Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Will you pay the household charge?
Yes 697 24.52%
No 1,235 43.46%
Dont know 309 10.87%
Not Applicable to me 601 21.15%
Voters: 2842. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
09-02-2012, 00:01   #2641
The Quadratic Equation
Banned
 
The Quadratic Equation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: a polynomial of the second degree
Posts: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by donalg1 View Post
So now I'm a corrupt scumbag good lad. Think you should seek help for your issues there.

Can you please explain how I am a corrupt scumbag and please try do do without any abuse or insults if you think you can manage. And please elaborate on what I did to harm your friends or family?

What is your point again the abuse you spout is clouding it.
Before you get ideas above your station, read the post, I never said you were a corrupt scumbag, I said you are merely their pathetic jock strap, but now I'm thinking your only one of their dried up arse clinkers. Keep typing for upper mount street, there's a good girl, we know you're paid by the post.

Last edited by The Quadratic Equation; 09-02-2012 at 00:07.
The Quadratic Equation is offline  
Advertisement
09-02-2012, 00:03   #2642
Anita M.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 204
introduction offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle108 View Post
Get a grip on this.

The 2009 Commission on Taxation suggested that houses valued between €150,000 and €300,000 should be levied with a property tax of €563. John Fitzgerald of the Economic and Social Research Institute (the government’s semi-official economic think-tank) has said that the new taxes should be as high as €1300 per annum on the average household.
page 102 in this thread and it is an interesting page.

It is an act. If you get the bill send it back unopened and write on the back no contract. get a proof of postage when sending it back.
If you pay this 100 euro then you have legally entered into a binding contract, forcing you to pay up future payments. That is why this introduction offer is so low,
Anita M. is offline  
(3) thanks from:
09-02-2012, 00:04   #2643
The Quadratic Equation
Banned
 
The Quadratic Equation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: a polynomial of the second degree
Posts: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoeman View Post
The first question I ask anyone that says they are not paying is did you vote for fianna fáil? If yes pay up as they caused this mess. Did you vote for fianna gael? If yes pay up as this is how tax get collected when taxes are not raised.
Don't sicken me with your party politics. All Irish parties are the same, just trying to get their own corrupt cronies in power and sticky fingers in the jampot instead.

This is about the Irish people standing up for what is right.
The Quadratic Equation is offline  
Thanks from:
09-02-2012, 00:17   #2644
Potatoeman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quadratic Equation View Post
Don't sicken me with your party politics. All Irish parties are the same, just trying to get their own corrupt cronies in power and sticky fingers in the jampot instead.

This is about the Irish people standing up for what is right.
It's about people not wanting to pay. That's why FG got into power. SF and ULA are saying they will bring in a wealth tax which is exactly what a property tax is.
Potatoeman is online now  
(2) thanks from:
09-02-2012, 00:19   #2645
Going Forward
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford
Posts: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita M. View Post
page 102 in this thread and it is an interesting page.

It is an act. If you get the bill send it back unopened and write on the back no contract. get a proof of postage when sending it back.
If you pay this 100 euro then you have legally entered into a binding contract, forcing you to pay up future payments. That is why this introduction offer is so low,
Great idea from someone on the link on page 103-http://www.facebook.com/#!/permalink...44762212234425

Have every St Patricks day parade "sabotaged" by an Anti Household Charge float!! - Classic, and beam it around the world!!

Enda and Phil- wouldnt lil ol Ireland look well then!
Going Forward is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-02-2012, 00:38   #2646
squod
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-9 View Post


Why it's neccesary to attach a charge? Not a new thing. Debts are attached to property as a matter of routine, moreso these days.
As I said earlier property taxes have failed here twice and once in the UK. It's not common to levy a tax on your home in most developed countries. England's poll tax is such an example.

So yeah, it's not a new thing. But its some thing that we can say doesn't work and hasn't worked here.

If the government want a council tax then let's have it. A properly regulated system where money isn't spent on the black hole of PS pensions and poorly performing systems.

Without accountability and responsibility this new tax will be seen as a sham by visitors from other countries and act as a barrier to job creation by raising the cost of living for potential employees.

It's a non runner. It always has been a non runner and until the Government get their shit together and sort themselves out it always will be.

Last edited by squod; 09-02-2012 at 00:54.
squod is offline  
09-02-2012, 00:51   #2647
Mr CJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by donalg1 View Post
I am not here to convert anyone, I am here to offer my opinion only. I have never once advised anyone to pay it or not to pay it as it is up to them what they do with their own money. I would not for a second tell anyone what to do with their money unlike the anti brigade.
You offered your opinion but your still here fighting your points across, looks to me like you really want people to pay this tax, why I have no idea.

Can you not see that your loosing? The majority rules so you can say what you want but people are not going to pay this and its that simple. You go and pay it with your buddies, we will be the ones laughing when your paying a grand next year.

Donal are you in government?? I find it amazing, your supporting this stupid tax like mad! Get the message people are paying out enough already and everyone knows that this new tax will jump way beyond €2 a week very soon

By the way Donal I never said people should not pay taxes, this is the reason why you where unable to quote me.

Anti people well done again, its important that everyone is proactive with this protest make sure you tell everyone your not paying.
Mr CJ is offline  
Thanks from:
09-02-2012, 01:01   #2648
Mr CJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by donalg1 View Post
Shush and please don't try patronise me. As I have stated on numerous occasions this thread is about the household charge which is €100 so that is what's being discussed here. So when that changes we will discuss the new levels then as it is quite hard to talk about something when you only have imaginary figures to go on.

Ok so do you understand? Doubtful that you do but sure hey!!!
The blindness is unreal

You still do not get it, we are not fighting this over a po$% €2 charge please get this into your head, we are fighting this law as it will open doors to more taxes and these will rocket to outer space!!

The household charge is the red flag to the bull this is why it needs to be put down now before the damage is done therefore dont register dont pay!!
Mr CJ is offline  
09-02-2012, 01:05   #2649
Mr CJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve9859 View Post
So are people going to pay this thing or not??
No Steve, im not anyway and 95% of the country have not paid it yet either, check the polls above and look at the anger in government and public this is causing... so think before you consider signing an agreement that may cost you a substantial amount in the next few years
Mr CJ is offline  
Advertisement
09-02-2012, 01:11   #2650
K-9
Moderator
 
K-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Donegal
Posts: 34,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by squod View Post
As I said earlier property taxes have failed here twice and once in the UK. It's not common to levy a tax on your home in most developed countries. England's poll tax is such an example.

So yeah, it's not a new thing. But its some thing that we can say doesn't work and hasn't worked here.

Property taxes failed because of political opportunism, the exact same thing you are complaining about!

Sorry for using logic!
K-9 is offline  
09-02-2012, 01:25   #2651
Potatoeman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CJ View Post
No Steve, im not anyway and 95% of the country have not paid it yet either, check the polls above and look at the anger in government and public this is causing... so think before you consider signing an agreement that may cost you a substantial amount in the next few years
People are not going to pay straight away. These taxes get paid nearer the time.
Potatoeman is online now  
Thanks from:
09-02-2012, 01:27   #2652
Mr CJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket19 View Post
I'm sure plenty of the people who oppose the household tax are not opposing it simply because they can't afford the extra €100.
Obviously on its own, €100 isn't much, but don't you see that for the mostpart, it's the principle of being forced to contribute money towards something we shouldn't be paying for? I'd like to think that people would oppose this tax regardless of whether they're in a position to afford it or not.

I'm sure for a lot of people who are already breaking their backs trying to repay debt, look after their familes, send their kids to college, etc, it is highly offensive for some people to imply that everyone can afford it - "sure it's only €2 a week". But I'd say for many, it's just yet another tax that's being added to their burden. Some people budget to fcuk, and they still come up short, so who is anyone to imply that everyone can afford it.

Not everyone who resents this is being "cheap". The household tax and peoples' opposition to it has (imo) become a microcosm for peoples' feelings about this entire mess and how we're being fcucked., over and over again. What's wrong with taking a stand against that, even if it's just a start??? The actual cheek of people to say "it's only €100". My parents are v. comfortable financially, yet they still oppose it. No-one should be paying this.
(rant wasn't really directed at you btw!)

Fantastic I agree 110% it is not €2 a week god sake you will find this on the street in a few days if you look hard! We want of the rollercoaster the ride has been long enough we are sick of it and im sure rocket and I speak on behalf of the majority of the population (the ones that are not afraid to make a stand)

I have said this over and over again, if the government see that they have not got a chance they will look into alternatives, where there's a will there's a way. Just because there may appear to be an easy solution to something does not make it the right one.
Mr CJ is offline  
Thanks from:
09-02-2012, 01:47   #2653
Mr CJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoeman View Post
People are not going to pay straight away. These taxes get paid nearer the time.
Not this time!!

This thing has caused to much outrage, there are professional people many of them who has paid everything all there lives myself included even from financial controllers to post men, they say the same thing "im not paying"

People who are saying ah we will all end up paying it..... no we wont!!! Look at the water charges? everyone said no there was mass objections to this and the people won!!

Everyone needs to understand there is power in numbers, the government are people like you and I if we stick and stand together this tax will be abolished and this is a FACT.
Mr CJ is offline  
(4) thanks from:
09-02-2012, 07:57   #2654
donalg1
Closed Account
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by donalg1 View Post
I am not here to convert anyone, I am here to offer my opinion only. I have never once advised anyone to pay it or not to pay it as it is up to them what they do with their own money. I would not for a second tell anyone what to do with their money unlike the anti brigade.
You offered your opinion but your still here fighting your points across, looks to me like you really want people to pay this tax, why I have no idea.

Can you not see that your loosing? The majority rules so you can say what you want but people are not going to pay this and its that simple. You go and pay it with your buddies, we will be the ones laughing when your paying a grand next year.

Donal are you in government?? I find it amazing, your supporting this stupid tax like mad! Get the message people are paying out enough already and everyone knows that this new tax will jump way beyond €2 a week very soon

By the way Donal I never said people should not pay taxes, this is the reason why you where unable to quote me.

Anti people well done again, its important that everyone is proactive with this protest make sure you tell everyone your not paying.

I couldn't care less if people pay it or not I have only ever said I will pay it because it's the law and I don't feel that I can pick and choose the taxes or charges I pay.

I may even agree this tax is stupid and there would have been far better ways to raise 160m but unfortunately I can only discuss the household charge as it is now.

I also fail to see how I could be "losing" as i can't see how there are any winners. Those that pay are down a hundred quid those that don't have a charge registered against their property so everyone loses
donalg1 is offline  
09-02-2012, 08:46   #2655
lividduck
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita M. View Post
page 102 in this thread and it is an interesting page.

It is an act. If you get the bill send it back unopened and write on the back no contract. get a proof of postage when sending it back.
If you pay this 100 euro then you have legally entered into a binding contract, forcing you to pay up future payments. That is why this introduction offer is so low,
That arguement has been disproved. By all means dont pay if you oppose it, that is your right but the idea thqat only the laws you like apply to you has been disproved here and is not used by the anti-charge protesters.
lividduck is offline  
Thanks from:
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search