Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS in all its glory

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Hey, public sector worker here. Working nights and shifts and everything else with my MS. In able to at the mo but that’s another story.

get onto occ health straight away. Tell them tou are finding wfh very beneficial and that you want to stay in that arrangement. They should be able to help you

• Registered Users Posts: 23 GreenRdBoy

Hi Cj Maxx.

My son, 22, was on lemtrada and had no issues with it. Had 2 infusions (both were hospital stays) but we were told they are not using due to some potential kidney issues. On ocrevus now and doing well again. Have infusions every 6 months and in for about 5 hours. Early days for him but him feels good and last mri showed no new lesions. Sorry if it seems vague but no real stories to tell.....thank god. Best of luck to you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure I meet the criteria, no new lesions on my last MRI's. ( good ).

My nurse called back to say bring it up with my neurologist, but I haven't seen him in years ( can't remember the last time I saw him)

Anyway I seem to tolerate Avonex well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 siriusone

Hi all, new joiner here. I was diagnosed with RRMS on Friday last.

Just over a year ago I noticed a lack of coordination/weakness in right leg and some lack of dexterity in right hand. Went for MRI but all clear, had lumbar puncture which showed something but nothing conclusive, then a VEP test which was again a bit iffy but not conclusive. 12mth MRI however shows multiple/several lesions in spine/brain. I don't have a number exactly but neuro says it is aggressive. Despite the lesions my symptoms IMO haven't changed, or maybe they have but I've not noticed due to slow onset. No relapse/flare-up yet.

Because of the aggressive nature, I'm being pushed to select a drug. I can't opt for Tysabri because my JCV titer is 3+ (causing the neuro to laugh out loud). I kinda expected all along that I might have MS, but being told I had no chance of going on Ty felt like a bigger kick in the guts.

But anyway, it's down to Ocrevus or Gilenya. I'm poring over any studies I can find at the moment but would be interested to hear ppls real opinions. I have done the searches of the forum but only being diagnosed last friday and being in hospital for a dose of steroids for last number of days means little time to research. It's almost a flip of a coin right now between the two but I was edging towards Ocrevus...nothing scientific except that on a list from the neuro it was 3rd from top (Ty being top) and Gilenya was 5th. It's almost a case of picking the drug who's side effects you can better accept because the efficacy difference of the drugs is not yet obvious to me.

Appreciate any experiences, good or bad. End of the day the decision is mine to make. I don't want anyone to break forum rules by offering me medical advice etc. but opinions are good. Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 stevie84

Hey, sorry to hear you got an MS diagnosis. It can be a lonely and difficult time in the early days. It's taken me a long time, but it does really help talking to others in the same boat. I was very resistant of that at the start. I had optic neuritis in October 2016 (I had other random unexplained symptoms for years before that). Sent for an MRI in November 16 and was told when I went to the Eye and Ear for the results it was more than likely MS but further tests were needed. Conclusive lumbar puncture and another MRI in Feb 2017 and was finally told in May 2017 in Vincent's that I had RRMS. Between my scan in Nov 16 and Feb 17 I had 5 new lesions. I was give 3 pamphlets about medications too and told to choose. I chose Gilenya as it was one pill a day and I thought the easiest option for me. I started Gilenya in August 2017. I had to go into the clinic for the day as they monitor your heart the first time you take it. I was fine and all stayed normal.

I took Gilenya for 3 years up to October 2020 and only came off it as we are trying for a baby. Gilenya worked well for me and my MRIs were stable during the 3 years. I also have chronic migraine and during that time they did worsen. Consultant said the Gilenya may have exacerbated it but I am still off it and get migraine but not as regularly so who knows.

When I stopped Gilenya I was given steroid infusions as you can have a rebound when coming off it. Personally, I had more issues with the steroids than Gilenya. I was told if I had a relapse or changes on an MRI they would give me Tysabari. However, I also tested positive for JCV. Consultant said I could take it for a very short time (while trying to conceive) and the risk would be smaller as I think the longer you are on it (especially if you are positive for JCV) the greater the risk. I don't really want to take Tysabari at all and hoping I can avoid that. Gilenya does also have a risk of PML but a lower risk I think. All in all Gilenya worked for me and I would go back on it again if I have to.

I suppose the thing to keep in mind is that you can possibly try something else if a medication doesn't suit you. It's best to go with your gut feeling at the moment about what's best for you. Best of luck with your decision.

*(On a side-note not sure if anyone has ever been to the Eye and Ear but in a consultation room near the Waiting Room there's this weird wooden chair/bench in the wall thing that I sat in when I was given my diagnosis. Its up there as one of my surrealist experiences ever. It's weird what sticks in your mind at times like that!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

I’ve been on ocrelizumab for 2 years now. PPMS. MRI has remained the same since diagnosis so possibly ocrelizumab is responsible for that. But mobility has decreased in the last 2 years. But possibly due to lockdown… ask away if there’s anything specific you’d like to know

im in the same boat. Dx in ‘12/13 ( when Marie Fleming was going to court ) but my mobility has gone downhill the last two/three years. MRI’s seem to be stable. I had planned on doing a bit of swimming/gym to get a bit of fitness but then Covid-19 hit. I think I was grabbing at a straw with Ocrevus in the hope of a fix , which I know it won’t do. Avonex seems to be doing the job and I’m well used to it so I’ll stick with it. Once a week so not too bad.

I was hoping ocrevus would give me an improvement in my mobility … it’s just keeping the status quo. But with PPMS I don’t have many options so I’ll stick with it. Covid put major spanner in the works with regard to diet and exercise for me. Need to get back on track!

I won't quote a response to anyone in particular above, but thanks for the info folks. I made the decision to try Ocrevus. Just need to wait now for the admin to be done so I can start. Had steroid infusion a week ago and whereas when I also got steroids 6mths ago I didn't notice a positive difference (because my symptoms were so slight), this time around there's a measurable improvement, less wobbly gait etc. There's good and bad in that I suppose.

I do have some questions. Some things I couldn't get straight answers to from neuro/ms nurse.

Firstly, I was told that there's a good chance the DMT will prevent new lesions. Despite my MS being described as 'aggressive', I've not had a relapse (fingers crossed). Is there a chance that, if no new lesions form, I might never get a relapse or is that just wishful thinking?

Secondly, the efficacy of a drug is a measure of how good it is at doing it's job i.e. slowing/preventing disease progression. So it stops lesions. But the existing lesions, they don't go away. In that case is it to be expected that even now if symptoms are tolerable, there will more than likely be physical degradation,?

Appreciate that every one of us is different so I'm not expecting someone to map out a trajectory here, but go ahead.. what are your thoughts? Don't be afraid that I'll be distraught..I think I'm fairly together.

I’m on Ocrelizumab and that’s basically what you’ve described. No new lesions MRIs all stable. But no improvement in the damage that had already been done. My neuro was very hesitant to give me Ocrelizumab. I fought for it and am on it but would really welcome another DMT that would work for me with PPMS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Whatever treatment you have, sadly MS will be beavering away quietly in the background. But the sooner you can get on a really effective treatment the better you will be for longer. I was on both Betaferon and Avonex, both pretty crappy and ineffective, because there wasn't anything else at that stage. The damage done while I was on them is hitting now. If I had been able to have the likes of Tysabri then, i wouldn't be like I am now. There are no cures to be had at present -no matter what the die hard ASCHT crew say " no chemo, no cure." But the longer we can stay as well as possible, the better.

On a less gloomy note, most MS treatments will entitle us to the 3rd Covid dose asap.

Yes indeed. Getting on a good DMT early as possible seems to be key. Sounds obvious but I understand that it wasn't always a case of doing this i.e. the Danish model of starting with less impacting treatments and working up to the most efficacious was a thing for some. And I don't want to have a rant so early on this forum, but man do I find myself having to chase the consultant for everything. 4 months could easily have been shaved of my diagnosis if things were done when I was told they'd be done, letters sent to the right places, blood tests ordered when scheduled, and Covid wasn't used as an excuse for not answering phone calls and emails. But, got to move on.

Seeing as covid booster was mentioned; well, I've been prompted by local vaccination centre to come in for the booster jab. But, I was also told (MS nurse) that this could delay start of treatment (6 weeks was mentioned). I'm going to confirm this but I won't be taking booster if this turns out to be true. I'm content to stay working from home in self imposed exile and take the risk.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My previous post seems to be prophetic. I was told on Sunday that I am probably secondary progressive now and will likely need to come off Tysabri . Feic.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭waxmoth

Might be of interest if it has not been discussed before, n-acetyl glucosamine … https://www.jbc.org/article/S0021-9258(17)50630-4/fulltext  “Thus, oral GlcNAc is uniquely positioned as a therapeutic to reverse three major targets driving MS pathogenesis, namely pro-inflammatory T-cell responses, pro-inflammatory innate B-cell activity, and myelin repair. No current MS therapy has such diverse mechanisms of action.

Does not seem to be available in the South but it is an over the counter supplement in Northern Ireland.

Under what brand-name? Could see myself "breaking for the border" pretty damn quick!

Sorry to hear that. Thinking of you. Ms is a feic-er

Biocare. You may have to order it in depending on the store. I got some in Enniskillen today (Natures Choice) but had it on order.

do you know what brand name it’s under in NI , would a Dr prescribe it in NI?

• Advertisement

https://www.biocare.co.uk/n-a-g-n-acetyl-glucosamine-60-caps Prescription isn't needed. It may be a Brexit related reason that it's not available here - animal origin (crustacean shell).

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Sorry to hear it byhookorbycrook. All the best to you.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Did you get that through your neurology department or your GP? My neurology department seemed to forget about me when they were giving out the vaccines.

There was quite a lot of confusion at the time, GPs were told hospitals were to do it, hospitals were told the GPs were. One HSE phone operator said it was one, another operator said the other.

"How you will get your additional dose

Hospitals will identify the people who need an additional dose. You do not need to register or contact anyone. People who need an additional dose will receive a text message with an appointment for their vaccine.

These additional doses will be given through HSE vaccination centre near you, or your hospital if you're an inpatient. GPs may also vaccinate some people. "

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/get-the-vaccine/weak-immune-system/

It happened just like what ByHook said. Got a text out of the blue from HSE to call me to the large test centre nearby. Had got previous two doses at GP clinic.

Thanks. I was vaccinated by my GP. Hopefully HSE will be in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MyAccount

@ byhookorbycrook sorry to hear that

Stay strong

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MyAccount

Re 3rd Covid dose, just got a text from HSE, unprompted, this afternoon to go to the Vaccine centre next weds

May have been prompted by recently starting on gilenya? as I had to fight the last time out to get a Vaccine

Another recent paper on N-acetyl glucosamine which shows a particular association with progressive MS.

"Previous preclinical, human genetic, and ex vivo human mechanistic studies revealed that N-glycan branching and/or GlcNAc may reduce proinflammatory responses, promote myelin repair, and decrease neurodegeneration. Combined, the data suggest that GlcNAc deficiency may be associated with progressive disease and neurodegeneration in patients with MS."

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/fullarticle/2779917%C2%A0

• Advertisement

I have been having strange symptoms lately. I take baclofen for leg tremors etc , all on the right side. These last few weeks I've been feeling the same sensations in my left leg. Worrying? All MRI's show stable , no new lesions. Maybe just a passing phase.

Advertisement