Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

report of french eurocopter and three super pumas

Options
  • 21-09-2011 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭

Holy F*** the french eurocopter and three super pumas flew over my house just now.
    I LIVE IN IRELAND WAT THE F*** IS HAPPENING
    anyone have any info.
    David

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

That was quick, the first response was in french!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I saw someone just fly over north dublin (Beaumount/Santry/Artane/Coolock) a few mins ago. Looked foreign all right, didn't recognise it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

more info here

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

Still does anybody know why they are about or whats goin on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭stockyboie

Quick! Lets send some of our jets up to investigate and possibly intercept. Oh wait...

• Advertisement

stockyboie wrote: »
    Quick! Lets send some of our jets up to investigate and possibly intercept. Oh wait...

Hahaha LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

I dunno. There was a French tanker in Dublin airport the other day. Could be leading up to something :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

maybe helping in the search for the missing yacht off the west coast?

Morphéus wrote: »
    maybe helping in the search for the missing yacht off the west coast?

Is it a french yacht? wud have thought the brits wud be first to help seeing as they're closer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Those were deffiently french they were so low you could see the french emblem at the rear rotter blade there two or three helicopters a good distance away two were like attack type i dunno wats up but maybe a friendly hello ha and those would make are military aircraft look like pieces of scrap. The noise size and armor it had says enough but the speed off it actually set car alarms off it was that low and fast.
    Crazy Pilots.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Is it not that the yacht is lost in a shared maritime SAR area?

also since when is the atlantic closer to britain than ireland!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Morphéus wrote: »
    Is it not that the yacht is lost in a shared maritime SAR area?

also since when is the atlantic closer to britain than ireland!!??

depends where it is - Irelands SAR 'box' goes out due west from Sligo for 200m or so, goes south, then back east to skirt along the bottom of Co Cork. the UK's SARR wraps around Irelands', and goes out to 30w (1200m) - so its quite possible that a yacht could be missing 'off Ireland' and be both closer to Cornwall/Derry/Argyll and within the UK SAR region.

quite what we could do for anyone stranded 1200m out in the north Atlantic is a matter perhaps left behind the sofa in the fevered hope that nobody ever has to find out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

stockyboie wrote: »

you just have to call their bluff http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_of_4_August_1800

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

uksrr_irl-4.jpg
    uksrr.png

Gives some idea of perspective.
    No scale on these, but the Irish area extends roughly 200nm west of Ireland.

Out of curiosity, whats the name of the yacht that is missing, anywhere to find updates on the operation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

The yacht is named Golden Eagle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Any word on movement over Carlow last night ?

David

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Can't see why they would use helicopters when they have long range aircraft like the Atlantique 2? Also, whatever about who's closest to the Atlantic, the Irish Sea is nowhere near the search area so I'd imagine they are not here in a SAR capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Tabnabs wrote: »
    ...Also, whatever about who's closest to the Atlantic, the Irish Sea is nowhere near the search area so I'd imagine they are not here in a SAR capacity?

the EC725 might be held on stand-by because of their inflight refueling capability - if the Golden Eagle is a looong way out into the atlantic, they might be the only helicopters capable of getting out there.

there is a distinct lack of long range MPA's in europe at the mo - since the scrapping of the RAF's Nimrods the French and USN have been covering the RN's ballistic missile submarines from Faslane.

aircraft covering the deployment of part of NATO's stategic nuclear weapons arsenal are not going to be pulled off to look for a civilian yacht.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Fair enough, but that still doesn't explain why they would be so far east and removed from the search area?

Especially when the boat has turned up in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

OS119 wrote: »
    the EC725 might be held on stand-by because of their inflight refueling capability - if the Golden Eagle is a looong way out into the atlantic, they might be the only helicopters capable of getting out there.

Fair point ... only problem is the Heli that was seen in EIDW had no in-flight refueling probe fitted....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eigjb/6166328323/

• Advertisement

According to this, Ireland has recently signed a SAR cooperation pact with France (and are in discussion with Iceland). It could be SAR related after all, but in the general sense and perhaps familiarisation by crews?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

Isnt the Irish coast guard upgrading to new Sikorsky S-92's. Makes sense for nations to pool there resources when you think about it...

Isnt the Irish coast guard upgrading to new Sikorsky S-92's. Makes sense for nations to pool there resources when you think about it...

The old sikorskys are being upgraded with these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_S92

but I dunno of the timings, all i do know is it hasn't been done yet...

Advertisement