Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-01-2012, 11:51   #16
owenc

Maybe it was too far west? Are maybe they couldn't get? I'm not sure but i bet its something to do with that.
Advertisement
19-01-2012, 12:06   #17
bastados

No doubt it would have been easy to estimate the worth of Ireland simply studying the trade between the 2 countries...any significant produce would leave a "footprint".

Am far more interested in the roman difficulty with the druids.
19-01-2012, 12:12   #18
sensibleken
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowburner View Post
To date, no definitively Roman military artefacts have been unearthed.
Part of 2nd century Roman armour was found at Rathgael hillfort in wicklow
19-01-2012, 12:14   #19
slowburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastados View Post
No doubt it would have been easy to estimate the worth of Ireland simply studying the trade between the 2 countries...any significant produce would leave a "footprint".

Am far more interested in the roman difficulty with the druids.
Not so sure it would be 'easy' to estimate the degree of trade.
It was quite a long time ago and many materials simply would not have survived.
There is not going to be any physical evidence of perishable goods for example, so for that aspect of trading we will be dependent on the difficult and dubious historical record.
As mentioned above, some artefacts of Roman origin have been discovered and well documented.
Some, raise more questions than answers.
19-01-2012, 12:20   #20
bastados

Quote:
There is not going to be any physical evidence of perishable goods for example, so for that aspect of trading we will be dependent on the difficult and dubious historical record.
As mentioned above, some artefacts of Roman origin have been discovered and well documented.
I mean for the roman to establish any significance ,back then..not us today
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-01-2012, 12:29   #21
slowburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensibleken View Post
Part of 2nd century Roman armour was found at Rathgael hillfort in wicklow
No sign of it here
http://www.excavations.ie/Pages/Sear...bmit=Do+Search

The closest artefact is this
Quote:
The existence of some form of settlement at Rathgall in the early centuries A.D. is established by the discovery of a decorated bronze strap-end of sub-Roman type, while late thirteenth century silver coins and green-glazed pottery indicate a fairly intensive occupation during the Mediaeval period.
* Antiquity 44, 1970, 51-54
Mr. Barry Raftery, Department of Archaeology/U.C.D.
http://www.excavations.ie/Pages/Deta...icklow&id=5443
Thanks from:
19-01-2012, 12:33   #22
sensibleken
Closed Account

Quote:
yes i believe the strap was the type used on armour no?
19-01-2012, 13:02   #23
slowburner

Don't know to be honest but would 'sub-Roman' indicate that it was not actually Roman? Possibly more a copy of a Roman strap?
Either way it was not given much attention, methinks
19-01-2012, 14:02   #24
CDfm
Closed Account

Quote:

Could you estimate this by wars or incursions that are recorded ??

Cornwall & Devon are mentioned here.

And would stuff like later monasteries etc give a clue to where contact existed.

It makes sense that people traveled to and from places that they were familiar with.
Advertisement
19-01-2012, 17:03   #25
dubhthach

Regarding Wales and Cornwall. Here are two maps showing Ogham stone distrubition in Wales and in the West country (Cornwall+Devon)

there's quite abit of Ogham stones in South-West Wales in the area that later became the "Kingdom of Dyfed".
19-01-2012, 18:26   #26
CDfm
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Maybe it was too far west? Are maybe they couldn't get? I'm not sure but i bet its something to do with that.
I was in the Canaries a few years back and a tour guide told us that pre Columbus the Spanish believed the islands and the Maderias were at the edge of the world.

That earth is flat idea came from somewhere.

There is a bit of what would be the point of invading Ireland for the Roman's.

Now I do not know how reliable this guy is but look at this map

He seems to say that is was the Irish who colonised Britain.
19-01-2012, 19:12   #27
dubhthach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDfm View Post
I was in the Canaries a few years back and a tour guide told us that pre Columbus the Spanish believed the islands and the Maderias were at the edge of the world.

That earth is flat idea came from somewhere.

There is a bit of what would be the point of invading Ireland for the Roman's.

Now I do not know how reliable this guy is but look at this map

He seems to say that is was the Irish who colonised Britain.
I think his point is more that there are groups in Ireland who are also found in Britain and Gaul. For example the Domnainn and Belgae were both in Southern Britain (West Country) -- from whom we have the Fir Domnann and potentially the name "Fir Bolg".

Of course Erris in Mayo is known as "Iorras Domnann" in Irish, and if ye believe the semi-mytholigical writings the Fir Domnann were one of three components of the Laighin.
Thanks from:
19-01-2012, 19:21   #28
CDfm
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubhthach View Post
I think his point is more that there are groups in Ireland who are also found in Britain and Gaul. For example the Domnainn and Belgae were both in Southern Britain (West Country) -- from whom we have the Fir Domnann and potentially the name "Fir Bolg".
I am not very familiar with that era. Were the tribes united or had they been beaten in Europe & Britain ?

Conquering & subduing a semi nomadic tribe is a bit different to a town is it not ?

Last edited by CDfm; 19-01-2012 at 19:23.
19-01-2012, 19:33   #29
slowburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubhthach View Post

Of course Erris in Mayo is known as "Iorras Domnann" in Irish, and if ye believe the semi-mytholigical writings the Fir Domnann were one of three components of the Laighin.
Oddly enough, Iorras Domhnann is where Tuathal Teachtmar is reputed to have landed.
Quote:
Tuathal was twenty-five years of age at that time. And they put into port at Iorrus Domhnann, where they met Fiachaidh Casan with his brother. Thence they proceeded to Tara, and there assembled their supporters from all parts of Ireland to meet Tuathal, and they proclaimed him king of Ireland.....Then Tuathal and his supporters went against the Athachthuaith throughout Ireland, and defeated them in twenty-five battles in Ulster, and twenty-five battles in Leinster, and twenty-five battles in Connaught, and thirty-five battles in Munster.
http://http://www.ucc.ie/celt/online/T100054/text049.html
19-01-2012, 20:50   #30
dubhthach

Quote:
Oddly enough, Iorras Domhnann is where Tuathal Teachtmar is reputed to have landed.
http://http://www.ucc.ie/celt/online/T100054/text049.html
What's interesting about Tuathal Teachtmar is he's titular ancestor of the Connachta/Uí Néill. His story of course tells of how his mother fled back to her father (King of Alba -- at this time it probably meant Britain not scotland) while pregnant with him and that he later returned with an army to reclaim his rightfull inheritance (The High-Kingship).

There are several stories of this variety, some have argued that what they serve is as a means to writing in an "invading group" into the history by subsuming them. so in case of Tuathal he wasn't invading he was returning.

Anyways what's interesting about the Connachta/Uí Néill is they have a distinct SNP that marks them as a subclade within L21. ergo they are L21+ DF23+ M222+

Men bearing this signature are also found in Northern England/Lowland Scotland. The current evidence points to higher variation in samples form there thus potentially and older sample population. DF23 is recently enough discovered and there is at least one cluster from South-West England/Wales that is L21+ DF23+ M222-

The potential implications thus are a migratory process up through island of Britain, the first occurrence of M222+ probably in Northern Britain followed by migration of some carriers into Ireland. From which they spread and multiplied such that 1 in 6 of every Donegal men are carriers.

Some have even ventured as a result that the Veniiconnes which Ptomley put in Northern Britain as been a connection. After all another name for the Connachta is the Dál Cuinn

Veni is cognate with old Irish Féni (V -> F in Goidelic). Some have argued (O'Rahilly I believe?) of course that Conn was potentially a tribal deity and not a real person.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion