Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How difficult is it to get a job in Ireland?

Options
  • 12-08-2011 5:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭

I only recently saw the unemployment statistics for Ireland, and I was shocked to see that it has topped 14%. The steady rise in unemployment rates makes pretty depressing reading. I have been in college and then abroad for a lot of the recessionary period, and thus I haven't been involved in much job hunting in Ireland.

Therefore I am wondering just how difficult it is to get a job in Ireland. Having spoken to friends, I've received mixed reports. Some have found jobs right after graduating, some returned to education because there was nothing available and other emigrated.

So, in general, for people with and without college backgrounds or skills, how difficult is finding a job in Ireland these days? What are your experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

I only recently saw the unemployment statistics for Ireland, and I was shocked to see that it has topped 14%. The steady rise in unemployment rates makes pretty depressing reading. I have been in college and then abroad for a lot of the recessionary period, and thus I haven't been involved in much job hunting in Ireland.

Therefore I am wondering just how difficult it is to get a job in Ireland. Having spoken to friends, I've received mixed reports. Some have found jobs right after graduating, some returned to education because there was nothing available and other emigrated.

So, in general, for people with and without college backgrounds or skills, how difficult is finding a job in Ireland these days? What are your experiences?

The number one thing that matters when getting a job is the industry you are looking for a job.
    I work in IT. I mainly do consulting and programming. There are loads of jobs out there at all levels in IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It really depends on where you are, and what qualifications you have.

If you're an average working guy, like myself, you'll find it much harder to find steady work.
    Unfortunately I didn't go to college in my younger years, but have been working since the age of 16.
    Despite my 10+ years of actually working, it can be a pain for me to even get a sales job in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

It can be a pain. I've been out of work for a while now, going back to school now. Every interview I go to they ask "Why have you been out of work so long?" What am I gonna tell them? A lie, or do I say "Because none of you **** will fucking hire me."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'm finding it really hard to get a bog-standard retail job, and I have 3 years relevant retail experience- rejections without interview, rejections with interview, it's depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

For people without college backgrounds or skills, it's very difficult I would imagine.

The IT sector seems to be picking up, I got a job offer today :). The position requires experience though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Balloon Of a fish in C.

Ive heard of people getting some great jobs in the last few months ,but most labour intensive jobs are scarce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Ive heard of people getting some great jobs in the last few months ,but most labour intensive jobs are scarce.

True, jobs in the service industries (hospitality, retail, etc) are difficult to come by as it construction. Otherwise the IT industry (and all its spin-offs- online sales and marketing, etc) are in a boom right now and companies are hiring left right and center. If you're a Java Developer with 5+ years experience I could have you a job in less than a week, programmers are in HUGE demand, so much so that we are now having to go down to Spain/Eastern Europe to get them up here to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

What is this peculiar word job you talk of ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

There's lots of IT jobs out there at the moment. Plenty where I work. PM me for details.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Labour intensive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

If you're into IT and are a self starter it's easy to find a job. If you're a brainwashed drone who memorised the Leaving Cert and expects everything in life then it's difficult to find work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Nolanger wrote: »
    If you're into IT and are a self starter it's easy to find a job. If you're a brainwashed drone who memorised the Leaving Cert and expects everything in life then it's difficult to find work.
    So they're the only two options? If you don't like IT then you're fcuked basically?

Bollox to that, I'm emigrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

What's the story with grad jobs in the IT sector? It seems that most jobs require experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Seems to be lots going if you have a good degree in electronic or electrical engineering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

Got 2 rejection emails today. I'm applying for jobs I'm qualified for, that I have experience in, that I'm interested in spending a few years in. I'm also applying for shops, bars, hotels, anything. If only I was in IT, sounds like I'd be sorted then. ;(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kjmbreslin

Jobs in ireland are hard got by. I have yet to get a position related to my degree, but have worked as a sales rep and more recently in a local fish factory. Although I am very frustrated in not securing work in my chosen field I have bridged the gap between education and a full time job in my sector by doing voluntary work experience one day a week for over a year now.

I feel like we are on the crest of a wave in this little country, hard to know if things are going to get better or worse in the future which will affect the jobs prospects in the country, but I believe we all are genuinely trying our best to get by day by day and earn a few bob.

And by reading other posts on boards it is obvious that alot of people seem to think that its as simple as emigrating but some of us have genuine commitments here at home which makes the thought of moving away all the more harder. I feel that people who would rather stay at home than moving away should be allowed to do so. I would go as far as to say that I should not be forced out of my home, the country I love over the head of the carless bankers in this country who have cippled our country. Therefore I will say 'NO' to anybody who says you should move abroad. I am going to stay here and take any job and keep up my voluntary work until things mend be it 5, 10 or 15 years!!!

There are jobs out there as alot of people have said, mostly IT, or pharmaceutical mostly which is great for any people qualified in these sectors. There are still sales jobs and the like out there for the rest of us :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

there are jobs out there, they might not be the highest paying ever, but it's better than sitting on your arse all day
    unfortunately there are too many lazy cnuts who have made the dole their "lifestyle choice" and us hardworking indivuals will have to finance them for the foreseeable future

• Registered Users Posts: 30,358 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Well I wasn't able to get work experience at all. Even said on CVs I would do it for free. I've been told because I have no relevant work experience in the accounting/finance field I will not get a job when I finish my degree next year.

From my own experience I find it doesn't matter what you know but who you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there is plenty of work in the catering sector at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Nolanger wrote: »

Brainwashed by who? What are you on about? The first sentence makes sense and the second half of the second second sentence has potential if it was attached to something else.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jam

It's interesting to see how these trends go.

I remember in secondary circa 2000~ IT was where it was at, Ireland the e-hub of Europe and all that. Doing my LC in 2003 it was starting to drop off because of the oversaturation of IT grads in the market and now there's a shortfall.

Since everyone has been doing business, cos sure aren't we all going to be businessmen, selling, trading, living the high life? Now there's an overabundance of business grads (a useless crop of eejits at any stage), and they're crying out for IT grads again.

And at all stages the sciences were never popular and business have been begging for grads for decades, and only now is it picking up because of the good-jobbers (which is a poor motivation in itself.)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Jobs in IT - you want fat stacks, its the place to go

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

virtually nothing in construction,IT seems to be the way to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

One thing that annoys me is one of my good friends boyfriend, who is qualified as an accountant but has struggled to get work for a while, was always complaining about having no work and having to be on the dole so she asked me as a favour if I could get him any work. I rang around and managed to land him a guaranteed job order picking in a factory run by a friend of mine, decent money, not going to make you a millionaire but above minimum wage, all he had to do was ring the boss and it was his and he turned it down because he "didn't spend 4 years in college to drag boxes around".

That attitude really fucking pissed me off no end. I really hope this "I want to work but not in a job that's beneath me" shite isn't common...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

everyone wants actuaries

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

there is plenty of work in the catering sector at the moment

two sugars please:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Without meaning to sound brash, what's keeping so many single people here? There are places in the world with really good standards of living where you could get a job worthy of your qualifications.

I can perfectly understand people with school-going kids or couples with commitments here not going, but single people have a whole world to go to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Why is it that people complain about the difficulty of getting a job, when an unqualified teenager like me can get a job after only attending three interviews? I don't have anything that sets me apart from the crowd, but I still get a job? Try moar if you can't get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

bluewolf wrote: »
    everyone wants actuaries

One guy I know is on £190,000 per annum in Britain as an actuary. He even set up his own company to minimise his tax liability there, and he still hasn't got all his professional exams - I think he has three exams left but he has been doing them for about 10 years. Funny down-to-earth guy, too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Why is it that people complain about the difficulty of getting a job, when an unqualified teenager like me can get a job after only attending three interviews? I don't have anything that sets me apart from the crowd, but I still get a job? Try moar if you can't get one.
    If you are over qualified places might be reluctant to take you as they know you'll be off once something better comes up

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement