Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #30 - 120_Minutes

Options
  • 05-02-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is 120_Minutes.

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed.
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

If you would like to take part in this and you're not already on the list, please post here and I'll add you to the queue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What has been your favourite album out in 2011?
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Do you listen to any music outside of rock/metal?
    Do you play any instruments & what instrument would you love to be able to pick up and play instantly?
    Any albums by well known bands you feel are underrated?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Malice wrote: »
    What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?

I was of national school leaving age in the late 80's, and typically listened to stuff that was popular at the time, Bon jovi, queen, def leppard, dire straights. Stuff that would get passed around on C90's (ask your dad, kids!) when you lived in the country.. It wasn't until 1991 when metallicas black album, pearl jams ten and nirvanas nevermind came out when I knew what kind of music I wanted to listen to. What keeps me coming back is that I like listening to music that rewards repeated listens and not many other genres give you that.

How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?

I joined in 2001 to post on a different forum, and on my travels around the boards found this one.
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?

Wide range of topics within the rock/metal spectrum and the posts of a "knuckle dragging" variety are at a minimum.
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?

I enjoy a pint, I enjoy a spliff, I play the odd videogame, I go to gigs when time and money allows, and I play a bit of bass. And watch a bit of telly.
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?

Tough one, any of the three mentioned above as that's what got me into music, and a few years later I heard aenima by tool, that was another milestone. They are my favourite band to this day. They just... I dunno resonated with me.
    Where did your username come from?

MTV used to have an alternative music show by that name. They dropped it for a few years and at the same time I was doing a two hour show on a pirate radio station, so I called it....

Denny M wrote: »
    What has been your favourite album out in 2011?

I'm ashamed to say I didn't seek out much new music in 2011, but I did enjoy heritage by opeth.
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)

Hmmm I don't really hate anyone, or at least I can't think of anyone right now. There are some bands/genres I cant take seriously like manowar or black metal, but hate? Nahh.... But I might come back to you on that one.
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    After hours, apple media devices, and television would get most of my posts.
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?

I started off with thrash metal, then grunge, then hard rock, then indie, then a bit of nu metal, then prog, then early djent, then contemporary prog. I still love a bit of them all! My current fave is contemporary prog.
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?

I've been lucky enough to drink with a few famous people already, but given the choice, it would be: dimebag (rip) cliff burton (rip) Justin chancellor Brian Johnson and guy Pratt.
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?

A three day festival, and in no particular order, and reanimating some corpses

Day one: old school
    Metallica (with cliff)
    Megadeth
    Pantera (never got to see em)
    Ratm
    White zombie
    Ac/dc
    Rush
    Faith no more

Day two: grunge
    Alice in chains
    Pearl jam
    Stone temple pilots
    Soundgarden
    Temple of the dog
    Nirvana (never got to see em)

Day three: modern prog/misc
    Karnivool
    Opeth
    Porcupine tree
    Cog
    Dead letter circus
    Butterfly effect

Along with my favourite unsigned bands opening up on all days.
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?

Metallica. They got me into thrash, even if they're a shadow of their former selves with their current output, followed by megadeth followed by bush era anthrax. I'm not a huge slayer fan.
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

I'm past expecting huge things from albums anymore, in case I'm let down, but I was hoping death magnetic would have been better than it was, but at least it was better than saint anger.

• Advertisement

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Do you listen to any music outside of rock/metal?

Yes, when I was younger I hated some genres but now I can find something to like in everything.... Even country! I like electronica (ESP ambient) some pop.. ESP 80s stuff, some indie.... I'll give everything a chance, cept for x factor stuff.
    Do you play any instruments & what instrument would you love to be able to pick up and play instantly?

I play guitar adequately, and bass proficiently, and can keep a beat on drums. I'd love to have learned piano as it would have given me a better understanding of music theory and would have improved my ability on other instruments. I played in an original melodic rock/metal band in Dublin around the turn of the errr century. We self released some stuff and were played on phantom for a while,
    Any albums by well known bands you feel are underrated?

I can give you plenty of underrated bands, but and an underrated album by a well known band? Hmmmm I'd have to say far beyond driven by pantera. Almost everyone goes for vulgar, but I'd go as far as saying FBD is a better album, IMO every tracks a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Do you also think of the Testament song "Into The Pit" everytime you see one of these threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Any bands that you feel missed the boat when it came to having the opportunity to release something great? (to rephrase the question for clarity: Were there any bands that you think were on the verge of something amazing but fell apart before they could do it, or an unsigned band that just waited too long trying to perfect their craft and now the height of their popularity has long passed.)

Nailz wrote: »
    Do you also think of the Testament song "Into The Pit" everytime you see one of these threads?

Thank Christ, I'm not the only one then.

Numina wrote: »
    Any bands that you feel missed the boat when it came to having the opportunity to release something great? (to rephrase the question for clarity: Were there any bands that you think were on the verge of something amazing but fell apart before they could do it, or an unsigned band that just waited too long trying to perfect their craft and now the height of their popularity has long passed.)

Good question, In hindsight I loved the band I was in, but we took too long to do anything, and there's an unreleased ep in the vault somewhere that I haven't heard since we recorded it over 6 years ago, but I'm not really on speaking terms with the band member who has the master tracks, or even if they still exist.

Ironically, there's a friends band who have a stormer of a second album ready to drop but circumstances beyond their control may force them to put touring behind it on hold for a year, and they've been sitting on it for a year as it is. Which is a pity, as they've never sounded so good and should strike while the iron is hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

As the local scene moves on through the years, have you noticed an appreciable improvement over the years or is it a case of same ****, different day?

viadah wrote: »
    As the local scene moves on through the years, have you noticed an appreciable improvement over the years or is it a case of same ****, different day?

I spent the guts of today trying to answer this, and really, there will always be ****e, and there'll always be gold. I do think there's no originality anymore. Mention a band, any band and someone can name another band that sounds like them....

Except maybe adebishi shank*

In any genre 1% of the unsigned bands are worth listening to, but sometimes they're not the ones being listened to, and really, the Irish metal scene is still Dublin (or possibly Belfast) and I've been out of the loop there for about 5 years....so hey what do I know?

The Irish will always be told what to listen to by foreign markets and trends, it's a fact of life. Djent seems to be the genre of choice for up and coming twenty something metal bands, or at the other end the post rock instrumental buzz...but it's late and I'm rambling.

*im about to be proven wrong aren't I.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

If you could share a chat or a drink with your favorite rock/metal musician who would it be and why (living or dead is allowed)?

Would you care to share a story of when you went to a gig just to see the support?

You mentioned your love of bands like Def Leppard, Queen and Bon Jovi because of the tastes of the day - do you still like any of the bands you liked as a younger man - keeping in mind their continued output?

If you could share a chat or a drink with your favorite rock/metal musician who would it be and why (living or dead is allowed)?

Would you care to share a story of when you went to a gig just to see the support?

You mentioned your love of bands like Def Leppard, Queen and Bon Jovi because of the tastes of the day - do you still like any of the bands you liked as a younger man - keeping in mind their continued output?

A joint with cliff burton, and a black tooth grin with dimebag. Needs no explanation really? Cliff moreso as there's a lack of interviews with him, and he seemed like a closet intellectual.

I went to see sikth supporting ackercocke, just to see sikth. I also went to see biffy clyro and oceansize support cooper temple clause. I had zero interest in the headliners but hung around to have a few drinks and meet the bands. I will go to gigs to see support acts if I'm a big fan, or sometimes the support will be a decider if I'm a bit "meh" on the headliner.

I liked queen up to the time freddy died. And I've been a fan of tool since 93 and a huge fan since 96. Tool haven't really put a foot wrong yet, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I went to see sikth supporting ackercocke, just to see sikth. I also went to see biffy clyro and oceansize support cooper temple clause. I had zero interest in the headliners but hung around to have a few drinks and meet the bands. I will go to gigs to see support acts if I'm a big fan, or sometimes the support will be a decider if I'm a bit "meh" on the headliner.

When was that and why wasn't I informed?

Also, if you re-live one gig, as in fully experience it again, what one would you choose?

And are there any you regret missing out on?

Mushy wrote: »
    When was that and why wasn't I informed?

Also, if you re-live one gig, as in fully experience it again, what one would you choose?

And are there any you regret missing out on?

Sikth? god, it was between the first and second albums anyway, the biffy oceasize was when they were touring infinity land (glitter and trauma, what an opener!)

as for your second question, hmmmm tough. the first time i'd seen an band that are special to me. Tool in the SFX in '01 Rage at oxegen (although i'd have preferred to not see them for the first time at a festival) or Faith no more at the olympia. all those gig were special not just for the fact it was my first time seeing them, but also the people i shared it with.

I regret never having seen Pantera, Nirvana, or being old enough to see metallica with Cliff. Some of the aussie bands that i like that have never played over here, that have since split (eg COG) too.

Found my old bands MySpace page, if you want to listen

Link

Bear in mind those songs are 10 years old now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

What is your favourite double-album?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Any more questions for 120 Minutes? I'll leave it open until Monday, if there's no more questions we'll move on to our next participant.

Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    Do you dress like a metalhead?
    What was the last album that you bought?
    Which artists have inspired/influenced you as a musician?
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?
    Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?
    What was your favourite gig this year?
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?
    What in your opinion is the best debut album of all time
    If you could erase one band from existence, who would it be?

• Advertisement

Leave it open, I'll answer malice later on tonight when errr doobed* up and opinionated!

*dont do drugs kids.

keith16 wrote: »
    What is your favourite double-album?

hmmmm i prefer if bands take their best stuff and put it on one album, but i susspose garage inc or use your illusion would be up there.
    Malice wrote: »
    Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    Do you dress like a metalhead?
    What was the last album that you bought?
    Which artists have inspired/influenced you as a musician?
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?
    Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?
    What was your favourite gig this year?
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?
    What in your opinion is the best debut album of all time
    If you could erase one band from existence, who would it be?

aha! my chance to brag. i've met (in no order)
    Gene Hoglan (death/syl)
    Devin Townsend
    Chad Smith (rhcp)
    Nick Oliveri & Joey Castillo (qotsa)
    Taylor Hawkins
    Nigel Pulsford (bush)
    Rick Allen (def leppard)
    Biffy Clyro
    Oceansize
    Mike McKeegan (therapy?)
    Pete Steele (type O)
    Adam Jones & Justin Chancellor (tool)
    Cyclefly
    Fear Factory
    Jared Leto
    Scott Gorham & John Sykes
    Lost Prophets

and i'm sure a few more, so pick any of those you like!

Idiot, hmmm axl is up there. james hetfield around st anger was just a cock. Also, I dont think he's an idiot, but I've no desire to meet Maynard James Keenan of tool when he's out working with tool, i've heard he can be a real prick to you unless you're a hot young one (i have proof of this, thats a story for another day) but i watched his wine documentary recently and he comes across well in it. so if i happened to be in arizona buying wine and i ran into him, i'd say he's allright.

I'm not a fan of when bands employ the "token hot chick' (usually on bass) trick....but its forgiven is she can play (not play well for a girl, play well full stop). I dont listen to a lot of modern bands with females, but based on looks alone (ooo how shallow) Melissa Auf De Mar, and the two bass players from coal chamber. I dunno, i usually find hotter women in the audience than onstage.

I dont really dress like a metalhead. I'm 36!! but i dont dress like a 36 year old either. hoodies/tees/jeans are the order of the day.

The last record i bought was my friends "mike got spiked" second album "no is not an answer, and its a stormer. heres the first video off it

the last record i "obtained" was birds of tokyo's self titled. its more indie, but they share a singer with Karnivool, and its a great album. I think Ian Kenny is one of the finest rock singers of the past decade:

Influences/inspiriations:

Tool
    Metallica (cliff and jason!)
    Megadeth
    Pantera
    Guns & Roses
    Pearl Jam
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Wes Borland
    Les Claypool
    Thin Lizzy
    .........................for starters.

Artwork: Tool's lateralus or 10,000 days. Love it.

Not a fan of black/doom/scandinavian stuff (unless its meshuggah!)

Only been to one gig this year so far, and that was the Type O negative tribute bloody kisses, because they're mates and i've been meaning to see them.

I've just been asked today if i want to go to see the stone roses in amsterdam in june. I was never really into them when i was younger (even though i saw them in 95) but i like them now, so i'm giving it some thought.

I kinda keep up to date with the scene, but not as much as 5 years ago, and a lot of the bands i liked then are gone. but some current up and comers:

mike got spiked mentioned above, i go way back with these guys, producer, engineer, roadie, fill in bassist. these guys are great.

Kaper Rosa instrumental post rock/prog from belfast, i'm checking these guys out in cork tomorrow night, actually add that to a gig i'm looking forward to!

Kill Goliath Irish ex-pats now based in london, again, its indie on the prog side, which i love.

there a re plenty of others out there, Pure Grief for stars (3/5 of dublin band primed) who are supporting Hawkwind here in the summer, Lafaro, I'd fight ghandi... there are plenty of bands to be found.

All time favourite band? Tool.

my favourite aspect is also my least favourite.... its on the fringe. never to be accepted as mainstream.... but i also dont want it to be y'know? i also hate the knuckle dragging types that metal brings out, everyone knows one. "i'm only allowed to listen to METAL GRRRRR" but i dont really hang out with those types.

There are plenty of bands with millions of fans i dont get. ****ing insane clown posse for one! but with how the music industry works, its no surprise. its the jedi mind trick of music.

debut? oh ****. i cant pick one. Kill 'em all? no Pearl Jam's Ten? no.... theres a better one....but for the sake of picking one i'll pick that. No! RATM!! that'll do.

I'd hate to see any band wiped from existence, but just to piss people off, can i put manowar into room 101 please?

Any more questions there folks? If not we'll finally move on to the next person tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone that posted questions and to 120_Minutes for answering them. The next installment of In The Pit is here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement