred it to Death Magnetic, same applies to the Load/Reload albums.

A matter of life and death from Maiden was also excellent throughout.

I didnt think Black gives way to Blue got enough credit.

Cill94 wrote: »
    Question for when you come back: Which band impressed you most at Download?

There were a few. Honourable mentions to:

Slash was absolutely perfect for the Friday night. Myles is an incredible singer and they put on a really good, polished rock show, few gnr classics in the mix.

Steel Panther were great on the saturday. Managed to find a security guard handing out snakepit passes so i got really close for them. They are great craic on stage, and have some good singalong tracks. Standout moment was when they brought out Corey Taylor for death to all but metal.

Skindred really impressed me, hadnt listened to them before. Really enjoyable.

Killswitch Engage with Jesse back in the fold were brilliant. Really forgot about the great songs that this band has. And Jesse really suits the band, more so than Howard, IMO.

Metallica: seen them a few times now, still as good as ever.

Soundgarden: Obviously incredible. Played beyond the wheel... Cornell nailed it, enough said.

Sooo in second place, I would have to say, Lamb of God. Absolutely ripped mainstage a new arsehole on the sunday. Band were on top form. You can really see how they have grown as a band, and they really deserved the 4th from top slot. Think its time for them to step up, and either headline or sub headline next year.

Annnd the most impressive band of the weekend. Black Sabbath. Sounded like the world was ending. Never EVER heard a heavier band. 3 oul lads absolutely schooling everyone else in how Metal should be played. Tony Iommi has the greatest tone I have ever heard, absolutely crushed it. The crowd were so into it as well.

War Pigs and Children of the Grave were my personal favourites.

What's been the best gig you've ever been to?

Leaving out Download, I would say... Metallica in 2008. Incredible show. Best Ive ever seen them.

2nd place, strangely to triviums 2005 ambassador show. Great energy about the band then, before their decline.
    Do you buy your music online or buy cd's/vinyl from a regular shop?

laughing_meme_guy_by_vixenwolfie-d485kw0.png

What's your favourite album artwork?

Leviathan.

Really?
    That's mad! I never really picked up on the production issues, I'll have to listen closely next time. I think with this album they tried to push the boundaries a little and add a little prog-ness, albeit not totally radical, but the song The Number Six is definitely proggy imo!

Here's one for the thread.
    Do you look/dress like a rocker/metaler?

I just thought the vocals and drums were much better on wrath, and this album was a step backwards. Having seen the songs live last week, it has nothing to do with the songwriting. The songs are fantastic. Something about the production irks me though!

Ehhh no not really. Not to an extreme level anyway. Generally have a band tshirt on, longish hair and a beard. No piercings/tattoos etc though

viadah wrote: »
    Did it crush your soul, as it did mine, when the Undertaker became 'the American Bad Ass' with new theme music - Kid Rock taking a massive **** on 'Sad But True'?

Yes, Yes, Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Annnd the most impressive band of the weekend. Black Sabbath. Sounded like the world was ending. Never EVER heard a heavier band. 3 oul lads absolutely schooling everyone else in how Metal should be played. Tony Iommi has the greatest tone I have ever heard, absolutely crushed it. The crowd were so into it as well.

War Pigs and Children of the Grave were my personal favourites.

Ah really glad to hear that :) That's one of the things I really love about metal: there's such respect for the older bands. You can still see them play over 40 yrs later and they still kick ass.

Thanks to everyone that posted questions and to D.Q for answering them. The next installment of In The Pit is here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement