The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012 - Page 24 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-02-2012, 18:20   #346
Dory Dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post
Purple and gold! Our club had a different design, mostly yellow, which us chicks refused to wear cos it was so awful, the men of the club told us if we were that upset about it to design our own. So we did.

So. Lets be havin' em!
Well, you look great in purple and gold! Definitely shows off your tough-girl qualities in a feminine way.

Havin' em?? Pics? Oh, I am not worthy. I think you have to have a least three stars under your user name before you are allowed to post photos of yourself. There are minimum standards, you know, to keep the riff-raff out.
Advertisement
16-02-2012, 18:21   #347
Dory Dory

Okay....so when did I get three stars!!!!????
(2) thanks from:
17-02-2012, 08:48   #348
Oryx
Soloist

Send a message via MSN to Oryx
Sometimes, I hate my 'friends' in the tri club. Today for the swim they had the dive blocks up and everyone was having a go at a dive and sprint. Everyone except me, that is. Apart from the fact that I can't dive, when I mix any kind of height with any kind of water I turn into a whimpering child. I can't explain it and it fks me up. Its the reason I had to go back and do winter tough guy THREE times. To complete the 'death plunge'. My darling clubmates would not leave me alone though until I at least climbed the platform. Which I did, and jumped off. Problem is, now that I know this thing has bested me AGAIN, I've now got to learn to dive off the blocks. Damn you swim coach! In other news, even with all the cajoling and interruptions, I got over 2k done. My mojo is coming back. If only I could say the same about my nerve when it comes to diving!
17-02-2012, 09:19   #349
RacoonQueen

I don't blame you. I don't even like jumping straight into the pool never mind diving in.
Thanks from:
17-02-2012, 09:28   #350
donothoponpop
Closed Account

Do you know exactly what scares you about diving? Fear of hitting the bottom, landing with a belly flop, something else? Deal with that fear and you'll be fine. Try standing poolside and falling in headfirst (arms in front like a diver) while keeping your feet on the surface as long as possible. Now keep doing that until you make as small a splash as possible- then progress to jumping out a little bit as you do it. Pretty soon you'll have swam half the pool before coming up for air.
Advertisement
17-02-2012, 09:41   #351
Oryx
Soloist

I did dive from the deck. I can manage it even if its a bit half arsed And I can jump in from a height. No fear of water whatsoever. But put me in the start position on the block and I just can't make myself dive. Its a brain thing. Not a clue where it comes from.
17-02-2012, 10:17   #352
donothoponpop
Closed Account

Quote:
I did dive from the deck. I can manage it even if its a bit half arsed And I can jump in from a height. No fear of water whatsoever. But put me in the start position on the block and I just can't make myself dive. Its a brain thing. Not a clue where it comes from.
Ah that's different, you know how to do it, and can do it. Just do it; no better woman for managing the fight or flight response, I would have thought. Brains are overrated anyway.
Thanks from:
17-02-2012, 10:40   #353
Oryx
Soloist

That was nicer than saying htfu so thank you Yeah, now I've got to do it because I can't let it beat me. Stupid brain!
(3) thanks from:
17-02-2012, 13:12   #354
Dory Dory

When we would teach the little kids to dive off the diving board, we'd have them crouch down close to the board and then they'd push themselves off and into the water at a nice (well, you know...) horizontal. Being close to the board made them feel stable and secure, plus they were that much closer to the water, plus-plus the position facilitated a more parrallel entry into the the water. When you are farther away and diving headfirst, it can be a bit un-nerving. Perhaps try this approach with the blocks. First dive crouched close...then little by little inch up to a more normal position. Think of the block as a mini-diving board....AND MINI-DIVING BOARDS ARE FUN!! Also realize that not only do the blocks with their nice angle allow for a beautiful degree of entry into the water (unlike the deck), but (and this assumes there is some "height fear-factor" involved with your apprehension) in the "on your mark" position on the block, your head isn't really all that much further from the water than when you do a standing dive from the deck (not really)...it's really only your fanny bum that is relatively far from the water's surface....and your bum shouldn't care about that. In fact, your bum (and the spectators) may enjoy that!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-02-2012, 13:37   #355
Oryx
Soloist

I dunno if these are the same as yours. 2 and a bit feet off the water, with no angle. I know, two and half feet pffft.
17-02-2012, 13:45   #356
Dory Dory

No angle? Really? Your blocks have no angle? No worries. While standing on the deck, just sit your arse down on the block - don't even climb on it, just scooch your arse on it - then position your legs under your bum, lean in and over, then dive in. You don't even need to ever stand on the block. Sit, squat, lean, dive. No biggie. Make it a game. Even at 2 and a half feet, if you never stand up while on the block, then your head will never be further from the water's surface than when you are standing on the deck. REALLY!!!
17-02-2012, 13:51   #357
Oryx
Soloist

Thanks. My problem is, I have to do a proper dive off it. And I will. I'll let you know how it goes!
17-02-2012, 13:55   #358
Dory Dory

Here's one more thought. Scooch your arse on the block....squat....lean in....but then do one hell of a rip-roaring belly flop! Don't even try to dive. Just make it one very juvenile flop into the water and enjoy it!! Make it fun. Who cares if you dive at this point. Just ever so gracefully give us one good flop with no other purpose than to flop. Then stand in that shallow end and smile and laugh!
17-02-2012, 13:56   #359
Dory Dory

Quote:
Thanks. My problem is, I have to do a proper dive off it. And I will. I'll let you know how it goes!
Hmmmm....then perhaps ignore my last post.....
17-02-2012, 14:08   #360
Oryx
Soloist

The annoying part is I never had any inclination to do this, and its of no benefit that I can see, but now I got to, because I can't let it get the better of me. Appreciate the tips tho.

And Dory.. *cough* Pictures!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion