Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-02-2012, 20:42   #16
G-Money
Closed Account

Going off junk etc myself, although I've kind of already started.
Advertisement
20-02-2012, 20:53   #17
chinguetti

Nothing like finishing a race and tearing through the goodie bag to eat the chocolate bar/bag of crisps. Yer daft giving up sweets for Lent, the drink is far easier to give up.

Nothing tastes like goodie bag treats after a pb
(4) thanks from:
20-02-2012, 21:15   #18
Oisin11178

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinguetti View Post
Nothing like finishing a race and tearing through the goodie bag to eat the chocolate bar/bag of crisps. Yer daft giving up sweets for Lent, the drink is far easier to give up.

Cant beat it
20-02-2012, 21:23   #19
hot to trot

Quote:

Going off the gargle for me wouldnt be any kind of stress because I so rarely get to indulge. Giving up 3-4 pints over a 7 week period is much easier than 8 bars of chocolate a week.
Its not really a religious thing for many people , but if you say you are off something ... people wont force you to g'wan g'wan g'wan as they respect that perhaps you have a religious motivation for doing what you are doing. Iknow complete heathens who use it to shed a few pounds or clean up the lifestyles without people trying to sabotage them all the time .
20-02-2012, 21:34   #20
runrabbit

Quote:

Last year I managed to stay off sweets and chocolate for the whole of lent. I raced a good few times over lent and all the goodies went into a big bowl, which I promptly devoured on Easter Sunday morning! This year I will aim to do the same, but I might allow myself to break it after Ballycotten - in lieu I will start tomorrow instead of Wednesday. I've just finished that packet of cadbury crunchie biscuits off lest they tempt me tomorrow, so the presses are officially a chocolate-free zone!
Advertisement
20-02-2012, 21:42   #21
glennhysen

Chocolate for me, I've been giving it up every Lent since I was a kid
20-02-2012, 22:00   #22
RayCun

Metro St Brigids 5k next month - I'll handle all your goody bags, since you won't be needing them
Thanks from:
20-02-2012, 22:03   #23
menoscemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCun View Post
Metro St Brigids 5k next month - I'll handle all your goody bags, since you won't be needing them
That's different. We'll stay off sweets the day before and have the paddys day pass a day late.
20-02-2012, 22:13   #24
TFBubendorfer

It's that time of the year again, eh?

I'll give up sweets and chocolate and all the other sugary crap I'm addicted to - only until Connemara though, no longer.
Advertisement
20-02-2012, 22:27   #25
menoscemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFBubendorfer View Post
It's that time of the year again, eh?

I'll give up sweets and chocolate and all the other sugary crap I'm addicted to - only until Connemara though, no longer.
I'm with you on that. All bets are off after conn.
20-02-2012, 23:34   #26
clear thinking

I'd be wary of giving stuff up as it could undermine my carefully balanced diet of good & junk food, especially given what happened to the guy who started it all off.
20-02-2012, 23:46   #27
flutegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank5 View Post
Any white carbs ... pasta... spuds.. white rice.. chips..bread.. and fizzy drinks

Yep, that's me as well...
21-02-2012, 01:37   #28
meijin

Not much to give up re. food as I gave up all the junk stuff already... I'm a bit lost about ideas what to give up
21-02-2012, 02:41   #29
Pisco Sour
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunguska View Post
I'd agree to a point. I think eating some sugary foods post training is grand. I find that if my diet is too clean I become physically weak and cant perform at the same level. But I think fast food has no business being in the diet of a runner who takes their training even slightly serious. Ditto for the booze.
Ah here, that's a bit OTT. Maybe at the elite end yes, but for anybody below this, a few pints of the black stuff or a few glasses of vino after a good race or cracking training run won't do anybody any harm at all.

Some of the comments on here are about diet are a bit much at times I think. Consider Ciaran O'Lionaird's thoughts on diet:

I don’t pay a whole lot of attention to it. I eat when I’m hungry and I try to eat well but I also like going into a race feeling good and will eat what I want if there is something I really want to eat. Prior to my 3:34 I stayed in Leuven for a month and not one evening went by where I wasnt at the ice-cream shop getting a waffle cone with Speculoos ice cream. It’s about balance, like everything else in running and in life.

Paula Radcliffe eats chocolate and makes no apologies for it and considers it healthy in small doses as it has magnesium in it. I spotted David Rudisha drinking a can of coke outside of Olympic Park in Melbourne last year after he blitzed the field in 1:43.
(2) thanks from:
21-02-2012, 08:02   #30
tHE vAGGABOND

Mod: Sports
Im thinking beer [but allowing myself Wine] - is that cheating

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size