Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #29 - Baldshin

Options
  • 14-01-2012 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is Baldshin.

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed.
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

If you would like to take part in this and you're not already on the list, please post here and I'll add you to the queue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What has been your favourite album out in 2011?
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Malice wrote: »
    What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

Embarrassingly,I got into rock and metal from attending a wrestling event aged 11 or so! I heard enter sandman,and kid rock-bawitdaba and my interest was grabbed. I soon borrowed a Pantera CD and that was me converted!

I think I might have done a search for something metal related to find this place,and I check in on here every day since.

I come back herehpping to find new stuff I might like,for example,I've become big in to Dan Swano since reading about him on here!

When not rocking out,I work in a cinema.I like messing around with and collecting gadgets as well as making bits of music.

I think the album that had the greatest influence on me was Reroute to Remain by In Flames.not their best,but it was the heaviest thing I'd ever heard to that point,and led to them becoming my all time favourite band.

My username is a description of me,for some bizarre reason I don't grow hair from about half way down my lower leg,its crazy smoothed and weird looking!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

baldshin wrote: »
    Embarrassingly,I got into rock and metal from attending a wrestling event aged 11 or so! I heard enter sandman,and kid rock-bawitdaba and my interest was grabbed. I soon borrowed a Pantera CD and that was me converted!
    Following on from this; do you still like wrestling? From the sound of it, it could have been an ECW show (only wrestler I know to use Enter Sandman was The Sandman from ECW...)

If you do, who is your current favourite wrestlers? If not, who were some of your favourites back then?

Denny M wrote: »
    What has been your favourite album out in 2011?
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

Favourite album of 2011, by a distance,was Sounds of a Playground Fading by In Flames. I had been disappointed by the previous few albums, and was sceptical as to what the new sound would be without Jesper in the band, but it has quickly become one of my most regularly played albums.

I don't know why, and I get a lot of grief from my manager in work for this, but I really hate Pearl Jam! I've tried, but Vedders voice just does my head in!

Other sections of boards I visit are bargain alerts(has cost me a lot of money!), soccer, tattoos and piercings, galway city and of course after hours!

I much prefer metal over rock, and my favourite sub genre is probably melodic death metal.

Hmm 5 new drinking buddies.... Dave Grohl, the man is a hero! Jesper Stromblad(despite his alcohol problems!), Micahael Ammott, Phil Anselmo and Daniel Svensson.

My dream gig would have In Flames, Rammstein, Pantera and Lamb of God....not sure many would survive that injury free!

I do like all of the big 4, but Megadeth are my favourite by a distance. I've seen them maybe 6 times now, and still love the new material. I once flew from seeing them at Download, back to Dublin and on to Cork and arrived just as they hit the stage for an amazing gig!

The last album to properly let me down was probably the last August Burns Red release, I just don't have the admiration for it that I've given their other stuff.

• Advertisement

Denny M wrote: »
    Following on from this; do you still like wrestling? From the sound of it, it could have been an ECW show (only wrestler I know to use Enter Sandman was The Sandman from ECW...)

If you do, who is your current favourite wrestlers? If not, who were some of your favourites back then?

You're right, it was one of ECWs last shows I think, in New York! I stopped watching maybe 9 or 10 years ago and am very out of touch, though myself and my older brother went to an event in Castlebar 3 or so years ago just to meet Bret Hart and Tatanka! I used to love Rob Van Dam, Chris Jericho and Steve Austin!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

You listed Lamb of God as one of the bands in your dream line up, what is it about them that you like and which of their albumbs do you think is their best and why?

p.s Steve Austin was one of my fave wrestlers too back in the day, the big redneck!

You listed Lamb of God as one of the bands in your dream line up, what is it about them that you like and which of their albumbs do you think is their best and why?

p.s Steve Austin was one of my fave wrestlers too back in the day, the big redneck!

I love the aggression and technicality of logs music, they're probably the most balls out metal band on the scene IMO. My favourite album is As the Palaces Burn, its just so raw sounding and in your face! The latest album is a huge return to form after sacrament and wrath too, have to catch them in Dublin or at a festival again this year!

Kudos on the Austin love haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Do you listen to any music genres outside rock/metal?
    do you play any instruments? And, if you could instantly pick up any instrument what would it be?
    Any albums you consider underrated by well known bands?

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Do you listen to any music genres outside rock/metal?
    do you play any instruments? And, if you could instantly pick up any instrument what would it be?
    Any albums you consider underrated by well known bands?

I listen to a lot of electronic and dubstep too, and I can often be prone to a bit of pop!

I play guitar but I'm not great.used to play in a metal band, and was a much better player than I am now! I would love to be able to master the piano, if you can master that you have a great foundation to build from learning other instruments.

I'd consider a lot of cradle of filths last few albums to be a bit underrated. They've just fallen off the map despite releasing some solid stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

(not sure if this was asked buuuuut)
    what would you consider to be the worst aspects of the metal genre/scene?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

I never get embarrassed by the music I listen to, though I can see how some people would be afraid to mention particular songs. What's the most embarrassing - or could be construed as embarrassing - song you would have to fight a corner for?

Elrollo wrote: »
    (not sure if this was asked buuuuut)
    what would you consider to be the worst aspects of the metal genre/scene?

I think the worst aspects, to me anyway, are the elitist opinions and egos that exist in metal. Many people are quick to dismiss a band because they're not heavy enough etc, But we need to remember that we're part of a wider community and need to stick together, we all started ff listening to bands we'd cringe about now! Don't tell me we all haven't rocked out to Limp Bizkit....

viadah wrote: »
    I never get embarrassed by the music I listen to, though I can see how some people would be afraid to mention particular songs. What's the most embarrassing - or could be construed as embarrassing - song you would have to fight a corner for?

Hmm tough question, probably some Linkin Park or Limp Bizkit song I used to love! More recently, I've been defending Spastic Hawk by The Rubberbandits...It's a tune!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

any song ever totally change your opinion of a band?

any song ever totally change your opinion of a band?

Van Halen- Tattoo......criiiiinge!

Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    Do you dress like a metalhead?
    What was the last album that you bought?
    Which artists have inspired/influenced you as a musician?
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?
    Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?
    What was your favourite gig this year?
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?
    What in your opinion is the best debut album of all time
    If you could erase one band from existence, who would it be?

Malice wrote: »
    Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    Do you dress like a metalhead?
    What was the last album that you bought?
    Which artists have inspired/influenced you as a musician?
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?
    Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?
    What was your favourite gig this year?
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?
    What in your opinion is the best debut album of all time
    If you could erase one band from existence, who would it be?

Most famous musician I've met is probably Jonathan Davis from Korn, met him at my first ever gig in 2002 after my best friend won VIP tickets, it was epic! Have also met In Flames, Children of Bodom, August Burns Red, Unearth and a few more I think.

Biggest idiot in metal, hmm can't think of any in the metal scene, so I'm gonna answer Axl Rose for rock!

Haha delighted I got asked about my favourite metal babe, any excuse to do some googling! Gotta be Alissa White Gluz from The Agonist.....my GOD!
    http://www.ladiesofrock.com/Alissa_White_Gluz_Agonist_Picture_2.jpg

I don't really dress like a metalhead anymore though I do have my fair share of metal t shirts that get regular wear. I used to rock the whole hoodie and baggy jeans thing and cringe when I think of it now. I have a bit of ink to that I believe shows my love of metal.

The last album I bought was Resolution by Lamb of God, and I'm loving it. I don't buy as many cds as I used to, but when I hear something I love after downloading, I go out and buy it.

As a musician, I would say James Hetfield has been my biggest influence, whenever I pick up a guitar the first thing I do is mess around palm muting an open e string and riffing out!

My favourite artwork is either Sounds of a Playground Fading or Reroute to Remain by In Flames. I have a half sleeve tattoo based on the Reroute to Remain art and am planning some stuff from SOAPF for my side, can't wait!

Not sure what the genre is called, but I hate when a band lures me in with some cool heavy riffs and screaming vocals, only to have a crap whiney voiced chorus! Escape the Fate for example!

Not been to a gig this year, but my favourite last year was the Devin Townsend Project in the Academy, it was awesome! Sonishere was equally epic!

Looking forward to Lamb of God this year, either in Dublin or at a festival, as well as Rammstein and Amon Amarth. On a non metal note, I'm quite excited to see Nero in the Academy too.

I try to keep up to date with the Irish scene, I think my picks of the moment would be McGalligog, Censura but most notably Murdock, I think they could genuinely go far.

All time favourite band is In Flames and has been for about 10 years now, can't get enough of them.

My favourite asect of the scene is the sense of community, and comradery, particularly at gigs and festivals. Everyone is there for beer and music, and as such there's rarely trouble or conflict. I do hate the elitism that exists however, that some bands are crap if they don't conform to certain stereotypes.

I might get killed for this, but I just don't get Mastodon or Machine Head.....sorry!!

Best debut album of all time.....maybe Dimension Zero- Silent Night Fever, great album! Closely followed by Wintersun- Wintersun.

If I could erase one band it would be Kings of Leon...hate them, I mean I REALLY HATE them!

baldshin wrote: »
    Alissa White Gluz from The Agonist.....my GOD!
    Good choice :)

Alissa_White_Gluz_Agonist_Picture_2.jpg

Whatever about her looks, her vocals are absolutely fantastic too. It's a pity The Agonist haven't done a whole lot. This is probably my favourite song of theirs:

Any more questions there folks?

Thanks to everyone that posted questions and to baldshin for answering them. The next installment of In The Pit is here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement