Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

site wide census for what?

Options
  • 14-11-2011 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

I started to partake in your census so that boards could better understand my wants and needs.
    After being asked how much i earned and who my mobile provider was, what handset did i have i got the distinct impression it was data mining for advertising purposes.

If you want feedback for the betterment of the site no problem, if you want to profile your users to better sell advertising also no problem but please state as much rather than the misleading information above.

i like this site very much by the way, just not underhanded data mining.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Agree. I thought it very odd the focus on mobile and travel related questions. Definitely seemed like a marketing data mine as opposed to just an information gathering excercise.

That said, I still filled it out so more fool me I guess

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've done the exact same surveys with irishopinions.com, same layout and all. This was most definitely done for marketing purposes.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Bit of a pisstake to call it a census rather than a survey, which is what it was. Not happy with being decieved like this. I'm not sure if I can forgive this. Unless, I don't know, I got an iPhone to make up for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Bit of a pisstake to call it a census rather than a survey, which is what it was. Not happy with being decieved like this. I'm not sure if I can forgive this. Unless, I don't know, I got an iPhone to make up for it...
    I am similarly unhappy.

iPhones for all I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

It is for bettering the site, having reliable information on the make up of your users allows you to sell advertising space to companies that match the general make up of the crowd better, which makes the site more money and offers the user better ads that they might actually be interested in, which also provides a better draw for companies selling to boards deals.

Within a year I can see some users complaining about how boards has gone commercial, TBH, the increased revenue seems to be doing a good job for now, though if ever I get a pop-up ad, then I will bitch :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah I was taken aback by it too, but then noticed it says in the T&C's what it is about;
    Dav wrote: »
    Terms & Conditions
    • "Sponge It" are the independent consumer research agency who are running the Boards.ie census on behalf of "Distilled Media".
    • The census is being run by Distilled Media for themselves in order to better understand the wants and needs of their readers.
    • Participation is completely voluntary and you may withdraw from the survey at any time. All your responses are completely confidential and are reported in statistical form only, as part of an aggregate response.
    • Personal information is not gathered, with the exception of an email address the respondent may enter in order to participate in a prize draw for those who complete the survey. This address is for that purpose only. They are not passed to Distilled Media, nor are they used for any other purpose.
    • If you have questions at any time about the survey or the procedures you may contact Sponge It at denise.johnston-at-spongeit.ie

Of course I didn't read any of this before doing the yoke...

It is for bettering the site, having reliable information on the make up of your users allows you to sell advertising space to companies that match the general make up of the crowd better, which makes the site more money and offers the user better ads that they might actually be interested in, which also provides a better draw for companies selling to boards deals.

Within a year I can see some users complaining about how boards has gone commercial, TBH, the increased revenue seems to be doing a good job for now, though if ever I get a pop-up ad, then I will bitch :)
    I wouldn't mind so much being asked to fill in a survey on what mobile phone I had if it wasn't done so in a clever cloak of deceit. Census implies something different from survey is all and I just think the Boards people weren't honest in their approach.

WindSock wrote: »
    Yeah I was taken aback by it too, but then noticed it says in the T&C's what it is about;

Of course I didn't read any of this before doing the yoke...
    Oh right. Well, I suppose it's all there, isn't it? Well, I feel foolish.

Still though: don't call a survey a census. Not cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Still though: don't call a survey a census. Not cool.

This is it in a nutshell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't want an iPhone as I've got a Samsung already.

I'll take a 1 for all voucher please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

I stopped halfway through, Its very deceitful, and I object to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

I stopped just the same. Who are "Distilled Media" , a little bit of clarification ?

Census ? Census ? this is a crappy marketing survey. I know I've sold million s of them. Where's the "Bypass this and never show me ****e like this again" button that you're required to show people ? "opt-in anyone ? " Or are Irish laws different to UK ones, because we used to get fined for doing this sort of stuff. Been years but it all comes flooding back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

trellheim wrote: »
    I stopped just the same. Who are "Distilled Media" , a little bit of clarification ?

A very quick Google would have clarified that.
    Distilled Media - Ireland's largest online publisher

Delivering over 3.65 million unique users and 165 million page impressions per month. Distilled Media operates some of Ireland's most well known and popular internet brands including Daft.ie, Boards.ie, Adverts.ie. and TheJournal.ie.

Census ? Census ? this is a crappy marketing survey. I know I've sold million s of them. Where's the "Bypass this and never show me ****e like this again" button that you're required to show people ? "opt-in anyone?" Or are Irish laws different to UK ones, because we used to get fined for doing this sort of stuff. Been years but it all comes flooding back.

Very briefly:
    A census is the procedure of systematically acquiring and recording information about the members of a given population.

vs.

Survey methodology is the field that studies surveys, that is, the sample of individuals from a population with a view towards making statistical inferences about the population using the sample.

I don't see the issue myself except for the pedants noting that this is not compulsory. It's a very minor thing, and you can just stop participating whenever you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

In the first announcement about the census Dav said that it's been awhile since we've had one. I took this to mean that it would be similar to the previous one but in a slightly more high tech format. I completed the survey because I presumed that the proper census questions would be in there somewhere.

I have no problem with Market research. I've been heavily involved with it since I was a teenager. Regardless of the small print, calling it a census is misleading.

It's a pity because the results of an actual census would be interesting to read.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

In the first announcement about the census Dav said that it's been awhile since we've had one. I took this to mean that it would be similar to the previous one but in a slightly more high tech format.
    Yeah same, assumed it was an update to this.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

A census tends to follow very established lines, has a very well defined methodology.

It's also well publicised, and usually mandatory, and also trusted.

This is a marketing survey, no problem with that, call a spade a spade , and put a big flashing "Remove this" button up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I don't want an iPhone as I've got a Samsung already.

I'll take a 1 for all voucher please.
    I've a Samsung too. I want an iphone so I can sell it for millions of drachma.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

phasers wrote: »
    I am similarly unhappy.

iPhones for all I say.

If I could get a Samsung Nexus, that would be just super, and I won't complain about the survey census at all, I promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Callipo

What would Bill Hicks say...

Ideologies.

You gotta love 'em

Honesty is always the best policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Would love to see a proper Census of boards users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yeah, its a con. Its underhand, don't fill it in.

(then I get a better chance at the iphone)

Its a bit annoying though that it takes up all the top of the page on every page.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm shocked anyone would actually fall for it, I read the first paragraph, said no thank you and clicked the red X.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

looksee wrote: »
    Yeah, its a con. Its underhand, don't fill it in.

(then I get a better chance at the iphone)

Its a bit annoying though that it takes up all the top of the page on every page.....

You've been posting here since 2006 and don't know there is a big red x on the top right of every announcement, and once you click it, you won't see that announcement again.

For shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ___

467755.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

___ wrote: »
    467755.jpg

I give up, what's your regular userid?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

jor el wrote: »
    I give up, what's your regular userid?

funny pic :) however there's a very very good chance that the user is a re-reg of a currently permabanned user. Currently lots of evidence for that to be the case.

____ sitebanned until we've had a chance to chat in prison. Not going to remove the pic though, it is feedback and it would be a shame to waste all that effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,672 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Personally I thought it was fairly clear:
    "Sponge It" are the independent consumer research agency who are running the Boards.ie census on behalf of "Distilled Media".
    The census is being run by Distilled Media for themselves in order to better understand the wants and needs of their readers.
    I mean what do you think Consumer Research Agencies do, in all fairness?

I agree it wasn't a 'census' because it wasn't. But to be abhorred halfway through and discover you are filling out marketing research, shouldn't have surprised you. Unless you're the type to click on links that say you've won a free iPad, and all you have to do is download a program to your desktop and give it access to your email account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I think its strange it says YOU NEED TO ENABLE JAVASCRIPT..

I didnt do any such thing and it worked fine :) (I usually always have scripts DISABLED)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I wouldn't mind seeing some real up to date results from the questions in the previous census, which was carried out over six years ago. And in fairness, those questions ARE contained in this latest survey.

Why Boards.ie are insterested in my phone is beyond me though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm shocked anyone would actually fall for it, I read the first paragraph, said no thank you and clicked the red X.

Advertisement