Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army Puma Like Helicopter Dublin Airport

Options
  • 20-09-2011 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Saw one heading for Dublin airport this afternoon around 330pm was driving around rolestown so wasnt able to take a pic, but was definitely heading for the airport, anything know anything about it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭N7777G

cdsb46 wrote: »
    Saw one heading for Dublin airport this afternoon around 330pm was driving around rolestown so wasnt able to take a pic, but was definitely heading for the airport, anything know anything about it??

Well spotted!
    It was French Air Force EC725 Caracal (Super Cougar) tail no. 2770.

photos on short finals to r/w 16:-

http://flic.kr/p/aoWNkW

http://flic.kr/p/aoU3zz

It parked on the west apron near to where the US Army Chinooks were parked during & after the Obama visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭N7777G

and this is what the EC725 looks like up close:-

http://flic.kr/p/6xpei1

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Thats one hell of a refuelling boom on the last pic!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

part of the search teams looking for the yacht off the south west?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

French tanker and now a lone helicopter. Are we popular with the French now?

@morpheous re: yacht search, I would have thought that Dublin was a bit far as a base for that operation?

How many countries are involved win this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Four - Ireland, Britain, France and Norway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

BrianD wrote: »
    French tanker and now a lone helicopter. Are we popular with the French now?

French military aircraft have been visiting Ireland off and on for years, on training flights. Types I have seen include C-47, Noratlas, Transall, C-130, Nord 262, Alpha Jet, Puma, Mystere 20 and Falcon 900, Falcon 10 and Xingu. The Alpha Jets have only visited Baldonnel as far as I can recall, apart from the Patrouille de France landing at Dublin in 1989 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

i seen that heli flying extremely low and my father is ex military he said the french are know to fly low at speed in chad and serria leone but this is Dublin i know theres a lot of shots been fired here but its not baghdad YET. the area Dublin 11 and Dublin 17 areas is were it was mainly mainly doing heavy manuvours. I also saw two others high above it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there,
    To echo EchoIndia's post, they've been coming here for years and I have seen all of the aircraft he saw. They could be doing cross-training with the army, ie, you have a go in ours and we'll try yours.Happens all the time.
    regards
    Stovepipe

Advertisement