Inclusive vs Exclusive *Noc Notice* Read plox - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-11-2011, 12:53   #16
Futurecrook
Hosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maguined View Post
Define how nice we have to be to each other exactly? There is a giant world of difference between "don't abuse someone" and "do be nice to someone".

It is too vague to me anyway to be told to "be nice", I need that sort of stuff defined. For example many times I have jokingly given out to Jokettle for her perverted love of pineapple on pizza, can she report that as me not being nice? This would clearly not fall under me being abusive to her but it could easily be classified as "not being nice" due to the vagueness of such a term.

I refuse to apologise by the way, pineapple on pizza is disgusting!
That stuff is obviously joking though. (and justified... )

There were meaner, verging on bullying, posts in the forum a while ago. I will fully admit that I reported them to a mod. It turns out they had also been reported to this mod and another mod by someone else. So the mods saw fit to take action.
Advertisement
11-11-2011, 13:02   #17
Maguined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurecrook View Post
That stuff is obviously joking though. (and justified... )

There were meaner, verging on bullying, posts in the forum a while ago. I will fully admit that I reported them to a mod. It turns out they had also been reported to this mod and another mod by someone else. So the mods saw fit to take action.
Surely stuff either counts as bullying in which it is dealt with under the normal charter or it is not bullying in which case people need to grow a thicker skin?
11-11-2011, 13:07   #18
Futurecrook
Hosted Moderator

Fine, being unnecessarily mean to people is bullying in my eyes but I didn't want to say outright 'X is being a bully' so I left it up to the mods.
11-11-2011, 13:20   #19
Maguined

Quote:
Fine, being unnecessarily mean to people is bullying in my eyes but I didn't want to say outright 'X is being a bully' so I left it up to the mods.
Which is fair enough as it comes down to is X action classed as bullying? if yes then the mods deal with it and problem solved, if X action is not bullying then people need to grow a thicker skin.

If recent actions were considered bullying then I assume they were dealt with in accordance to the charter, until "be nice to each other" is defined in some way like the charter defines "don't abuse people" I just don't see the point of this?
11-11-2011, 13:25   #20
Futurecrook
Hosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerin View Post
... just a reminder to everyone that excluding other users or being nasty to them is not cool and won't be tolerated...
^ This is pretty much the general idea of the thread. I don't see why people are making such a big deal out of it. It was a reminder by a mod not to be dicks to one another as outlined in the charter.

And recent actions were dealt with by a mod Mags.
Advertisement
11-11-2011, 13:29   #21
FewFew

If all this was done in public, defamation notices would be going out left, right and centre.

If a user deems a post as bullying (and bullying is a well defined term, and not a word to be used lightly.) they should report the post. Being selective about what mod you go to isn't how such things should work.
11-11-2011, 13:32   #22
Futurecrook
Hosted Moderator

I reported the posts to a mod. As did other users. I'm fully entitled to report them to whichever mod I choose.
Thanks from:
11-11-2011, 14:18   #23
Nerin
Hosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewcifur View Post
If all this was done in public, defamation notices would be going out left, right and centre.

If a user deems a post as bullying (and bullying is a well defined term, and not a word to be used lightly.) they should report the post. Being selective about what mod you go to isn't how such things should work.
I hope you are taking the mickey with the legal talk, you know they have a ****fit about that in the offices.

maybe you think it isn't how it should work,but it happens and has always happened,even before lots of us even joined boards.

just like I wouldn't go to certain admins, I don't expect (or want) everyone coming to me.

I think I explained already,I only mean abusive,nasty or cliquey posts,that's all that was complained about. I can't (and never have) mind every new user.
11-11-2011, 14:21   #24
Nerin
Hosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maguined View Post
Quote:
Which is fair enough as it comes down to is X action classed as bullying? if yes then the mods deal with it and problem solved, if X action is not bullying then people need to grow a thicker skin.

If recent actions were considered bullying then I assume they were dealt with in accordance to the charter, until "be nice to each other" is defined in some way like the charter defines "don't abuse people" I just don't see the point of this?
The fact it was done by message after the posts is why there is a reminder. the reminder is about user actions and how they should immediately report or pm if they have an issue.
better to get it out of the way instead of let it build up.
Advertisement
11-11-2011, 14:25   #25
Galvasean

Send a message via MSN to Galvasean
Hi Nerin.
While I am glad this topic has come up (I was not aware of such occurances), I find this thread and the OP in particular somewhat vague and confusing.
Would it be possible to re-jig the OP for clarity purposes? (bullet points or something)
(2) thanks from:
11-11-2011, 14:30   #26
Nerin
Hosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvasean View Post
Hi Nerin.
While I am glad this topic has come up (I was not aware of such occurances), I find this thread and the OP in particular somewhat vague and confusing.
Would it be possible to re-jig the OP for clarity purposes? (bullet points or something)
of course, I'll do that this evening. didn't have time last night to edit and time wasted elsewhere.
I'll bullet point it, leave it on its own and then after day or two post it into the charter.
(2) thanks from:
11-11-2011, 14:30   #27
Nerin
Hosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvasean View Post
Hi Nerin.
of course, I'll do that this evening. didn't have time last night to edit and time wasted elsewhere.
I'll bullet point it, leave it on its own and then after day or two post it into the charter.
11-11-2011, 14:47   #28
Doctor DooM
Category Moderator

Ok, I've been quiet up to now but I have been watching.

This is all news to me but frankly I am a little saddened by the clear anger and sniping going on in here and the merged thread. Not that I am blaming anyone, there's always some reasons behind this stuff, and always two sides to every story.

I think it'd be best for everyone to take a deep breath and a day or two away from this whole thing. Smell some puppies, pat some flowers and come back with a logical head, remember this is supposed to be a forum based on friendship of the weird and wonderful and this kind of infighting hurts everyone involved, and ultimately it's an argument over a difference of opinion on an internet forum.

At the moment I have had virtually zero feedback from anyone. I know of late I've been a busy boy and not here much, but there's no reported posts in my inbox, this whole thing came completely out of the blue and mainly anything I've gotten til now has been quite a bit of he said- she said.

I would like to think in my time here I have proved to be fair minded and helpful and I'd like some time to think things over, as I am sure the other mods do. So how about we all calm down and approach this like the reasonable adults we are.
11-11-2011, 15:10   #29
Galvasean

Send a message via MSN to Galvasean
With posts like that ^ you really oughta(bot) change your name to Optimus Brian ^_^
Thanks from:
11-11-2011, 15:24   #30
Maguined

Quote:
^ This is pretty much the general idea of the thread. I don't see why people are making such a big deal out of it. It was a reminder by a mod not to be dicks to one another as outlined in the charter.

And recent actions were dealt with by a mod Mags.
We are not making a big deal out of it, simply looking for a little clarity due to the vagueness of the words used. If this thread is simply "dont break the charter, that's bad mmmmkay" then it all makes sense, but the vagueness so far has been "some stuff might not break the charter so no rules have actually been broken but we will mod it anyway" in which case I for one just want clarity and definition of this vagueness so we know what is and is not appropriate going forward.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion