Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-09-2012, 13:16   #1
toadfly

Changed to Raw :-)

FINALLY Lexi got her first raw meal this morning. She got an oyster leg and some veg (cooked spud, carrot&broccoli). This evening she is getting a chick drumstick and veg. In a week or so I will introduce some fish and then some liver or kidney. Don't want to go too varied yet. Fingers crossed it works for her.

Thanks to tk123 & dogsfirst for the info and help.

Edit: it cost €5 for 8days worth of meat :-)

Last edited by toadfly; 09-09-2012 at 13:26.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-09-2012, 14:07   #2
tk123

haha well done!! I'm doing up my veg for the month atm - I'll post up some pics of the "burgers" when I portion them out!
09-09-2012, 15:13   #3
toadfly

Haha do! I done the veg only enough for 9 days while I was waiting for my breakfast to cook this morning so really isn't too much hassle.
09-09-2012, 16:07   #4
DBB

Oooh, well done Tillygirl, it does take a little bit of extra work but it feels nice knowing exactly what's going into your dog.
I know my own crew here took a while to get into eating their meat raw (I know... it seems so weird, you'd think they'd dive in!), so at first I very lightly cooked the meat, and gradually eased them towards raw.
I think this diet is great for dogs generally, but for me, it really comes into its own when the dog gets older. I think dogs fed dry food start to crock up earlier than fresh fed dogs. I think commercial foods give their liver and kidneys too much work to do over their lifetime, resulting in problems with these major organs earlier than you'd expect.
Not only that, but the fresh diet, especially when you add fish, has been proven to prevent and reverse mental ageing/dementia in older dogs.
Happy days!
Good luck with it, keep us posted how you get on!
(4) thanks from:
09-09-2012, 16:08   #5
tk123

Here's our veg I freeze them in sheets like that first then divide the lot into a couple of freezer bags - the more space in the freeze the bigger the bags lol. I was very pleased with myself when I realized a portion was the same size as the sections in the muffin tray!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg veg1.jpg (37.2 KB, 2917 views)
File Type: jpg veg2.jpg (44.4 KB, 2907 views)
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-09-2012, 16:10   #6
DBB

LOL, stick a couple of Bundies around them with a squirt of tomato ketchup, and you could open up a stall
(3) thanks from:
09-09-2012, 16:13   #7
tk123

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBB View Post
LOL, stick a couple of Bundies around them with a squirt of tomato ketchup, and you could open up a stall
I'll give pet expo a call tomorrow and see if they have any left!
09-09-2012, 16:39   #8
toadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBB View Post
Oooh, well done Tillygirl, it does take a little bit of extra work but it feels nice knowing exactly what's going into your dog.
It really does, I was quite proud of myself this morning feeding her the 4 ingredients! There's no problem with her eating, she will literally eat anything. It looks like such a tiny amount of food though, did ye think that when ye changed?

I was supplementing her dry food with cooked spud and white fish and that had to be done every three days for the last few months because I was using frozen fish and didn't like re-freezing so this is nothing!

Good plan TK, my little balls of veg arent as professional looking!
10-09-2012, 01:37   #9
ekevosu

Do ye get the recipes off dogsfirst or make them yourselves? If so please share the recipes, they look great.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-09-2012, 21:36   #10
Zapperzy

Your veg burgers look good TK. Still haven't had the time to take the plunge here yet.
11-09-2012, 16:43   #11
kaza2710

Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyGirl View Post
It looks like such a tiny amount of food though, did ye think that when ye changed?
I thought the exact same TillyGirl when I switched over but I guess when they are getting the nutrients they need that is all that matters. To put it not so politely we give our guy an extra chicken thigh with breakfast one morning as we left two out my mistake. He also had some left over meat from the sausages we had from dinner the day before, so all in all it almost doubled his portion. It turned out he pooped 5 times that day instead of his normal 2 with all the extra food! Lesson learned, we stick to the portions now and he gets treats with training and a pigs ear on either a Friday or Saturday night as a super treat.

I have been following the recipes at a link Dogs First provided as well and we just had our guy at the groomer for the first time since we switched him off dry food and she was singing his praises for the condition of his coat! She said it was so healthy and shiny and I explained the change in diet which she then attributed the healthy coat to.

I still am working on switching entirely to raw, he still turns his nose up at the odd raw meat. Raw chicken and bacon he loves but raw liver and mince beef not so much so I boil them for 3-4 minutes and then I boil his rice in that water to make sure he gets all the goodness of it.

I am managing to feed him on about 5 euro a week - I got chatty with the butcher in my local area and I now get all our meat there, including the dogs, he then throws in a huge bag of scraps every time, so I spend the 5euro on chicken, mince, liver or pork and then mix them up with the scraps, add in the veg and rice, freeze them and then take them out to defrost every morning as needed - Frodo loves it!!

Last edited by kaza2710; 11-09-2012 at 16:46.
06-10-2012, 22:33   #12
littlebug
Closed Account

Anyone else's dog not react well to RAW at the start? I gave mine one chicken wing yesterday for the first time and lets just say things weren't 100% at both ends today. I'm reluctant to try again to be honest based on todays...eh.. results
07-10-2012, 08:26   #13
tk123

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebug View Post
Anyone else's dog not react well to RAW at the start? I gave mine one chicken wing yesterday for the first time and lets just say things weren't 100% at both ends today. I'm reluctant to try again to be honest based on todays...eh.. results
It can happen at first like a detox but we had no problems. You could maybe try some chicken or turkey mince with rice or potato - keep it simple and easy to digest at first?
Thanks from:
07-10-2012, 12:39   #14
DBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebug View Post
I've had a couple of reactions like this. There's a chance she's allergic/intolerant of chicken, though you can test this by simply giving her some raw chicken meat.
But it's quite possibly the bone... Could be too much too soon for her. The couple of dogs of mine that puked up following their first bone, both GSDs, were then given just the wing tips, or the cartilage-y bit of the breastbone (that's the scientific name for it ;-) ), just to get them used to it all. No problems now, entire chicken carcasses are devoured with gusto!
You could also try feeding her some Naturediet, or meat that's been minced with bone in it, to gradually get her system on track.
Thanks from:
07-10-2012, 15:29   #15
littlebug
Closed Account

She's fine with cooked chicken so maybe it is the bone. I'll wait a few days and maybe try just wing tips and see how that goes.

tk123 your vege burgers look great. I can't see myself going to that much effort

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion