Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onion Rings

Options
  • 29-07-2011 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

Me and a friend got chatting about them earlier, and now the craving had begun.

Where can one get some good onion rings in the city? I'm not talking McDonalds, KFC or similar generic greasy messes.

I'm looking for some really tasty primo shít. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

McDonaghs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Not a fan of them myself but Eddie Rockets ones are supposed to be nice enough

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

The Frontdoor.

Seriously the best onion rings I've ever gotten anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd recommend Harry Fitz (at bottom of Shop St) or Vinny's (Dominic St). Both do good freshly made Onion rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Jim wrote: »
    Seriously the best onion rings I've ever gotten anywhere.

Now that's quite the claim. How good are we talking Jim?

Weeping with joy upon consumption? Soiling oneself because you don't want to leave the establishment? Nibbling on the tops of your fingers two days after 'cause you can still vaguely taste them on the skin?

• Advertisement

Well, I said "Holy ****" after I put one in my mouth. If that's any description to go by.

Hit up the Front Door earlier. Gotta say, massively underwhelmed. Granted it's race week so the kitchen might not be as attentive as usual.

I'll head back sometime next month, but yeah... Not satisfied.

Harry Fitz next. Then Vinny's.

Any more suggestions, keep 'em coming in.

(Relatively) New fish and chip shop down on Middle Street? Anyone any ideas about it. Saw onion rings on the menu as I was scuttling past.

Hit up the Front Door earlier. Gotta say, massively underwhelmed. Granted it's race week so the kitchen might not be as attentive as usual.

I'll head back sometime next month, but yeah... Not satisfied.

Harry Fitz next. Then Vinny's.

Any more suggestions, keep 'em coming in.

(Relatively) New fish and chip shop down on Middle Street? Anyone any ideas about it. Saw onion rings on the menu as I was scuttling past.
    Disappointing.

Disappointing.

and then some... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Is this the Jack Duggan's place?

Onions rings are poor Very poor. Frozen Green Isle/Birds Eye ones out of a bag.

Chips and burger are lovely though! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

+1 for McDonagh's onion rings btw.

Savage.

Got McDonaghs onion rings once as takeaway. They were totally crap. Soggy and horrible.

Probably a once off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

The onions rings in eddie rockets are unreal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Inky_Lady

I am a divil for onion rings. The only decent ones I've had since moving to Galway were in the kebab house a few weeks ago. I was after a geansai-load of pints in the bierhaus, so I'm not sure if my vote counts! I had them destroyed by the time I'd reached the door - nom :-D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

McDonaghs for me too. Always have them when I'm there.
    Got McDonaghs onion rings once as takeaway. They were totally crap. Soggy and horrible.

Probably a once off though.

I wouldn't say it was a once off Jim
    How long were they in the bag before you ate them ?

Onion Rings are best eaten on a plate when cooked.
    Anything longer than 5 minutes wrapped up will ruin them.

I wouldn't bother with them for a take away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lasgaviotas

The Huntsman do very good ones..as do the Galway Plate on the Tuam Road (is now known as a pizza place but still serve all their original dishes)..I HATE the frozen ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

becouse of that tread, I had onion rings in Skeff.

God, it was so horrible :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

It's been a couple years but we had some at Busker Browns and they were amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

I don't like them much but I;ve tried the Rockets; one and are OK.
    They have sweet potato fries that are excellent though. Great idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Don't want to sound like a mucksavage but Supermacs have great onion rings. Admittedly this was after a tipple but still...

• Advertisement

Got the onion rings from Super Bites on Bridge Street delivered to the house the other day.

Now admittedly they were a little soggy from transit but still really good. Reminded me of the onion rings from the old chipper in Oranmore in the 90's.

Nostalgiatastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

Apparently, McDonald's don't do onion rings.They tried to sell me mozzarella sticks instead. Important information I thought ye should know.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Not quite in the city but- Nicos' in Claregalway do a mighty onion ring. Usually there's at least 2 quite chunky and 2 moderately chunky rings in the pack. They lash on the vinegar if you like it that way. They are by far THE BEST chipper in all of Galway.Well worth a visit,though they don't open on Mondays. Do try!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 catz852002

Kettle of Fish (on cross st i tnk) opposite Buskers Bar (and also have a branch in Gort) do THE TASTIEST onion rings ever in the world and also the best hand-battered chicken goujons to be had in Galway! Full of flavours! Highly reccommended! (",)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Think Ive found a new contender: The new fish n chip place in Salthill. Lovely perfectly formed homemade rings. Absolutly no grease and they dont fall apart when you bite them. Menu says 2euro for 4 but they gave me seven B-). Lovely chips as well 2.25 for a huge portion.
    Pity I dont live in Salthill though :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

Think Ive found a new contender: The new fish n chip place in Salthill. Lovely perfectly formed homemade rings. Absolutly no grease and they dont fall apart when you bite them. Menu says 2euro for 4 but they gave me seven B-). Lovely chips as well 2.25 for a huge portion.
    Pity I dont live in Salthill though :-(

where is it and what is the name of it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

bensweeney wrote: »
    Ah now,dont be stalking out there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

bensweeney wrote: »

Salt 'n' Pepper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Salt 'n' Pepper is hardly new. It must be there almost 20 years now.

There's another new fish and chips place called "Salthill Traditional Fish and Chips" down there too now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Salt 'n' Pepper is hardly new. It must be there almost 20 years now.

There's another new fish and chips place called "Salthill Traditional Fish and Chips" down there too now.
    Yep thats the one they are on about not Salt n Pepper.

Advertisement