Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A/R/T weight loss Jan-Apr 3rd

• 10-01-2012 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭

I'm going to have a look at the google docs thingy tomorrow for our table but no reason why we can't use a table now till we get it sorted. Robinph is on holidays so it might take me a while to figure out unless someone else wants to have a pop
    Now unlike those on the fitness forum we will have guideline and not rules as those training for larger races have different needs and a naughty reward can help focus us towards finishing that extra mile etc in training or a race.

Also there is no point doing anything today that you can't see yourself doing in 6 months or a year. We are all trying to create a new us and some lifestyle changes will get us there quicker than a list of RULES !

So we'll weigh in each tuesday and try to do it at the same time each week. As in morning or evening.

We'll ask you to post at the start with a short bio, fitness goal and starting weight in total pounds.

Then a weekly update with starting weight and current and how your week went training wise etc. We'll then do a table each week showing how all are doing ( not a leaderboard as this isn't the biggest loser )

Also you must measure each week as muscle weighs more than fat and if you lose fat and replace it with muscle you can gain on the sacle but lose inches off your body. We'll just do 2 inches updates in the middle and at the end.

Below you'll find some help on measuring, how to prepare and on diet ( these are thanks to g'ems )

How to Prepare
    Measurement Guidelines
    Diet I
    Diet II
    Diet III

You may want to reference the Fitness:The Basics (Incl Diet and Nutrition) thread aswell as it's another great thread put together by the fitness forum guys. Transform has some good videos on that thread too which might have people more inclined to follow the no junk food guideline.

Here are the guidelines

1. eat healthy - take the healthy option when possible
    2. keep well hydrated
    3. keep a food diary and read labels on food to see what in your food.
    2. exercise and prepare properly for your race
    3. Limited booze, junk food and caffine
    4. don't starve yourself the day of/before a weigh in
    5. Measure your body as you can stay the same on the scales but can loose inches
    6. Weigh yourself at the same day and time each week were possible as your weight can change a lot during the day.
    7. Your only in competition with yourself so jut because someone loses 2 pounds more than you don't get down over it.
    8. Never mind "no pain no gain".......i rather "no effort to gain"
    9. Share youe experiences, good and bad. They can help others and we can help you.

So let the fun begin !

You can join in anytime over the peroid and remember your doing this for yourself in the long run ( excuse the pun )
    Here you go... Hopefully it's editable by all.

Weight Loss Google Doc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Weight Loss Google Doc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Weight Loss Google Doc

Cheers for that, seems to be working fine.

Woddle wrote: »
    Cheers for that, seems to be working fine.

I'll add another couples of column in tomorrow to calculate weight and inches lost.

I suppose I could do the vdot one too if there's been no volunteers. Or I could continue to pretend I don't understand computers :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I wanted to make it look prettier. :)

I'll add another couples of column in tomorrow to calculate weight and inches lost.

I suppose I could do the vdot one too if there's been no volunteers. Or I could continue to pretend I don't understand computers :D

Please do the vdot :D

• Advertisement

I wanted to make it look prettier. :)

Yes more blue please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I'm in. Started around Dec 12th at 182lbs, currently 177lbs and target is 150lbs for May 28th. Height is 5'10", current status... FAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Count me in again. I'm aiming to get down to 9 stone for my first triathlon in April so the timing is perfect:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

I'll pimp it up for ya. My google doc are a bit ott but we will see how I get on with it. ok done. don't edit column E,K,N,O as they auto update. if you have a question pm me.

rom wrote: »
    I'll pimp it up for ya. My google doc are a bit ott but we will see how I get on with it. ok done. don't edit column E,K,N,O as they auto update. if you have a question pm me.

Looks excellent.

• Advertisement

I can put in bmi calc if you want. In this format I can graph it with the weight loss being on a single huge graph with a line per person like this http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_F24IZvIkLOI/TFmBMR5cjiI/AAAAAAAAAxg/qV6Gp5sRACc/s1600/multiple+line+chart+output.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I'm in, currently 196lbs. Long term aim is DCM in October where i hope to be 180lbs if at all possible. Short term aim is a 10 miler in March in Donegal and pb.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

Think I need to get back to this, put a stone back on since DCM :eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

That's the prettiest google doc yet. :) Well Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Count me in! I'm 54.8kg but only 5'1" so really want to get down to 51kg. Didn't lose 1 pound while marathon training, taking way too much advantage of eating when hungry which was all the time! So want to be lighter for this years challenges of PBs in 5k, 10k, Half Marathon & DCM.

Hopefully this well help keep me on the straight and narrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

rom wrote: »
    I can put in bmi calc if you want. In this format I can graph it with the weight loss being on a single huge graph with a line per person like this http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_F24IZvIkLOI/TFmBMR5cjiI/AAAAAAAAAxg/qV6Gp5sRACc/s1600/multiple+line+chart+output.jpg

Not a fan of BMI, i know of pro athletes that are considered overweight if they go by it............including the Irish rugby captain:rolleyes:

I can't see google doc in work:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

I'm in... may help with motivation

Current weight 15st 1lb.... 211 lbs. Want to get down to 13 stone.
    Goal is a do a number of triathlons during the summer, and improve my times from last season. Also want to run 2:50 in DCT at the end of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Pixie Girl

Count me in! Slowly but surely getting back into the running after too long of a break, my fitness goal is to complete the half marathon in Limerick in May and my starting weight is 146lbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Im in. Was 198 at the start of the year 196 this morning.
    Too much late night snacking is my downfall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I'm in there like swimwear.

Goal is to hit 85kg by April/May.

Was 90kg on Dec 1st, now 95kg. Someone cleary was feeding me in my sleep over Christmas :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alanm

I'm in again too. I started the first challenge weighing about 217, starting this one at 185. Aiming to get down to 175 by the end - every lb down will hopefully make the marathon that little bit easier..

Let us know the goal your currently working towards.

Its Connamarathon for me and a smaller belly for a wetsuit:D

Looks excellent.
    Did a little more work on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

I'm in again :D Currently at 74.8 kg. The goal is to get to about 73, decreasing BF from current 10% to 8%. With fair amount of strength training the weight may as well go up a bit, but I'm more interested in BF% drop.

My own challenge has started in August 2010 at 88kg :eek:

Think I will weight :) until after holidays to start this which start tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Connemara Ultra - my favourite race.

Connemara Ultra - my favourite race.

Great, i just booked my b&b for the night before it myself. It'll be my 2nd marathon !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Ok i am going to go in too though at the bottom end of the athlete scale...

Aim is 10k in May...time not important but under 1 hr will be a result for me,never ran further than 4 mile.
    Hoping this will keep me focused..

Height 5' 11"
    Weight 100kg (started 1.5 years ago at 125 kg's)
    Waist,have to wait for the missus to measure it later!!

• Advertisement

Berlin half marathon for me on April 1st, a bit of an ambitious goal time aswell but in truth it's all about shedding the weight and building a base for the track season. I can't wait to tackle the 800/1500m.

dahat wrote: »
    Ok i am going to go in too though at the bottom end of the athlete scale...

Aim is 10k in May...time not important but under 1 hr will be a result for me,never ran further than 4 mile.
    Hoping this will keep me focused..

Height 5' 11"
    Weight 100kg (started 1.5 years ago at 125 kg's)
    Waist,have to wait for the missus to measure it later!!

Hey everyone has to start !

You'll get as much positive vibes finishing out of that 10k the i will out of finishing the marathon.

I'm roughly the same weight and started at 118kg so i know where your coming from.

Start a training log and you'll get lots of help along the way.

Berlin half marathon for me on April 1st, a bit of an ambitious goal time aswell but in truth it's all about shedding the weight and building a base for the track season. I can't wait to tackle the 800/1500m.

All my time following your log and i still don't know your goal time:o

Dumb ass question but how do i save my info on the document?
    These things are beyond me :o

Whoops,sorted now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

Dumb ass question but how do i save my info on the document?
    These things are beyond me :o
    it's saved automatically :)

All my time following your log and i still don't know your goal time:o

I wasn't shouting it too loudly but I'm hoping for a sub 1:30, coach was very confident of this happening about 5 weeks ago but after a bout of sickness and a few sub par weeks he's still confident but has advised no more missed days :D

• Advertisement

That's the prettiest google doc yet. :) Well Done!

If you like pretty :) have a look at my training log template. Its taken a life of its own.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Alh6ofJoLlpTdGRrWmZudlQ0S0FpdFFQMFFVU3htWEE&hl=en_GB#gid=40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Goal:

IM 70.3 Galway in sub 5 hours*

*providing my body doesn't fall apart in the meantime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Currently 13 and a half stone. Aim to be down to 12 and a half max by DCM in October and run it under 4 hours (maybe quicker depending on training between now and then...)

My aim is to do a weight loss challenge this year and not be the heaviest on the list :D

But in reality I want to be under the hundred mark by the end of the year and 105kg by the end of this challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

My ultimate goal this year is a sub 4 in DCM.

Shorter term goals are

5k 22:XX
    10k 46:XX
    HM. 1:45:XX

Just coming back from injury so taking it slow but really enjoying getting out there again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Goals: Try to get back into some sort of shape. Complete Challenge Roth in under 10 hrs.

Present weight 174lbs
    Target 160lbs by start June.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

My aim is to do a weight loss challenge this year and not be the heaviest on the list :D

That should keep me on my toes so;)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Hi
    I'm currently 134lbs (going by 1st thing in morning weight) and I aim to get down to 126lbs.
    Goals for the year are to break 49mins for 10k and 22.50 for 5k. Would love to do DCM as well if training goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

ok time to get focused...haven't being running in over two weeks due to check infection and have put on a couple of lbs...starting weight 174.8 lbs...overall target 160lbs....this challenge target is 165lbs

running goals for this year.....
    10K - would love 52.00 current PB is 54.00
    5k - would love 24.00 current PB is 25.38
    10m - would love 90.00 current PB is 92.12
    13.1 - would love 1.55.00 current PB is 1.57.00
    26.2 - would love 4.15.00 current PB is 4.26.7

Going to a spinning class tomorrow night to compliment my running,low impact on my joints so hoping once weekly will aid my weight loss.

Did my 4k run last night,weekly winter series,hit 21.06 which is a PB for me,started out after injury with 23.38 on Nov 2nd. I am hoping my injury woes are done and hope to bring a level of improvement to spring/summer running/...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Target race at the min is a 10km in letterkenny on the may bank holiday. I am starting at 193.8 pounds and if i got down to anything below 175 lbs by the end of this challenge i would be very happy

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

I'm hoping to be down to 82KG by the end of the challenge. I am currently just over 89KG. I am entered for the Wicklow half marathon on the 25th of March so i would like to have lost most of the weight by then.

Going to a spinning class tomorrow night to compliment my running,low impact on my joints so hoping once weekly will aid my weight loss.

Did my 4k run last night,weekly winter series,hit 21.06 which is a PB for me,started out after injury with 23.38 on Nov 2nd. I am hoping my injury woes are done and hope to bring a level of improvement to spring/summer running/...

How was the spinning ?

How was the spinning ?

Passed it up for a LSR (5mile ish,9.30-10 min mile pace) tomorrow morning as i have never done it before and they tell me i will be sore after it.
    Also as i haven't run since Wednesday so i need to get out really as i have a meet and train group on a Monday and i need to have a rest day before that!
    A bit long winded but i will get to one and looking at my plan it will be on Thursdays because it suits best with my running timetable....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Im hoping to do my first triathlon this year. Im also delving into the world of adventure racing. Signed up for the Connemara Adventure Challenge today, cant wait:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement