Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviation & Aircraft Photo Discussion Thread *Mod Warning Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Too much red brick on show for Ireland, definitely the UK, likely somewhere in the middle of England going by the flatness....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

That looks very much like the UK. As Treadhead said, way too much red brick for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

de biz wrote: »
    Attached pic is taken from the Marine Corps official site.

Possibly taken in flight over Ireland (road traffic in pic driving on lhs) during President Clinton's official visits?

If anyone can identify the village let me know....

P.S. it may be in the U.K.

Please read mod warning in post one.

This is the discussion thread however you may quote from the photo thread to this thread to discuss it only.

Warning issued.

Photo thread is here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055093842&page=212

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

jimbis wrote: »
    My grandmother passed away just before Christmas and when we were cleaning out her house we found this picture. Its dated 1939.

I google'd the plane and it turns out it was the DC3 that crashed near Birmingham in 1953

212ss4x.jpg

Think the date is wrong on that pic then...

EIN only had one DC-3 during the war, and that was EI-ACA. She was delivered in camo, being painted in Brussels directly after leaving Fokker where she was the last one built there under licence before the war. She only just got out of ther ahead of the German troops according to EIN's history... It was only after the war she got civvie colours.

Their second DC-3 EI-ACE was purchased in 1946 and I think ACF came along at the same time....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,007 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

de biz wrote: »
    Attached pic is taken from the Marine Corps official site.

Possibly taken in flight over Ireland (road traffic in pic driving on lhs) during President Clinton's official visits?

If anyone can identify the village let me know....

P.S. it may be in the U.K.

The picture date is 20 May 2011 so was during Obama's visit. Wikipedia shows Obama visited Ireland on 23 May and UK 23-26 May therefore this is probably the advance party having a party before the boss flies in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

But there were no CH-46s in Ireland on that visit, to the best of my knowledge, not have they ever been used on Presidential visits to this country. They were confined to the UK and based at Mildenhall for the duration of the 2011 trip, having been airlifted into that airfield. They made a number of rehearsal flights around the London area before the actual visit. More details here
    http://www.fast-air.co.uk/raf-mildenhall-obama-state-visit-support/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

johnsds wrote: »
    Dont tell me IRCG are going to keep ICA looking like that? What I mean is will she have the same scheme as ICG?

It looks lazy if the above is going to be kept nearish or in UK Colours, hopefully they move the registration to the same place as ICG too and place a tricolour on her.

I understand EI-ICA is also to be the new "RESCUE 118".:)

No they're not going to keep it looking like that. EI-ICA is doing training with the Sligo crew at the moment while the other one is being painted into Irish colours in Shannon(I think the reg for is EI-ICR). So going by logic, ICR will enter service first then ICA should get painted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

The photo by tricky D of the AL Airbus with the stripped down livery looked rather fetching, I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

RadioRetro wrote: »
    The photo by tricky D of the AL Airbus with the stripped down livery looked rather fetching, I thought.

Is that a leased in aircraft?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

kub wrote: »
    Is that a leased in aircraft?

Yup. Short term lease apparently....to allow EI to operate it as their own or sub in for Little Red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ozzy Jr posted this in pics thread, can you tell me what aircraft it is? Looks Russian ??

It's massive !

Cheers

an225-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭islanderre

Its the Antonov 225 and it visited Shannon last month too..... their was a great thread on it in this forum too so do a search.

Only one flying so quite unique

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

How do you guys that use Flickr post the pictures with thumbnails ?
    the Html/BBcode doseant work for me and im not seeing anything

Stealthirl wrote: »
    How do you guys that use Flickr post the pictures with thumbnails ?
    the Html/BBcode doseant work for me and im not seeing anything

Below your image to the right...you will see an icon that says "more ways to share"
    Highlight and copy the code in the box, past into your board.ie reply.

Thanks,i was blind and didant see the BBcode option :o

Stealthirl wrote: »
    Thanks,i was blind and didant see the BBcode option :o
    Keep in mind that i do not have a D-SLR...I use a super zoom point and shoot camera.

Yeah...too much fence......can you grow taller?
    Fence's are a pain. However wire is not as often the camera focused beyong the wire..in the pics you posted the fence posts were the obstacle.

1 pic posted was too wide, you had an FR B738 taking off with an EI A330 behind, too much clutter. Focus on either the B738 or the A330

Always be aware of surroundings and timings. (it will come with time) EG. the pic of the DL a/c was spoiled by the airport shuttle van, 1 sec earlier and that would be a good shot. (On that note disable flash...I have missed so many moments as camera flash was warming up and thus was unable to quickly snap)

If you can, sey up 1-2 preset options to allow to take slow shutter speed (for props) or fast speeds for landing/takeoffs. I still use auto and it shows on my shots.

Yup that shuttle van was a pitta,thought id get the shot before he entered frame.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭moss.ie

@stealthirl

good advice there from Tenger, best advice i can give you is practice practice practice, ooh yea and get yourself a set of steps.

when i started off i took many many pics until i found my style so to speak, not a single fence around shannon was safe ( i have a great visual record of pretty much every fence in the place lol) 20 bucks or so will get you a decent set of steps from b&q or similar.

dunno if your camera has a viewfinder, its good practice to get into the hang of using it.

beware - if you get the photography bug it wont take long till you get fed up with the limitations of a bridge type camera and upgrade to a dslr. :)

The scheme on this AL plane posted in the Photo thread by Shamrock9108 is rather lovely imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

RadioRetro wrote: »
    The scheme on this AL plane posted in the Photo thread by Shamrock9108 is rather lovely imho.

pretty standard on all the white tails EI get in. Did they have a few other like this some years ago?

• Advertisement

Razor44 wrote: »
    pretty standard on all the white tails EI get in. Did they have a few other like this some years ago?

They had 2 'white-tails' in a similar livery about 8-9 years ago. No social media decals of course. They were 2 ex-SwissAir A320's.
    westdub wrote: »
    I may have just shed a tear at this shot.................

I'm with Tenger on that one, what a cracking image!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭merisi

Razor44 wrote: »

I think it's a bit of a mish-mash and wouldn't expect more for a temporary scheme. There have been a few variations of this scheme over the years, this one, for example: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Aer-Lingus/Airbus-A320-214/0672079/L

• Registered Users Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

http://www.flickr.com/photos/n707pm/9385566343/ I thought that the Isle of Man registration was for non commercial aircraft only?

smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

That is correct, but some of the leasing companies use Manx registrations on aircraft that are between leases. This one will have non-Manx markings applied before delivery - EI-FCH has been mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

hey gang, spotted this Bell Huey Helicopter flying in over Greystones,Co Wicklow this afternoon, I heard it coming and took a few shots. "Huey's don't fly they beat the air into submission"
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/41833279@N07/9497737032/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/41833279@N07/9494960997/

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

Great spot@nungesser.The Huey is operated by Heli-lift from Oxford.

I imagine its engaged on forestry work.Anyone know how long its been in country?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

madzers wrote: »

Great pics, but you've mislabeled the Sea Fury as a Seafire.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Spotted this in DUS recently, Boeing 737 D-AHFM

2el4br9.jpg

Dublin Airport August 12th. G-JAJK

nwn5sm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

Would anyone have a pic of United flight 127 to Washington from yesterday? (20th of August)

Many thanks

Advertisement