Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-06-2014, 01:51   #1
truebloodfan

Crosscroyde labrador

Buying a labrador puppy. I see a lot of crosscroyde in her breeding. Is this a good or bad thing. The mothers sire is crosscroyde coalition
Advertisement
21-06-2014, 17:43   #2
andreac

To be honest, I'd be more concerned about health tests and that both parents are hip scored. That should be more of an issue when it comes to Labradors.
I wouldnt touch a breeder that hasn't hip scored the parents or the pup.
Thanks from:
21-06-2014, 17:45   #3
truebloodfan

Oh yes they will be hip scored, vaccinated,microchipped and papers etc. costing me 600 for the pup
21-06-2014, 17:56   #4
andreac

Ah that's good. I don't know much about Labrador pedigrees so can't help you there.
Thanks from:
21-06-2014, 21:44   #5
muddypaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebloodfan View Post
Oh yes they will be hip scored, vaccinated,microchipped and papers etc. costing me 600 for the pup
Its not the pups that are hip scored, it is the parents, and the breeders should have the certificates to show you what the scores are. I don't know the average score for labradors, but you should be able to find that info fairly easily via google
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-06-2014, 22:08   #6
andreac

Sorry I didn't cop that when I read it earlier.

Yes it's the parents that must be hip scored. Have you seen their certs?
21-06-2014, 22:58   #7
tk123

Also make sure they're IKC papers and not canine Ireland.. Good luck with the pup!
(3) thanks from:
22-06-2014, 14:05   #8
Rommie

I think the average score for a lab's hips is 12 so would want to be 12 or lower when adding the two hips together
(2) thanks from:
22-06-2014, 19:38   #9
Lemlin

Quote:
I'm familiar with most of the Labrador pedigrees and have never heard of Crosscroyde to be honest. Is it a show type Labrador or field trial?

Some of the main kennels would be Phillipstown and Ballyhenry for show dogs and Copperbirch or Glennane for Field Trial.

I note Champ Dogs states there are 57 dogs with Crosscroyde in the pedigree and only 4 are champions. That seems like a low strike rate.

€600 would buy you a pup off a champion Irish Labrador.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-06-2014, 13:41   #10
truebloodfan

It was phillipstown that recommended this one to me. I was due to get a pup there but the bitch turned out not to be in pup so then she recommended this one. As the only other pups she had were yellow. I'll check them out with a friend that's more experienced in this than me and if she doesn't like them then it's back to the waiting game. Sigh. Waiting a year now for a black bitch pup
26-06-2014, 13:43   #11
truebloodfan

If this one doesn't work out where would be the best place to get a very good lab. Have 600 to spend
26-06-2014, 14:13   #12
andreac

Contact the Labrador club of Ireland and enquire about breeders and puppies with them. Just make sure the parents are hip scored.
Thanks from:
26-06-2014, 17:11   #13
Lemlin

Quote:
It was phillipstown that recommended this one to me. I was due to get a pup there but the bitch turned out not to be in pup so then she recommended this one. As the only other pups she had were yellow. I'll check them out with a friend that's more experienced in this than me and if she doesn't like them then it's back to the waiting game. Sigh. Waiting a year now for a black bitch pup
In fairness if Philipstown recommended them they should be good Labradors but there are still a number of steps you should take.

You can email Angela Hancock, secretary of the Irish Labrador Retriever Club, at angela.hancock35@gmail.com or ring her at 01 4533300.

I would have a list of questions ready to ask any breeder, even ones recommended by them.

A few of the questions:

1. Are pups around kids?
2. Are both parents hip scored?
3. Are the Labradors the large show type variety or the smaller field trial type?
4. What product has been used to worm them? Flea them?
5. Pup should be IKC registered. Make sure papers are not Canine Ireland.
6. Will the papers be ready when you are collecting the pup?
7. Are both parents eye tested?
8. What food are the pups currently being fed?
9. What age will the pup be when it is available for collection?
10. A pup from an Irish Labrador champion can be bought for €600 (I was quoted this myself in the past), so I'd be looking into the lineage of the parents and how many Show Champions are in same. Before I buy any pup, I would ask to be emailed the 4 ot 5 generation pedigree certificates for both parents.

I'm sure you have plenty of others yourself then.

I'd also ask you to remember that you need to question anyone you buy from. Often the IKC club reps etc. will be recommending their friends so it is advisable to question any breeder thoroughly and visit their premises to see the pups. They should have no problem with you doing same.

Last year yellow pups were very hard to get but this year that appears to have changed to black. It's strange the way it moves in cycles. If you were interested in a black pup, there are alot of kennels based in Down/Armagh (Copperbirch, Glennane and others) who breed field trial Labradors and would have alot of black pups as the black strain is the most commonly used for field trials and hunting - I'm told it is because they are the most intelligent. I have two field trial Labradors myself and they make wonderful pets. They are a bit smaller and more energetic than the heavier and larger show types. I have one fox red and one black.

These kennels would complete eye and hip tests on all parents and will have no problem giving you a copy of the results. I've said it before myself that I would never buy another Labrador from ROI when such good lineage is available in NI.

UK Kennel Club papers (which you can change over to IKC papers by paying a small fee) are also better as everything can be done online and they show all health tests and the results for both parents. The one thing to check is that any NI pup is microchipped as it is not mandatory for the UK kennel club.

Last edited by Lemlin; 26-06-2014 at 17:23.
Thanks from:
26-06-2014, 22:58   #14
truebloodfan

I see the bitch has a kennel club no and the address registered at the time was English. They will be registered and I'm assuming it will be Ikc reg for the price. If not I won't be buying. It's not a field trial dog I want. As I want a calm dog that won't have an instinct to go after small things (like my grans hens) lol. I don't mind the normal boisterous puppy madness though
26-06-2014, 23:05   #15
Lemlin

Quote:
I see the bitch has a kennel club no and the address registered at the time was English. They will be registered and I'm assuming it will be Ikc reg for the price. If not I won't be buying. It's not a field trial dog I want. As I want a calm dog that won't have an instinct to go after small things (like my grans hens) lol. I don't mind the normal boisterous puppy madness though
My two Field Trial Labradors live next door to 12.000 hens and have never touched one! I often walk them through the field full of hens.

I also have 3 cats and they'd be near cattle and sheep also.

I would ensure that you ask the above questions. For €600 you should be able to get a top class Labrador pup.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion