Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broiler Chickens

Options
  • 29-01-2012 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi,
    i was thinking about getting a few broilers,never had them before,just laying hens.
    I heard stories about them going off their feet & not being able to walk for the last few weeks.I dont want this type of bird cos they are going to be free range.
    Could anyone suggest where to get some day old chicks that would grow a bit slower & be able to free range but also be a good size bird?
    Also does anyone know anywhere in north tipp that could kill & gut them when the time comes? I definatly would not be able to do this after looking after them for 3 months!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

The girlfriends parents got 50 off annyalla chicks in monaghan 2 months ago. They have had no problems with them but the havent really started to push them on with feed yet. They let them out for the first time today but the would have been out sooner only for the poor weather. This chicks are supposed to be fit to kill at 10-12 weeks but I would say it will take 13 or 14 free ranging them but you wouldnt mind that. They are fine and healthy and were quite happy to roam around today once they were put out the door. I will find out tomorrow the name of the place in tipp because that is where they kill their turkeys and ducks. You should give chickenfarmer a pm, He seems to knoe his stuff and would be more than glad to help ya. Heres a picture of a few of the broilers today at 8 weeks

photo-10.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 tipseymcT

They look to be good size chickens for 8 weeks old. any idea if that crowd that sell them deliver ? monaghan would be a long drive,will only be looking for around 10 to start off with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

i think theres a broiler hatchery in straffan, co kildare but this is prob grandparent stock and another around newcastle west in limerick . im going back afew years but might still be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

tipseymcT wrote: »
    They look to be good size chickens for 8 weeks old. any idea if that crowd that sell them deliver ? monaghan would be a long drive,will only be looking for around 10 to start off with.

They do, i get about 20 at a time, Hubbard breed, slow growing, i meet the lorry just off motorway, get my box & pay cash.

i try & kick them outside as young as possible, the get used to goin out & will spend most of the day out, they were a bit small @ 13weeks last time, about 8lbs cleaned, prefer a 4 dinner bird with leftovers.

the meat when cooked will need chewing, it ain't really soft, but it is tender, closer to wild pheasant not the damp cardboard feel in the mouth

A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Eugene O'Mara in cappawhite has a poultry slaughter house.. cant find his number, he does everything even bags them for you

• Advertisement

jap gt wrote: »
    Eugene O'Mara in cappawhite has a poultry slaughter house.. cant find his number, he does everything even bags them for you

Hi Jap gt

what price does he charge per bird for say 20 birds ??

A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Askim wrote: »
    Hi Jap gt

what price does he charge per bird for say 20 birds ??

A

never got chickens killed with him, i kill my own but a few friends got them killed and they were very happy with him, at a guess il say 1.50-2 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Add in the time and the cost of buying and feeding them, and it makes you realise how ridiculously cheap the standard supermarket chickens are.

recedite wrote: »
    Add in the time and the cost of buying and feeding them, and it makes you realise how ridiculously cheap the standard supermarket chickens are.
    Cheap yes but they are pure muck in comparison!!

recedite wrote: »

mine cost me about €5 each, ordered 25 today, picking them up monday & will kill about mid may, like each bird to be 4 dinner bird with spare

i must keep an eye on costa this time

A

• Advertisement

First one killed yesterday a 6.5lb weight, they were finished on boiled spuds mixed with maize meal and barley which is why it's so yellow.
    photo-33.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

First one killed yesterday a 6.5lb weight, they were finished on boiled spuds mixed with maize meal and barley which is why it's so yellow.

And the taste test?

johngalway wrote: »

And the taste test?
    Can't say that until tomorrow John but I would imagine they will be lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Looks good red enjoy the dinner tommorow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

Can't say that until tomorrow John but I would imagine they will be lovely.

what techniques did u use to dress it so well? not a stitch of feather fluff or hairs!! looks fab

Ding Dong wrote: »
    what techniques did u use to dress it so well? not a stitch of feather fluff or hairs!! looks fab

To be honest the girlfriends mother did it. I think she dunked it into hot water for 30 seconds to make them easier to pluck but not 100% on that.

Advertisement