Septic tank bombshell for thousands of rural dwellers - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-10-2011, 02:27   #16
DaCor

you stated it was a septic tank made out of blocks. Is the inside lined to prevent leakage or seeping?

sorry if Im way off here, Im only going by what you posted, hence my comment that it has to be leaking sewerage
Advertisement
20-10-2011, 07:51   #17
galwayrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCor View Post
you stated it was a septic tank made out of blocks. Is the inside lined to prevent leakage or seeping?

sorry if Im way off here, Im only going by what you posted, hence my comment that it has to be leaking sewerage
Fair enough, i should have added 'if the block tank was built to a proper standard.
20-10-2011, 11:10   #18
tred

Quote:
Originally Posted by galwayrush View Post
Fair enough, i should have added 'if the block tank was built to a proper standard.
Tanks, were built block on flat in the 60s and 70's, i wonder how many of them were sealed and plastered inside!. Not sure what was saved on building that tank, over just buying a figure of 8 tank for 800 euro!

A grand now, would get you a precast tank, but if there enforcing a treatment plant, then your talking between 2500 and 4500 depending on if u go for mass concretete/Plastic/peat modules etc.
and then there is the energy consumption.
21-10-2011, 14:46   #19
Snacker

Quote:

sorry, but there is no way that is not leaking raw sewerage into the water table
There is a big drop behind our house and the tank is very deep in the ground and no river/lake for miles
21-10-2011, 14:50   #20
Snacker

Quote:

We don't really care what it's leaking to be honest it's very deep and it doesn't affect anyone whatsoever nearby all fields for miles downhill behind my house. We had no choice had to save money.

As far as I know it's plastered on the inside and there's some kind of outlet to let
everything out, it was a few years now can't remember all details...

My main point is. European Union, F**K OFF
Advertisement
23-10-2011, 22:03   #21
DaCor

and people wonder how crypotsporidium, ecoli etc occurs in our water
(2) thanks from:
23-10-2011, 23:01   #22
Snacker

Quote:
and people wonder how crypotsporidium, ecoli etc occurs in our water
sure i live in the absolute middle of nowhere why does it matter?
25-10-2011, 21:01   #23
John_Rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snacker View Post
We don't really care what it's leaking to be honest it's very deep and it doesn't affect anyone
This type of attitude shows that things need to be monitored and fines need to be slapped out. People are happy to let their tanks leak in to the water table. Not good. I have spent a lot of time in and on Irish rivers and the damage from this type of thing is fairly evident.
Thanks from:
25-10-2011, 21:07   #24
mcgarry098

what a pile of sh1t ;D ;D
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-10-2011, 23:53   #25
Head The Wall

Quote:
We don't really care what it's leaking to be honest it's very deep and it doesn't affect anyone whatsoever
Out of shight, out of mind

I'll get my coat
26-10-2011, 04:52   #26
Snacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Rambo View Post
This type of attitude shows that things need to be monitored and fines need to be slapped out. People are happy to let their tanks leak in to the water table. Not good. I have spent a lot of time in and on Irish rivers and the damage from this type of thing is fairly evident.
Ya but why does it matter? Most lakes near me are full of dirty rotten pike anyway! I'm one house. There's large towns near me that the gov wouldn't fund a sewage plant for the last ten years. gov should be fined out of their wages not the now non-working class!!
26-10-2011, 04:55   #27
Snacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head The Wall View Post
Out of shight, out of mind

I'll get my coat
Out of mind? p.s. we burn our rubbish too. can't afford to pay the rip off private bin fees. It makes sense to us. by the way we can't afford broadband either. I live away from home hence why im on this! it's our garden we're ruining no one elses! I know it sounds backward or whatever, but it makes most financial sense to us, which in these times is most important to us. both my parents worked all their lives. both on social welfare now for last few months.
27-10-2011, 16:55   #28
Head The Wall

You do know the worlds longest river is 4,000. This should give you an idea of how far water can travel, just because you think it sinks into the earth and "disappears" doesn't make it so, There is a huge amount of limestone in Ireland through which water flows underground.

The stereotype that springs to my mind is the thick country farmer who won't be told he's wrong. It still doesn't make him right though
Thanks from:
27-10-2011, 17:00   #29
sincere113
Closed Account

I will block up my tank, tell them I don't have one, and sh1te in my garden.....
Thanks from:
27-10-2011, 21:40   #30
John_Rambo

Quote:
we burn our rubbish too
Gas, I'm from a city and I have been broke, but I never resorted to polluting or littering.

You'd imagine most rural people would have some sort of connection with the land. Some people have no respect for the land, the rivers, themselves or their neighbours. Snacker, I'm afraid you and your parents fall in to that category.

Last edited by John_Rambo; 27-10-2011 at 21:43.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion