rescued 2 week old kitten - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-08-2014, 21:04   #1
damagegt

rescued 2 week old kitten

I recently rescued a kitten.I could hear him/her crying for over 24 hrs but I couldnt locate it.When I eventually did, all the siblings had passed away and he/she was the only survivor.There was no sign of a parent and the kitten was extreamly cold.
I have worked out that its about 2 weeks old.It weighs 152g,which I think might be a little light but it have a good, strong cry.
I'v warmed it up and got some royal caine kitten formula but I'm worried its not feeding enough.Its just about getting 5ml every 2-3hrs and also due to being in the cold for so long that it might have pneumonia.
Its breathing seems ok,its mouth is closed when breathing but it does have a small "click".
Its bowls are all working fine and its burping after meals

Any help or suggestions would be great.
Advertisement
16-08-2014, 21:21   #2
janmaree

I've had to rear tiny orphaned kittens before but 2 weeks is awfully young and you shouldn't be overly surprised if the kitten doesn't make it, things are really stacked against it. More knowledgeable people will be along very soon to help and I really do wish you well. If the kitten thrives and you are in a position to keep it yourself, you're in for a pretty wonderful relationship with your new baby. But until you get better advice than I can offer, warmth and careful feeding is pretty much all you can do for it, poor little mite. Good luck to you both.
(4) thanks from:
16-08-2014, 22:08   #3
damagegt

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmaree View Post
I've had to rear tiny orphaned kittens before but 2 weeks is awfully young and you shouldn't be overly surprised if the kitten doesn't make it, things are really stacked against it. More knowledgeable people will be along very soon to help and I really do wish you well. If the kitten thrives and you are in a position to keep it yourself, you're in for a pretty wonderful relationship with your new baby. But until you get better advice than I can offer, warmth and careful feeding is pretty much all you can do for it, poor little mite. Good luck to you both.
Iv hand rared a few things over the years but this fellas seems very small.It seems quite strong but these things can go bad so far and Im just a tad worried about what damage would have been done before I found it.Fingers crossed it will work out.
(2) thanks from:
16-08-2014, 23:32   #4
New Home

Try and ring a vet and ask for advice, even better bring the kitty to the vet, it might need special formula - maybe with more calories/ more nutrients than the one you've been giving him - and maybe even antibiotics... poor kitty...

I'm not sure if there are any cat/animal rescue places in Ireland, but there may be a few in the UK, it might be worth looking them up on the internet, they may be able to give you some extra information. Depending on where you are based, the Blue Cross and/ or the ISPCA could give you some assistance too...

Fair play for being a good human being!
16-08-2014, 23:42   #5
damagegt

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Home View Post
Try and ring a vet and ask for advice, even better bring the kitty to the vet, it might need special formula - maybe with more calories/ more nutrients than the one you've been giving him - and maybe even antibiotics... poor kitty...

I'm not sure if there are any cat/animal rescue places in Ireland, but there may be a few in the UK, it might be worth looking them up on the internet, they may be able to give you some extra information. Depending on where you are based, the Blue Cross and/ or the ISPCA could give you some assistance too...

Fair play for being a good human being!
I rang the vet and he wasnt much help,had more of a "dont get your hopes up" attitude.I did get the food he recommended.I suppose there is'nt much more I can do.
Advertisement
17-08-2014, 00:01   #6
tk123

Some advise in this thread - http://touch.boards.ie/thread/205726.../#post91542557
Thanks from:
17-08-2014, 00:08   #7
New Home

GIZMOOOOOOO!!!!!! Soooo cute...

The Vet seems quite heartless... And extremely unhelpful.
17-08-2014, 00:19   #8
Karl Stein
Festively Plump

Hope the kitten makes it - best of luck OP.
17-08-2014, 00:20   #9
damagegt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk123 View Post
Iv done pretty much everything recommend in that tread apart from the bread thing but I don't know if that's such a good idea.If he/she makes it over the next few days hopefully it will pull through.Well we just had a weigh in and were up 4g from this morning,so that's something
Advertisement
17-08-2014, 00:30   #10
Karl Stein
Festively Plump

*follows thread*
17-08-2014, 00:53   #11
New Home

From the photo s/he seems to be in pretty good form, considering what's s/he's gone through, so you seem to be doing a great job - and I agree, I don't think the bread thing is a great idea, at least when s/he's still sooo very young.

I'm probably going to state the obvious, here, but if you want to know if it's a boy or a girl, it's pretty easy even at this early age, just check him/her from the tummy side instead of from the back, it's much easier this way when s/he's so young - if it's a boy his genitals will look like a little mound at the bottom of his tummy, whereas if it's a girl you won't see anything.

Sending good old hippy vibes your way - we're rooting for you kitten!
(4) thanks from:
17-08-2014, 10:59   #12
damagegt

Quote:
From the photo s/he seems to be in pretty good form, considering what's s/he's gone through, so you seem to be doing a great job - and I agree, I don't think the bread thing is a great idea, at least when s/he's still sooo very young.

I'm probably going to state the obvious, here, but if you want to know if it's a boy or a girl, it's pretty easy even at this early age, just check him/her from the tummy side instead of from the back, it's much easier this way when s/he's so young - if it's a boy his genitals will look like a little mound at the bottom of his tummy, whereas if it's a girl you won't see anything.

Sending good old hippy vibes your way - we're rooting for you kitten!
It was a bit of a ropey one last night.He didnt sleep much and wasn't eating alot with alot of crying.He seems to fall asleep when feeding and doesn't suckle enough.Iv tried keeping him awake by blowing in his ear.Hes only get 1-3ml in at a time.Im not sure if that's enough
17-08-2014, 11:16   #13
New Home

Poor mite, and poor you, I guess you didn't get much sleep either. I do hope he's not actually sick, poor little thing...

I suppose he has a tiny stomach, so maybe he needs even more frequent feeds with small amounts, and if he's feeling poorly he probably doesn't feel as hungry, much like ourselves, but I can see why you are concerned.

Having said that, he might be sucking just for comfort, that could be why he falls asleep while feeding... Are you holding him most of the time, or have you put him in a box? Being so tiny he'd need some physical contact with his mother (or you, in this case). Something else that could possibly help if you don't want to hold him all the time are a hot water bottle in a blankie/pillowcase/cushion cover -just make sure it's not too hot -, and an old fashioned alarm clock (the ones that make a loudish ticking sound, but I don't know if you have one), they mimick their mother's heartbeat and body warmth, and might make him settle a bit more.

Let us know how he's doing during the day, please...
(2) thanks from:
17-08-2014, 11:39   #14
damagegt

Quote:
Poor mite, and poor you, I guess you didn't get much sleep either. I do hope he's not actually sick, poor little thing...

I suppose he has a tiny stomach, so maybe he needs even more frequent feeds with small amounts, and if he's feeling poorly he probably doesn't feel as hungry, much like ourselves, but I can see why you are concerned.

Having said that, he might be sucking just for comfort, that could be why he falls asleep while feeding... Are you holding him most of the time, or have you put him in a box? Being so tiny he'd need some physical contact with his mother (or you, in this case). Something else that could possibly help if you don't want to hold him all the time are a hot water bottle in a blankie/pillowcase/cushion cover -just make sure it's not too hot -, and an old fashioned alarm clock (the ones that make a loudish ticking sound, but I don't know if you have one), they mimick their mother's heartbeat and body warmth, and might make him settle a bit more.

Let us know how he's doing during the day, please...
I think Ill just be more regimental with the feedings and keep it to every 3 hours.As for sleeping and feeding,hes in my hands and sleeps with me or with a t-shirt of mine wrapped around a hot water bottle and a soft blanket.I got a good feed into him there so lets hope it works out.ill throw up a few more pictures if things pick up
17-08-2014, 12:36   #15
Kablamo!

I really hope he pulls through for you. It's a good thing you're doing.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion