Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-05-2012, 15:32   #46
Benny_Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudess View Post
I agree it must have been really serious stuff because an expulsion is a huge step, although it still seems a bit much IMO. Shut down the page, suspend the little pricks and give them a warning - surely sufficient? Unless there were allegations on the page?
I also don't understand how something like this could damage a teacher's career.
I was under the impression that there were allegations on the page?
Advertisement
17-05-2012, 15:33   #47
davet82
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovelid View Post
Suspension (under threat of expulsion next time) would have been more fair.
My first reaction was it was harsh then reading some of the posts i thought, actually this is pretty serious they should be fcuked out...

but i think the above post hit the nail on the head imo
Thanks from:
17-05-2012, 15:37   #48
Hannibal Smith

I think its very extreme...expeling them for Facebook comments?! That's ridiculous. It makes a mockery out of online bullying, which is a real issue.

I'm sure the kids knew there'd be repercussions...but expulsion?!
17-05-2012, 15:41   #49
Dudess
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Smith View Post
I think its very extreme...expeling them for Facebook comments?! That's ridiculous. It makes a mockery out of online bullying, which is a real issue.

I'm sure the kids knew there'd be repercussions...but expulsion?!
I bet it's a lot more than mere comments - an expulsion is never for a minor thing, to be fair. There were girls in my school who assaulted teachers and didn't get expelled!

Benny Cake, I dunno. Presume considering the fallout that it was something really serious like that all right.
Thanks from:
17-05-2012, 15:42   #50
Offside

What I've heard is it was on a Meme's page dedicated to the school - Obviously these things can escalate and I'd assume the meme's just started to get very out of hand. It's idiotic to be posting such allegations on a public page that can be viewed by anyone - I'm not sure if expulsion was the right option but these kids needed to see there are consequences to these actions that when done were probably just viewed by them as banter or a bit of craic.
Advertisement
17-05-2012, 15:44   #51
GaryIrv93
Closed Account

From reading this it seems that just the teachers are under bullying protection. Millions of kids everyday are bullied, many much more seriously than these teachers, and it's seen by teachers. How come those bullies don't get suspended or expelled? Why aren't kids as fully protected?
(4) thanks from:
17-05-2012, 15:48   #52
Jester252

Schools do have a very hard stance on bullying
Maybe the expulsion could have been more to do with the people involved.
If the school didn't expel them they the school would have not followed through with its bullying policy and question would have been raised about the fact they were not expelled was due to the fact one of the parents was a TD. Suspension is not a real punishment IMO.
Thanks from:
17-05-2012, 15:48   #53
Dudess
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by lividduck View Post
Being expelled from a private school is hardly "ruining their future prospects", or do only the privlidged few have "future prospects"?
I'd assume the very same concern re their futures would be expressed if it were a state school?

Last edited by Dudess; 17-05-2012 at 16:08.
17-05-2012, 15:48   #54
MarkyTheLips
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDub1 View Post
I'd understand that if joining fb at the age 12 effected your eduction or effected the school but what business of the schools is it if a person wants to join fb?
Surely punishment or closing of an account is down to their parents decision if they find not obeying the T&C of facebook an issue.

You have to be over 18 to drink and smoke but yet there is Young teenagers do it anyway.
The school cant expel pupils for drinking and smoking outside of school.

Imo what a person does outside of school grounds is their or their parents business unless it's affecting their eduction or affecting the school.
I see where you're coming from with regard to gargle and smokes, but perhaps the point is that online bullying IS affecting the (reputation of the) school and the education of the pupils adversely.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-05-2012, 15:50   #55
stovelid
Closed Account

Thing is, if you chanced across a Facebook page set up by kids saying two of their teachers are banging each other, you'd just think it was a joke, albeit a dumb one.

I'm not saying I'd like it but I'd hardly consider it some massive assassination of character and I still don't think it's as bad as bullying your peers, that is, kids that are at the mercy of their peers re: acceptance and status and a bit more emotionally vulnerable.

Not saying they don't deserve to be punished or that they are nice kids, of course.
Thanks from:
17-05-2012, 15:50   #56
AskMyChocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lividduck View Post
Being expelled from a private school is hardly "ruining their future prospects", or do only the privlidged few have "future prospects"?
When did Oatlands become a private school? It never was in my day.
(3) thanks from:
17-05-2012, 15:50   #57
MagicSean
Closed Account

The stuff they alleged had to potential to result in a person losing his family job and freedom as well as leaving them open to investigation by the HSE and Gardaí. Once something is on the internet it's there forever. It's interesting how people were in arms when RTE did something similar to a priest but in this case people are prepared to say they've learned their lesson.
17-05-2012, 15:53   #58
Dudess
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSean View Post
The stuff they alleged had to potential to result in a person losing his family job and freedom as well as leaving them open to investigation by the HSE and Gardaí. Once something is on the internet it's there forever. It's interesting how people were in arms when RTE did something similar to a priest but in this case people are prepared to say they've learned their lesson.
Oh right, so reading between the lines there were allegations of the worst kind? Thought that might be the case all right and that it wouldn't have just been for malicious but harmless comments, because an expulsion for that would be a bridge too far.
17-05-2012, 15:54   #59
davet82
Closed Account

Quote:
It's interesting how people were in arms when RTE did something similar to a priest but in this case people are prepared to say they've learned their lesson.
unless RTE is run by children, i dont see the comparison
17-05-2012, 15:54   #60
jayteecork
Banned

Quote:
What were the exact allegations if you don't mind me asking?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion