Alternatives to Catholicism? - Page 3 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-02-2012, 22:49   #31
Northclare
Closed Account

Someone once told me, you could always pray for the Oops! I used a word that is contrary to the Charter

And thank God your not like all those sick Oops! I did it again!

Last edited by PDN; 23-02-2012 at 22:51. Reason: Wash your mouth out with soap.
Advertisement
23-02-2012, 23:01   #32
homer911

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatranska View Post
Just don't sit near the amplifiers or else bring some industrial ear plugs.
Sat through 3 hours and was almost deaf going home.
It's not the amplifiers I'd be worried about, its the speakers (pun intended)
Thanks from:
24-02-2012, 20:53   #33
philologos
Closed Account

Festus: What's so wrong with the OP desiring to think about other Christian churches? I take it you're going to interpret anyone who decides to go to a non-RCC church as being unable to forgive.
24-02-2012, 21:10   #34
noah45

I am a non denominational christian and belong to the plumbline ministry. Basically we believe in living according to the bible.

I wrote a letter to the administrator of the catholic parish in which I received baptism, first holy communion, confirmation and marriage explaining that I did not wish to be considered a roman catholic and they wrote back confirming this.

I enjoy being a christian every day.
(2) thanks from:
24-02-2012, 21:28   #35
Benny_Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah45 View Post
I am a non denominational christian and belong to the plumbline ministry. Basically we believe in living according to the bible.

I wrote a letter to the administrator of the catholic parish in which I received baptism, first holy communion, confirmation and marriage explaining that I did not wish to be considered a roman catholic and they wrote back confirming this.

I enjoy being a christian every day.
That's good, just to make the point that Catholicism and Christianity aren't mutually exclusive - I'm sure you didn't mean it that way!

Personally I think the right church for a person is one where they can grow in love, deepen in faith, and learn. That probably isn't going to be the same for everyone - I know I haven't found the place I fit in yet.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-02-2012, 21:52   #36
joseph brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmebroadband View Post
OP, you are basing your faith on sinners in the Church and not by what it teaches. Sure you'll find bad eggs everywhere, and in ALL religions. My faith is based on what the Church TEACHES and not by the wrongs some of the clergy did. Did Jesus pick out saints for his disciples, no he didn't, St. Augustine himself was a sinner who became saint!

'Some' of the clergy.

The current Pope has popped up in the news over allegations he oversaw the transfer of a dirty, sick, twisted, paedo priest, from one parish to another, in Germany. Fresh children to work on. Who cares? Certainly not these 'holier than thou' clergymen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Hullermann

German Catholic Priest Admits to 280 Counts of Sexual Abuse
http://news.yahoo.com/german-catholi...224600657.html

Admits to 280! How many more were there?

A list of 'some' of the allegations, listed by country.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10407559

My point is, the rot in the church goes right to the top. These guys in their robes and gold bling are in it for the money. Anyone who can't see that, good luck to you.

Some people like being told how to live. I don't. I'm not a child and I'm not interested in a paedo telling me I've sinned.

Last edited by joseph brand; 24-02-2012 at 22:12.
24-02-2012, 22:55   #37
Doc Farrell

Please consider that there are more than a few men and women in the catholic church who have dedicated their lives to helping others. When one meets them they shine of decency and kindness.
I'm not sure if you meant to tarnish everyone with your comment or whether you did but I personally know many Catholic priests, nuns and laypersons who are the most extraordinary people I've ever met.
Perhaps if you wish to discuss this you can post your particular point of view in one of he main threads and pm me and I'll be happy to chat.
24-02-2012, 23:43   #38
Festus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny_Cake View Post
That's good, just to make the point that Catholicism and Christianity aren't mutually exclusive - I'm sure you didn't mean it that way!

Personally I think the right church for a person is one where they can grow in love, deepen in faith, and learn. That probably isn't going to be the same for everyone - I know I haven't found the place I fit in yet.
Any consideration for Truth?
25-02-2012, 00:06   #39
Festus

Quote:
Originally Posted by philologos View Post
Festus: What's so wrong with the OP desiring to think about other Christian churches?
Did I say it was wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by philologos View Post
I take it you're going to interpret anyone who decides to go to a non-RCC church as being unable to forgive.
Take it what ever way you want to, if that is your wont, but you would be wrong.

Anyway you appear to have difficulty in understanding what I wrote so in a nutshell the OP has asserted that he has no respect for the Catholic Church and believes it to be criminal. Having no respect of someone or something frequently leads to the object of this lack of respect being treated eventually with contempt. Love and Respect tend to go together and when something is not respected it usually is not loved either. The language is negative and not desirous within a Christian so in seeking the true feelings of the OP, and I suppose others of a similar mindset, I selected the atomicity of Christianity. Love and Forgiveness.

Without forgiveness one cannot love and without love one cannot forgive. Without either being a Christian is difficult.

If the OP truely wants to be a Christian he has to be able to Love the Catholic Church and forgive the Catholic Church.

By the way, the same goes for you and any other Christian here.

Last edited by Festus; 25-02-2012 at 00:12.
Advertisement
25-02-2012, 00:31   #40
Benny_Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus View Post
Any consideration for Truth?
Jesus is the Truth. If someone feels that they can't in good conscience remain part of the Catholic Church I would hope that they would continue to have a relationship with Him.
(2) thanks from:
25-02-2012, 07:25   #41
noah45

[QUOTE=Benny_Cake;77273645]That's good, just to make the point that Catholicism and Christianity aren't mutually exclusive - I'm sure you didn't mean it that way!

I know that roman catholicism is christian,so not mutually exclusive, I was explaining in reply to FoxT how I informed the roman catholic church.
" There used to be a way of 'signing out'of Catholicism, but I think that avenue no longer exists. If anybody has a link, let me know!"
Thanks from:
25-02-2012, 09:33   #42
Benny_Cake

Quote:
I know that roman catholicism is christian,so not mutually exclusive, I was explaining in reply to FoxT how I informed the roman catholic church.
" There used to be a way of 'signing out'of Catholicism, but I think that avenue no longer exists. If anybody has a link, let me know!"
Yeah, there was a website called Count Me Out. It was fairly symbolic really, as obviously baptism can't be undone, and as far as I know for statistical purposes the Catholic Church relies on the census!
25-02-2012, 10:41   #43
Northclare
Closed Account

There is no right or wrong church.

At the end of the day its a personal choice ill never listen to anyone who tells me which is the right or wrong church for me.

The catholic church has a lot to answer for.

There is good and bad everywhere but if its true that Mr Infallible sent a known sick bstrd from parish to parish well that says enough.

And stop making excuses for the catholic church as the hole is only getting bigger and bigger.

Infallible (yeah right)

The church of Ireland sounds more appealing
26-02-2012, 00:24   #44
lmaopml

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northclare View Post
There is no right or wrong church.

At the end of the day its a personal choice ill never listen to anyone who tells me which is the right or wrong church for me.

The catholic church has a lot to answer for.

There is good and bad everywhere but if its true that Mr Infallible sent a known sick bstrd from parish to parish well that says enough.

And stop making excuses for the catholic church as the hole is only getting bigger and bigger.

Infallible (yeah right)

The church of Ireland sounds more appealing
I too would rather see somebody at the expense of my particular 'Catholic' faith; commit to a Christian one, any Christian one, because they are most certainly my brothers and sisters, and a persons faith is worth more in their lifetime and being real to it, to them than understanding - but my Catholic faith, is imo the ultimate expression of Scripture and what it's all about - being united is the perfect expression, and there is only imo one expression of faith that calls for it - Christs Church.

In saying that, I think you misrepresent me and Catholics in general, and the idea of 'Church' or 'infallible' - the 'hole' is not filled in particularly by those who claim Christ and every other deity or let themselves be wrote on by same, you either belong to Christ or you don't, but fill it in with any kind of Spirituality that happens to suit, and is, absolutely, a very long mile from Christianity.

Christianity doesn't mean perfect people always - perhaps you need to look at this and understand exactly what following Christ as a Catholic means, and not jump the gun with some kind of spiritual understanding you have aquired outside the Gospels. It's not easy, it's not meant to be - but we don't dress it up with some kind of false newage spirituality either. Christ is Christ, Scripture is scripture, his Church is his Church no new age ingredients necessary to add or subtract or clarify his word.
26-02-2012, 00:43   #45
Northclare
Closed Account

There is a big difference between walking over the Kedron with Jesus and reading the bible literally.

Christianity is more symbolic than what the Catholic church preaches.

I don't represent you or any other Catholics.

I represent myself.

Christianity was new age over 2000 years ago.

I would much prefer to follow a humble guy who wore sandals and got around on a donkey to following a guy who claims to be infallible and lives in the lap of luxury.

I won't even go into the Crusades, but Sufism is great too .

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion