Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-02-2012, 20:40   #1
WIZE
Closed Account

Pet Cats roaming -V- Pet Dogs roaming

Hi All

I'm a happy owner of Westies and would never dream of letting my dogs wonder the streets .

when bringing my dogs for a walk I dislike dogs wondering over to my dogs with no sign of the owners .

Where I live there are loads of cats wondering the streets doing what they want when they want .

Do you think its acceptable and responsible as a pet owner to let your Cat or Dog wonder the streets ?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-02-2012, 20:43   #2
irelandspurs

Do you see many people taking there cat for a walk on a lead.There different animals and can be handled differently.
16-02-2012, 20:45   #3
Ophiopogon
Closed Account

This topic had been done to death and it always ends up in circles.
(3) thanks from:
16-02-2012, 20:46   #4
are you serious

Where I am I have seen probably one maybe two dogs out roaming on there own, probably strays...

In the same period of time I have seen possibly 15 cats, 3 of which are owned by the next door neighbour roaming.

I, as you all know have 2 dogs Buddy and Izzy.

Buddy has cornered a cat on one occasion.. tail wagging wanting to play it was so funny...
Izzy on the other had since the day I brought her home has displayed what I can only discribe as pure hatred for cats. If when she gets a bit older happens to catch a cat god help it!!

My answer to your question is no absolutely not, it is not acceptable not for a cat or a dog...
16-02-2012, 20:48   #5
irelandspurs

Animals have as much right to be on this planet as do you and i.
Advertisement
16-02-2012, 20:52   #6
WIZE
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by irelandspurs View Post
Do you see many people taking there cat for a walk on a lead.There different animals and can be handled differently.
No I see cats dead at the side of the road every few weeks . I also see lots of dead birds and cat ****e in my Garden but I guess that's acceptable to the owners .
Thanks from:
16-02-2012, 20:53   #7
gud4u
Closed Account

Quote:
Ah, but we don't run around peeing and pooping on pavements, jumping up on people to clean our shoes and sniffing each others butts, so I guess cats and dogs need a little more control. Maybe some people do.....on a saturday night...whatever you're in to.

Last edited by gud4u; 16-02-2012 at 20:55.
(3) thanks from:
16-02-2012, 20:53   #8
WIZE
Closed Account

Quote:
What do you mean by this in relation to this thread

Last edited by WIZE; 16-02-2012 at 20:56.
Thanks from:
16-02-2012, 20:54   #9
Slksht

Quote:
Originally Posted by garkane View Post
If when she gets a bit older happens to catch a cat god help it!!
You mean God help your dog! If a Dog tried to fight a cat the cat will win every time. They go for the eyes with their claws... nasty!

No it is not acceptable for any pet to roam the streets imo. The "they have as much right..." argument is bull! By that logic it is perfectly acceptable for me to throw a spear at a apassing cat or dog and cook it on my fire. Seriously going to use that as an argument??

Cats are a hard one because by their nature they want to wander around. I do not like this though and would prefer they didn't but realistically, there is not such a solution.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-02-2012, 20:58   #10
Slksht

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIZE View Post
What do you mean by this in relation to this thread
Your original post was much better haha
(3) thanks from:
16-02-2012, 20:58   #11
gigawatt

by law dogs are the responsibility of the owner, cats are not.
dogs should not be allowed to wander as they have a stronger guarding instinct than a cat and would be more likely to attack a human being than a cat would. a cat will generally shy away if approached by a stranger, and if chased by a dog, it will usually try to escape, only standing its ground if cornered.
the part I dont understand is why anyone cares if there are cats wandering in their neighbourhood considering that they keep vermin levels low.
before anyone jumps to conclusions I have both cats and dogs and I adore them equally. They are different species and different rules apply to them based on their behavioral instincts.
16-02-2012, 20:58   #12
are you serious

slkshtIf dogs were let out and did not require a licence (yeah i know not all have one anyway) they would roam a hell of a lot longer and further than any cat would!
Thanks from:
16-02-2012, 21:08   #13
pawrick

I definitely don't think it's responsible. My main reason is that it is likely your pet will end up injured through fighting with other cats/dogs or hit by a car and killed, by allowing them roam you are increasing the risk to your pets life.

I also don't think it's acceptable to allow pets to roam - wild animals yes but pets no. Cats are the ones which come in for most stick on this and with good reason given the attitude of some owners who expect their neighbours to accommodate someone else's pet. I think this turns a lot of people against cats.
(3) thanks from:
16-02-2012, 21:12   #14
TskTsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIZE View Post
Do you think its acceptable and responsible as a pet owner to let your Cat or Dog wonder the streets ?
When I was growing up, the idea of owning a dog but having to keep it locked up all day long would have been a totally alien concept. Dogs haven't changed in 20 years, but society has. Litigation and general intolerance have lead us to the point where people actually consider concepts like a 'cat license', or preventing a cat from roaming to be perfectly rational.

Personally speaking, I'd have no problem with the vast majority of dogs being allowed to wander around their locality, apart from the more aggressive breeds which I do think need to be restricted for obvious safety reasons. If it means I have to scoop up the odd dog poo from my garden or put up with them peeing on my car wheels, I'll suffer it. Dogs were part of neighbourhood life all over this country until the 90s. Nowadays, seeing a dog running around enjoying himself is reason enough to make people stop and stare (and usually give out).

As someone else has already mentioned, we aren't the only species on this planet and we need to bear that in mind.
(2) thanks from:
16-02-2012, 21:19   #15
irelandspurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawrick View Post
I definitely don't think it's responsible. My main reason is that it is likely your pet will end up injured through fighting with other cats/dogs or hit by a car and killed, by allowing them roam you are increasing the risk to your pets life.

I also don't think it's acceptable to allow pets to roam - wild animals yes but pets no. Cats are the ones which come in for most stick on this and with good reason given the attitude of some owners who expect their neighbours to accommodate someone else's pet. I think this turns a lot of people against cats.
would you like to be locked up 24 hours a day?
(4) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion